Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Over the mileage on my lease - Any help/advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-16, 10:12 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda
If he buys the car outright, won't he have to pay sales tax for the buy out amount? Then try and sell it.
Yes. With the amount of miles OP has gone over, the loss may be the same all around no matter the avenue taken. But hey, it's worth a shot and some phone calls
Old 02-13-16, 04:42 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Personal experience with Carmax has led me to believe they no longer give the highest trade in value. Had this happen to me on two separate vehicles I tried to sell to them. Just take the penalty and ask for a discount on the excessive mileage charges.
Old 02-14-16, 08:48 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still don't understand why you go 19,000 miles over understanding the consequences when you have another paid off car sitting in the driveway. And apparently this car is good enough that it is going to be your main car after the lease.

I think it would make the best sense to buy the car at lease end instead of paying $4,000+ in a penalty and leave with nothing. While also selling your older car.
Old 02-14-16, 08:53 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I would also just buy at the preset residual, then turn around and sell it for that residual or maybe even more if the car is worth more than the residual.

Research what that car is selling for on the secondary market (in a similar condition and mileage) and if it is worth more than the residual, you may actually make money. Even if it is less, the difference (or loss) of buying and selling might be less than the overage penalty.
Old 02-14-16, 09:02 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I still don't understand why you go 19,000 miles over understanding the consequences when you have another paid off car sitting in the driveway. And apparently this car is good enough that it is going to be your main car after the lease.

I think it would make the best sense to buy the car at lease end instead of paying $4,000+ in a penalty and leave with nothing. While also selling your older car.
This is what I don't understand. It's not like it was 100 miles or even 1000 miles. You went over 19k miles? Sorry to say, but that is just plain foolish. Even if you didn't have the other car at the time, you knew what your lease rates were and about overage charges. Going 19k miles over is just ridiculous. You are going to pay one way or another for it.
Old 02-14-16, 01:44 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I still don't understand why you go 19,000 miles over understanding the consequences when you have another paid off car sitting ....
Vanity, Pride, Status comes to mind
Old 02-14-16, 04:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
This is what I don't understand. It's not like it was 100 miles or even 1000 miles. You went over 19k miles? Sorry to say, but that is just plain foolish. Even if you didn't have the other car at the time, you knew what your lease rates were and about overage charges. Going 19k miles over is just ridiculous. You are going to pay one way or another for it.

Originally Posted by -J-P-L
I still don't understand why you go 19,000 miles over understanding the consequences when you have another paid off car sitting ....
Originally Posted by chickoo
Vanity, Pride, Status comes to mind
Look, before you start tossing stones, give the guy a break. OK...yes, it may have been foolish to drive what is essentially double the mileage he signed for....no one is denying that. But, First, he clearly stated that it was due to unforeseen circumstances. Second, we've probably all done dumb things in our lives that we're not proud of and wish we could change. I agree he's probably going to pay at least some penalty for it, one way or the other, but there is nothing wrong with trying to find the least expensive way out of this mess. You would probably ask for ideas, too, if you were in his shoes.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-14-16 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-15-16, 05:05 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Look, before you start tossing stones, give the guy a break. OK...yes, it may have been foolish to drive what is essentially double the mileage he signed for....no one is denying that. But, First, he clearly stated that it was due to unforeseen circumstances. Second, we've probably all done dumb things in our lives that we're not proud of and wish we could change. I agree he's probably going to pay at least some penalty for it, one way or the other, but there is nothing wrong with trying to find the least expensive way out of this mess. You would probably ask for ideas, too, if you were in his shoes.
Yes to this.

There are only a few real options depending upon your financial situation. First, you MUST find out now what the car is worth on the open market. Go to your dealer and at least a couple of used car dealers and find out what they will give you for the car buying it from you. There is NO future in buying the car yourself and then selling it. You will almost surely not get any more than a dealer will give you for it anyway and you would be paying tax on it which a dealer does not have to do.

