Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Test-Drive: 2016 Lincoln MKC 2.3L Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-16, 12:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Virtually none of the vehicles in stock here in southern Arizona have AWD when it is optional. The additional weight, cost, and maintenance are not worth it for the few times we might need it. The fact that it usually comes at the cost of poorer gas mileage doesn't help.
Yes, among other areas, I specifically mentioned areas near the Mexican border where snow does not often occur, and where AWD/4WD is not likely to be popular unless one has a classic off-roader and simply drives across the desert-floor itself.

Personally I would prefer not having AWD particularly on RWD vehicles. On some vehicles, like the new 400 hp Continental, AWD is needed to control torque steer and get the high power to the ground.
Steve
AWD also helps lessen understeer by taking some of the percentage-load off the front wheels, which otherwise have to do all of both the steering and propulsion at the same time.
Old 02-12-16, 01:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
For all of Canada, including Toronto area, the 3IS is available in RWD,but only on the 200t version. It is still outsold by the AWD version by 10:1 margin. Same goes for the RC, it can be bought as a RWD version, but AWD trumps.

As Jill said, above a certain price point, there is no option other than AWD.
I never paid attention to the 3IS (my sister does have one in AWD form), but the LS and GS were offered in RWD until more recently whem they just went AWD only. Also, no 200t for the GS either. You can't get a 2WD Lexus SUV in Canada.

Outside of the GTA, AWD is very popular. But also, small cars dominate as gas is more money in Canada, green levies on SUVs can add substantial costs to a large V8 model in Ontario, and overall tax is 13%, the add all the fees.

I think the LX570 is $124k all in with a $104 MSRP.
Old 02-13-16, 07:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I never paid attention to the 3IS (my sister does have one in AWD form), but the LS and GS were offered in RWD until more recently whem they just went AWD only. Also, no 200t for the GS either. You can't get a 2WD Lexus SUV in Canada.
Though the IS250AWD doesn't have the 350AWD's power (like some 2.5L AWD Subarus and Infinitis, it can barely get out of its own way), the 250AWD still sells like hotcakes here in the D.C. area. From what I can tell, it is quite popular with females.

Outside of the GTA, AWD is very popular. But also, small cars dominate as gas is more money in Canada, green levies on SUVs can add substantial costs to a large V8 model in Ontario, and overall tax is 13%, the add all the fees.
I don't want to get too far off-topic, but do they at least use that 13% sales-tax in Ontario to keep the roads and infrastructure in decent shape? The frigid winters there probably take a toll on pavement...as they are (Increasingly) doing so in this area. They have made made at least some progress here in the D.C. area with re-paving and repairs....but this area is very affluent; other places without a big tax-base are suffering.
Old 02-13-16, 08:58 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Though the IS250AWD doesn't have the 350AWD's power (like some 2.5L AWD Subarus and Infinitis, it can barely get out of its own way), the 250AWD still sells like hotcakes here in the D.C. area. From what I can tell, it is quite popular with females.
How can it sell like hotcakes, when it is discontinued. Perhaps you meant 'did sell like'. You can only get an IS300 AWD or an IS350 AWD right now.
Old 02-13-16, 10:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I don't want to get too far off-topic, but do they at least use that 13% sales-tax in Ontario to keep the roads and infrastructure in decent shape? The frigid winters there probably take a toll on pavement...as they are (Increasingly) doing so in this area. They have made made at least some progress here in the D.C. area with re-paving and repairs....but this area is very affluent; other places without a big tax-base are suffering.
The roads in the GTA are like any other major metro city in the North. Some areas are good while some of course some improvement. I travel from Toronto to Rochester on a weekly basis, usually Mondays to Toronto and Friday night back to Rochester. I barely ever drive once I arrive to Toronto. One thing that I have noticed in the GTA vs other areas in new New York state or Ohio is that the highways in the GTA are almost exclusively divided by a barrier while it all depends in the New York State. Also, the lighted covered of the GTA.

Last time I was in D.C. they had the reversible rush hour lane if I remember. Do they still do that? Have you ever been to the GTA. The GTA area is one of the largest metro areas behind New York and Los Angeles. I think there are 10 million people within a 2 hour drive or something like that.

As for the IS250AWD selling like hot cakes, yes it does, but the price is lower than a 350 so that is probably the reason. My sister is selling her IS250awd, 2010 model for $15K with 60,000 miles.
Old 02-13-16, 10:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
How can it sell like hotcakes, when it is discontinued. Perhaps you meant 'did sell like'. You can only get an IS300 AWD or an IS350 AWD right now.
I guess he didn't realize it has been discontinued. It was sold for 10 years if I am correct, even I forgot that it is no longer available.
Old 02-13-16, 12:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I gotta agree on AWD. Even here Lexus does not even stock RWD or FWD vehicles where there is an AWD variant. Even BMW who does stock some RWD vehicles for enthusiasts, most of the vehicles on dealer lots here are X Drive. Same is true of MB, and I have never even seen a FWD Audi.

I know, I tried to get a RWD GS and a RWD LS. Impossible other than a factory order...they won't even swap for one.
Old 02-13-16, 12:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I guess he didn't realize it has been discontinued. It was sold for 10 years if I am correct, even I forgot that it is no longer available.
Yeah......Thanks. I forgot the 2.0T was going to replace the 2.5L V6.
Old 02-13-16, 08:08 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Same is true of MB, and I have never even seen a FWD Audi.
Amen to that. And I would never drive one.
Old 02-15-16, 04:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Same is true of MB, and I have never even seen a FWD Audi.

Originally Posted by dseag2
Amen to that. And I would never drive one.
You may have not physically seen one yet, but American-market A3s are available with FWD.
Old 02-15-16, 07:36 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You may have not physically seen one yet, but American-market A3s are available with FWD.
Yes, I'm aware of that. Doesn't mean I would own one.
Old 02-15-16, 08:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
Yes, I'm aware of that. Doesn't mean I would own one.
I reviewed an A3 when the latest version came out. A nice small car, but the 1.8L turbo was somewhat unimpressive.......they should have used the 2.0T, especially with AWD.
Old 02-16-16, 02:26 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I had an A3 2.0t loaner in Prestige trim. A very nice small car. Solid, good handling and quick with nice amenities. Kind of pricey though.
Old 02-16-16, 02:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

it is easy to check AWD vs FWD... on cars.com, you can check dealer inventory and for MKC it is 2800 AWD, 1900 FWD.
Old 02-16-16, 04:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

so we seem to have agreed/concluded that for luxury vehicles, awd is more popular than fwd overall which makes sense as the added cost is not significant and it's a nice to have even if someone doesn't need it, and it differentiates the buyer from the masses.

Quick Reply: MM Test-Drive: 2016 Lincoln MKC 2.3L Turbo