Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

'Un-Honda-like' problems plague new plant in Mexico

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-16, 09:33 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Maybe they will all learn by the Takata adventure, of where not to build stuff, just because its cheap labor.
Anyone got a tummy ache from Nabisco products yet? I sure have. Yup all made in mexico. Think about it, under paid people get disgusted and don't care about what they are doing.
Old 02-14-16, 05:20 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Manufacturers will always shift towards cheap labor. It's written into their DNA.

There's a huge move away from China to Mexico for a lot of manufacturing. Rising labor costs in China, fear of intellectual property theft of goods produced there and high shipping costs (well, use to be high) has made many companies reassess their manufacturing strategy. NAFTA, labor costs that are on par with China (now) and proximity has made Mexico extremely competitive. Whether you think that's good or bad is another story.

I was surprised to find out my last TV was built in Mexico. It works fine, but I wasn't expecting that. I'm so use to seeing my electronics Made in China or Made in Taiwan (or heck, I remember Made in Japan).

The only problems with Mexico, IMO, is the issues pointed out in this article. Whether the Mexican government can actually squash these problems remains to be seen (doubtful). However, if these issues continue, I would imagine many companies start quantifying the costs of these issues into their overall cost of production. If quality issues arise or other problems, it may come back to haunt them.

I know a lot of car manufacturers have their engines built in Mexico, then shipped to Canada or the States for assembly. I think VW was one of the early ones that started the trend. Tire manufacturers are also moving to Mexico. A lot of Pirellis are built there because it's cheap. Look at the side of any P7 Plus and you'll most likely see Made in Mexico.
Old 02-14-16, 09:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

as said, the article is a year and a half old, and products come from all corners of the planet now, with relatively little differences in quality overall.

i don't see any big dive in reported honda quality, although of course they had recall issues, but then they all do.
Old 02-14-16, 10:50 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
as said, the article is a year and a half old, and products come from all corners of the planet now, with relatively little differences in quality overall.

i don't see any big dive in reported honda quality, although of course they had recall issues, but then they all do.
I guess you don't purchase many auto parts, if you really think there is no difference in quality.
Maybe not to an untrained eye, the real test is how long the part lasts, like measured in weeks rather than years. There is a huge difference especially in a country that will cut any corner that can be cut, when you don't have sugar or other sweetner on hand because all the other plants need it too, then you substitute antifreeze like in the china tooth paste deal. Yeah no quality issue there huh? Or the hundreds of dead pets from tainted pet food from china. Someone needs a reality check.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_pet_food_recalls

Or maybe it was done on purpose.
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/18985512/n.../#.VsF1jPfTncs
So how come that happened? Is this good quality control, over something so stinking super simple???????????
Its total BS is what it is. And that is the country where all our bandages and other medical stuff comes from. Yeah aint free trade cool, maybe for the big companys. Not for us.

Last edited by dicer; 02-14-16 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-15-16, 11:36 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

The Mexican government is corrupt, incompetent and weak IMO. I wouldn't be surprised to be reading about the cartels extorting money from the car makers with kidnappings, threats of terrorism, etc. Looks like they're already stealing from them.

There is a reason why so many people have immigrated from Mexico for the last 50 years.
Old 02-15-16, 09:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
There is a huge difference especially in a country that will cut any corner that can be cut, when you don't have sugar or other sweetner on hand because all the other plants need it too, then you substitute antifreeze like in the china tooth paste deal. Yeah no quality issue there huh? Or the hundreds of dead pets from tainted pet food from china. Someone needs a reality check.
(links)
nice article from 9 years ago.

yup, definitely corruption around the world, no denying. happens in the u.s. too.
Old 02-16-16, 02:12 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Yeah 9 years of searing it into memory.

This is the edited part.
I feel all these countries could manufacture quality stuff, I know the people a very capable of it. Maybe the workers are just under a lot of stress, and the low pay doesn't give incentive enough. It happens here too, when you have a bad boss or company owner.
I have been impressed by some of the power tools from China now, they have improved a lot from say 10 or so years ago. Our problem now is we pay US made prices for what the importers pay penny's for. And that's not fair to the workers at the plants.

And any country that is manufacturing any item, should do there utmost to make sure only quality leaves their factories, they only hurt their reputation when quality is put on back burner and will end up with no customers in the end. Maybe they will figure it out someday.

Last edited by dicer; 02-19-16 at 03:16 AM. Reason: just more to add.