Other option is to call Lexus Financial NOW and tell them your situation and that you do not have $4700 to pay them for overage. As someone else suggested, see if they will lower the per mile rate. For them it's better than sending you to collections where they would still get a reduced amount after paying a collection company and getting whatever they can from you. Plus they get future goodwill for helping you out of a jam. Be honest with them and tell them what happened that got you into this bind.

BTW, Rhambler is correct, you also have to look at your residual buyout amount and compare that to what it's worth on the open market. I overlooked that point. But you also have to remember that normally you will also have to pay tax as has also been pointed out.

Good luck.

Last edited by jjscsix; 02-15-16 at 05:10 AM.
Old 02-15-16, 07:40 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, people who lease often don't check what the actual market value might be versus the set-in-stone residual. That residual was based on a guess years ago and in SOME cases the market value might actually be more than the residual value. Even for people who drive under the mileage limit, it might be worthwhile to just check and see as you might be able to turn a small profit if you can afford to buy and resell, taking all other things into consideration.

This isn't always the case and sometimes manufacturers will take a residual and artificially balloon it during a sanctioned deal, but even then, you never know until you check. Most manufacturers will either have an in-house residual or use a third-party like ALG in estimating market value years in advance. Remember, this is a guess and they are obliged to it whether it is worth more or less.
Old 02-15-16, 06:59 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sell the car!l and cut your loses
Originally Posted by MikeyTown
Hi all,

I got a good lease on a 4GS F-Sport a couple years ago. I love the car, but I have 3 payments left, so the lease is coming to an end.

Leaving the sob story out of things, I'll just say that I had some unforeseen circumstances that resulted in a lot more driving than I anticipated over the last 15 months, so I'm 19,000 miles over on my lease. I'm currently at the point where I'm just going to make my last 3 payments in a lump sum, and turn the car in early, so I don't keep accruing miles.

Due to the unforeseen circumstances, I won't be getting a new car right now. I have an older, paid-off, car... so my transportation needs are fulfilled. I'm looking forward to my next Lexus, but it's going to have to wait a little while.

19K miles at $0.25/mile (plus tax) is a hefty check to write. Does anyone know if Lexus will negotiate the mileage overage fees at all? Anything helps, so if anyone has experience with this, your input would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-16-16, 04:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xRYD3Rx
Drive the car into the Pacific Ocean.
Let the whales take care of it.
With all due respect, I wouldn't even joke abut that. Major insurance fraud is considered a felony in many states, and can carry a stiff prison sentence.
Old 02-16-16, 11:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I would try to sell out privately for more than it's worth. That is very possible, especially if you detail it up and wow a potential buyer. Or, you can extend the lease, let it sit for that period of time, and try to recoup some of the over-mileage. Either way, you usually always get more for any car when you sell it privately. Try that first before throwing in the towel.
Lastly, do not get another new car just because you are over-mileage and they'll forgive some for another. That is a bad financial decision (just like buying a car based on monthly payments). You are basically deferring the debt you owe today, to another date in time, PLUS more interest. Deal with it now and work yourself out of this problem instead of paying for it longterm.
Good luck.
Old 02-17-16, 06:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I would try to sell out privately for more than it's worth. That is very possible, especially if you detail it up and wow a potential buyer. Or, you can extend the lease, let it sit for that period of time, and try to recoup some of the over-mileage. Either way, you usually always get more for any car when you sell it privately. Try that first before throwing in the towel.
Lastly, do not get another new car just because you are over-mileage and they'll forgive some for another. That is a bad financial decision (just like buying a car based on monthly payments). You are basically deferring the debt you owe today, to another date in time, PLUS more interest. Deal with it now and work yourself out of this problem instead of paying for it longterm.
Good luck.

Good ponts, but with a private sale, you will probably need a Notary Public to witness and sign/approve the transfer of the title, verify the sales-price, and other legal paperwork. Also, there's the inevitable question of who is going to drive with who's plates on which car until the buyer gets to the DMV for his or her new set of license-plates. One good thing about dealerships is that they usually have all the necessary personnel and facilities (including both temporary and permanent license-plates, if necessary) to handle all of these formalities with a minimum of trouble or inconvenience. You also will not be exposed to possible thieves or carjackers at a dealership.