Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Chrysler Pacifica (Town & Country replacement) revealed

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-16, 01:01 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

This is a seriously good looking van.

Last edited by TangoRed; 02-23-16 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-08-16, 03:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2017 Pacifica rated at 18/28/22

All-new Gasoline-powered 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Offers Unsurpassed Fuel Economy, Greener Ownership Experience

28-mpg highway unsurpassed in minivan segment; 12 percent better than model it replaces
Combined-cycle rating of 22 mpg is 10 percent better

Improved fuel efficiency contributes to nine-percent reduction in Global Warming Potential (GWP)
All-new Pacifica's superior performance attributable to engineering enhancements, such as:
Upgraded version of award-winning Pentastar V-6
TorqueFlite transmission; world's first minivan application of nine-speed automatic gearbox
Best-in-class aerodynamics
Aggressive weight-reduction strategies

March 8, 2016 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - The all-new 2017 Chrysler Pacifica minivan has earned a highway-cycle fuel-economy rating of 28 miles per gallon (mpg) from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) – a benchmark unsurpassed by any minivan on the market.

It is also 12 percent better than the vehicle Pacifica replaces.

And when the broader environmental impact of the Pacifica's fuel consumption is examined, the Chrysler brand's all-new minivan is nine percent greener than the outgoing vehicle.

"The Pacifica isn't just engineered for today," says Mark Chernoby, Chief Operating Officer Product Development and Head of Product Portfolio Management for FCA's Group Executive Council. "This vehicle is designed and crafted to enhance the lives of our customers for years to come."

The nine-percent differential is a reflection of Global Warming Potential (GWP), which considers the environmental impact of fuel production and delivery, along with the implications of its consumption. FCA US LLC engineers used industry-standard software to calculate and compare the all-new Pacifica's GWP with that of the outgoing vehicle, over 124,274 miles (200,000 km) of operation.

"Total environmental impact is an important metric to consider as we introduce new fuel-efficient technologies," Chernoby says.

The all-new Pacifica's efficiency is further reflected in its city- and combined-cycle fuel-economy ratings of 18 mpg and 22 mpg, respectively. The latter marks a 10-percent jump compared with the outgoing vehicle, while the former delivers a 5.9-percent gain.

Credit, in part, its engine – a direct descendant of the celebrated Pentastar V-6, named three times to the prestigious list of Ward's 10 Best. The redesigned 3.6-liter V-6 in the gas-powered Pacifica features two-step variable-valve lift (VVL), cooled exhaust-gas recirculation (EGR) and innovative engine-weight reductions that boost the engine's efficiency and performance – all while preserving the smoothness that remains a hallmark of the Pentastar brand.

Mated to the upgraded engine is the newest member of the FCA US TorqueFlite transmission family. The first nine-speed automatic ever featured in a minivan, it benefits from a wide, 9.81 ratio spread and a unique calibration designed to deliver outstanding vehicle launch characteristics, smooth shifts and overall enhanced fuel efficiency.

The 2017 Chrysler Pacifica features a light, yet stiff unibody structure based on an all-new FCA vehicle architecture developed specifically for the global minivan front-drive E-segment. The Pacifica utilizes approximately 22 percent more high-strength steel than its predecessor, of which 48 percent is advanced high-strength steel for maximum stiffness and strength and optimal weight efficiency.

The Chrysler Pacifica is nearly 250 pounds lighter than its predecessor, while boasting torsional rigidity that is twice that of any current competitor.

The all-new minivan benefits from other light-weight materials. Its magnesium cross-vehicle instrument-panel beam affords greater stiffness without adding weight. The inner structure of the new minivan's liftgate marks the industry's first high-volume application of magnesium of this kind.

Further, the 2017 Pacifica benefits from a drag co-efficient of .300, which is best among its primary competitors.

Engine Stop-Start (ESS) technology arrives in market later, followed in the second half of the year by the Pacifica Hybrid – the industry's first electrified minivan. The latter will deliver an estimated range of 30 miles solely on zero-emissions electric power, and in city driving, it is expected to achieve an efficiency rating of 80 miles per gallon equivalent (MPGe) based on U.S. EPA standards.

About Chrysler Brand
The Chrysler brand has delighted customers with distinctive designs, craftsmanship, intuitive innovation and technology all at an extraordinary value since the company was founded in 1925.

Whether it is the family-room-on-wheels functionality of the all-new Chrysler Pacifica minivan, the groundbreaking, bold design of the Chrysler 300, or the simple elegance and extraordinary driving experience of the Chrysler 200, Chrysler brand vehicles reward the passion, creativity and sense of accomplishment of its owners. Beyond just exceptionally designed vehicles, the Chrysler brand has incorporated thoughtful features into all of its products, such as the innovative center console with pass through storage and sliding cup holders in the Chrysler 200, the industry-exclusive Stow 'n Go® seating and storage system on the Chrysler Pacifica and the fuel-saving Fuel Saver Technology in the Chrysler 300.

The Chrysler brand's succession of innovative product introductions continues to solidify the brand's standing as the leader in design, engineering and value. The premium for the Chrysler brand is in the product, not the price.
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/03/08/2...p-minivan-mpg/
Old 03-10-16, 12:13 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Let's see if those mpg number claims actually turn out to be real world numbers. Nine times out of ten they prove not to be after a year or two of sales.
Old 03-21-16, 10:14 AM
Hoovey689

Default 2017 Chrysler Pacifica First Drive

Engine: 3.6L V6
Power: 287 HP / 262 LB-FT
Transmission: 9-Speed Automatic
Drivetrain: Front-Wheel Drive
Engine Placement: Front
Curb Weight: 4,330 LBS
Seating: 2+3+2
Cargo: 140.5 CU-FT (max)
MPG: 18 City / 28 HWY
Base Price: $29,590
As Tested Price: $48,000 (est.)

