Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Ioniq (Prius Fighter)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-16, 10:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
That 43hp (43.5PS) electric motor MAY be able to power the car to 120km/h (75mph) in ideal, lab conditions with just 1 driver, but I don't think it will be successful in real-life, on-the-road conditions, where the car will be fighting winds, grade changes and with a load of more than just the driver; that motor will probably not be powerful enough.

With such a small motor, the electric portion of the hybrid powertrain is likely to play more of a boost function than any real EV drive function. The car will be reliant on the gasoline engine and fuel consumption will suffer as a result.

this is cheaper system than Toyotas. Lets see how it does in real life. Maybe it will magically do better with significantly cheaper system. But then again, Sonata Hybrid was supposed to do that too and it was really bad to start with.

It is also size of Auris hybrid/Focus/Golf, not Prius. Cheaper system, smaller car... this will likely start $2k cheaper than Prius and in Europe compare to significantly cheaper (than Prius) Auris Hybrid.
Old 02-16-16, 05:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

very nice review from Korean media on YouTube... best part is that it is translated to english via subtitles, so we can follow it.

It is one size smaller than Prius, so back space is not good, it seems smaller than Corolla/Scion iM, but otherwise seems nice to me. Trunk is also on the small size.Wheelbase is quite big so dunno where the space went. Also, very curious that they use foot brake, I guess that confirms that the car is made with USA in mind.

Here is the video:
Old 02-16-16, 06:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Having watched full video:
- Overall size is like Auris Hybrid (Scion iM, Golf, etc).
- Rear headroom is small, back space is narrow, trunk is small.
- Like new changes to Hyundai interiors, steering wheel is designed great and overall it is fine. Reviewer said leather felt cheap. I still dont like their light blue lights in interior.
- New hybrid system with DCT feels nice. Seems like it can power car for longer time on battery alone.
- FInally Hyundai auto-brake system with radar cruise control. Great! It does not have all speed cruise control but still, good step fwd for Hyundai.
- Foot operated brake - built for USA? (like Prius)
- Plastic inserts in wheels - like in Prius.
- Campaign for the car is "fun to drive" (exactly like Prius)
- Road noise seems high.
- Multilink suspension is nice.

- Reviewer got 35 MPG during test drive which was mostly highway drive. This is a lot lower than Prius G4 during test drives where every reporter we ever red got really good real life mileage, usually in 50's and even some in 60's (which didnt happen with Prius G3).

It seems that Hyundai has once again optimized for tests. I think people might get p/o if they get 10-20 MPG less than EPA (Hyundai estimates over 50 MPG combined).

Price for Korea will be $22k. I think thats at least 10%-15% less than Priius there. So quite possibly we could see this starting at 18-19k in the USA which would be pretty decent price.

I think more interesting comparo would be to Auris Hybrid in Europe due to similar size. Auris also uses older hybrid system, so Ioniq might compare better to it than Prius.
Old 02-17-16, 03:37 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

35 mpg is really low for a small hybrid. If the previous gen Prius could get over 50 mpg in real world urban driving, the Ioniq should do better.

I wonder if the electric motor and/or battery pack is too small so it forces the engine to run most of the time. It also looks similar to a Honda IMA or VW hybrid setup, with the electric motor attached to the transmission, instead of the Toyota or GM-style planetary gear setup. No info on hybrid and plugin battery capacities either.

Last edited by chromedome; 02-17-16 at 03:49 AM.
Old 02-17-16, 06:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

waste... of... time... dead... on... arrival.
Old 02-17-16, 06:32 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah if this doesn't hit mpg targets then don't bother.
Old 02-17-16, 10:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chromedome
35 mpg is really low for a small hybrid. If the previous gen Prius could get over 50 mpg in real world urban driving, the Ioniq should do better.

I wonder if the electric motor and/or battery pack is too small so it forces the engine to run most of the time. It also looks similar to a Honda IMA or VW hybrid setup, with the electric motor attached to the transmission, instead of the Toyota or GM-style planetary gear setup. No info on hybrid and plugin battery capacities either.
well truth be told, we have some reviewers do high 30's and low 40's in G3 Prius... However, we are not talking about G3 Prius anymore, G4 is already out months (6-12 months?) before Ioniq.
Old 02-17-16, 10:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Yeah if this doesn't hit mpg targets then don't bother.
took Ford hybrids 2-3 years before people realized they are not getting close to their ratings. And reviewers and buyers have been pointing it out from day 1.

So if EPA rates it 55 MPG combined, and people get 40 MPG on average, it will sell well at $18k-19k for few years until it gets reputation for not doing its EPA numbers.
Old 02-18-16, 05:06 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
took Ford hybrids 2-3 years before people realized they are not getting close to their ratings. And reviewers and buyers have been pointing it out from day 1.

So if EPA rates it 55 MPG combined, and people get 40 MPG on average, it will sell well at $18k-19k for few years until it gets reputation for not doing its EPA numbers.
Except people are already weary of Hyundai mpg ratings in the US because of that whole debacle form 2-3 years ago. https://hyundaimpginfo.com/customerinfo/affected-models
Old 03-23-16, 01:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2017 Hyundai Ioniq

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/03/23/2...#slide-3840809
Old 03-30-16, 11:24 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

So I got a close look at the Ioniq today (as well as the Genesis G90). The Ioniq is a handsome looking hybrid. Much nicer than the new Prius IMO. Whether or not is has competitive real world performance compared to the Prius is the real question.

Last edited by yardie876; 03-30-16 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-30-16, 02:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by yardie876
So I got a close look at the Ioniq today (as well as the Genesis G90). The Ioniq is a handsome looking hybrid. Much nicer than the new Prius IMO. Whether or not is has competitive real world performance compared to the Prius is the real question.
well they have changed expected mpg several times in their media briefings, so end result is that it should have mpg sticker higher than Prius in the USA (but not in Europe).

So I dont think people buying will know about real life performance, or care about it.

however, hyundai is planning 70k sales worldwide in 2017 for all 3 versions combined which leads me to think that pricing wont end up being that good as media reported so far. Prius will likely go well over 600k in 2016.

It is not competing vs Prius, it is competing with every vehicle in the class. So if it looks good, drives good, has good equipment, gets rated at 55 MPG, has 140hp and costs similar to any other hatchback, I dont see why wouldnt it get 200k sales worldwide or more.

For instance, Elantra gets up to 28k with same equipment this car has, why wouldnt people get it over Elantra and get 20+ MPG? I dont get it, something isnt right with all the info we have so far. Pricing should not be high because Hyundai chief engineer said that they went with cheaper system than Toyota's to keep the costs down.
Old 03-30-16, 04:16 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

True. If it can pull off 55mpg it'll be very competitive in its class.

Here's some pics I snapped:
Attached Thumbnails Hyundai Ioniq (Prius Fighter)-photo257.jpg   Hyundai Ioniq (Prius Fighter)-photo814.jpg  
Old 03-30-16, 05:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
True. If it can pull off 55mpg it'll be very competitive in its class.

Here's some pics I snapped:
Did you rip off the cover?!
Old 03-30-16, 07:00 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hyundai offers up a triple-threat with the all-new Ioniq. Available as a hybrid, plug-in hybrid, or full electric vehicle, the Ioniq brings some real competition to the Toyota Prius.
I'd rather get the Prius.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Ioniq (Prius Fighter)