I know this is supposed to be a shameful secret, but I like minivans. I like the way the kids can enter and exit easily with the sliding doors. I like the comfortable ride they provide on road trips. I like the way I can reconfigure the interior seats to haul groceries, furniture, and kids. For decades, the minivan has been maimed by its uncoolness. Sales of the family movers have tapered to about 500,000 units per year while American families have shifted their allegiance to crossovers and SUVs. But America loves a redemption story, and I believe the minivan can be redeemed.

Chrysler does too. At a time when the company is shedding vehicles from its lineup – so long, Chrysler 200 and Dodge Dart – its executives aren't paying any attention to whatever conventional wisdom suggests the minivan segment has foundered and reached its end. Instead, Chrysler just spent $2 billion to overhaul the architecture for its minivan. Enter the 2017 Pacifica, an all-new vehicle that immediately replaces the Town & Country and eventually will replace the Dodge Grand Caravan.

It couldn't have come at a better time. Consumer Reports recently named the outgoing Town & Country one of its "Ten Worst Picks" among 2016 vehicles, an eyesore for the company that pioneered the minivan segment. Enticed by a slew of standard features and heavy incentives, I happen to own one of those disparaged Town & Country vans. Other than a transmission that always seems to be searching for the right gear, I've got no substantial complaints about the car.

But my ownership experience made me curious about how the new Pacifica would fare, whether Chrysler's billions were invested well and mostly, whether the Pacifica would truly feel like an all-new vehicle or whether it had merely been incrementally advanced.

Navigating the roads in the rolling hills of Southern California last week, it didn't take long to find out. A revised 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 engine delivered 287 horsepower and 262 pound-feet of torque, making the climbs up California's hills effortless. Likewise, the new nine-speed automatic transmission never strained or felt clunky, like it has in other recent products like our long-term Jeep Cherokee. The harmonious combination of the upgraded engine and transmission felt like the single-biggest differentiator between the old and new minivans.

Chrysler boasts that the Pacifica's new unibody structure provides a stiffer foundation, which in turn provides sedan-like agility. But let's not get carried away. No one will confuse this minivan – or any other – with a BMW 3 Series in terms of driving dynamics. But as minivans go, the Pacifica felt responsive with minimal levels of body roll. It felt more nimble than the larger Toyota Sienna.

The exterior look of the car is also brand new. Gone is the frumpy, toaster-like shape of the Town & Country and Grand Caravan. The wheelbase remains exactly the same, but engineers shortened the front overhang and lengthened the rear one, giving the Pacifica a more rectangular shape. Corners have been rounded and side-view mirrors are body-mounted. While it'd be a reach to say that any minivan is attractive, the new design makes the Pacifica the best of the bunch.

Another substantial difference was the quietness of the interior. The Pacifica achieved Lexus-like levels of serenity and inoculated occupants from road noise with active noise-cancellation technology that's standard on all trim levels. The last thing a harried parent wants to do is shout back and forth between the first and third rows, and this car makes conversations at a reasonable decibel-level possible.

That assumes, of course, that kids want to chat during a ride. Given the vast scope of entertainment options available in the second and third rows, the kids may ignore parents faster than if they were asked to take out the trash. Chrysler added two 10-inch touchscreens as optional equipment in the second row that allow kids any number of options. Embedded in the entertainment system are app-enabled games like Tic Tac Toe that occupants can either play by themselves against each other. There's also – my favorite – an app that allows them to track the license plates they see on a road trip. Throughout, there are several thoughtful updates to timeless road-trip activities.

Passengers can watch the same movie on both screens. They can watch different movies on the screens at the same time. They can even watch the same movie, but at their own pace. The Pacifica comes chock-full of HDMI and USB ports all over the car, so passengers can bring in an Xbox or Wii. Do the kids need more screen time? Not necessarily. On a family road trip, I want the classic Griswold experience and the Bigelow brood excited about visiting the World's Largest Ball of Twine. But perhaps that's a discussion for another day. If you want screen-enabled entertainment in your next minivan, there are options abound in the Pacifica.

Those second-row options are part of Chrysler's UConnect infotainment system, which ranks as my favorite among all automakers for its incredibly intuitive nature. On the screen in the center stack, this most recent UConnect iteration feels a little more cluttered and therefore more distracting. But ultimately, it's the same underpinnings that make it a user-friendly system. Voice-command functions were both faster and more accurate than previous iterations.

Car shoppers should remember that a lot of the advanced entertainment and other options, like turn-by-turn navigation, cost extra. In its base form, the Pacifica starts at $29,590 (including $995 destination) but quickly escalates through the $30,000-range and up to $42,495 in its Limited trim level. As outfitted, my Limited tester cost $48,000, and that price didn't include features I'd deem necessary, like adaptive cruise control, the Bird's Eye camera, or the vacuum cleaner.

Vacuum cleaner, you ask? Yes, Chrysler has followed in the minivan footsteps of Honda and offers a vacuum cleaner in the second row of the vehicle, perfect for cleaning crumbs from front seats to the trunk. Chrysler touts its new vacuum as "the most powerful in its class," a phrase that could only ever be uttered during the debut of a minivan. Other parent-friendly features include five seat positions outfitted with LATCH buckles and a sensor that allows a parent to open a sliding door and rear liftgate with the swipe of a foot underneath.

A vacuum cleaner is at once wonderfully practical and entirely frivolous addition to the minivan. A more serious matter might be the biggest question mark for the Pacifica. The outgoing Town & Country received a "poor" grade from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety on its most recent small-front overlap crash test, the kind of test that evaluates the protection of occupants during a collision that involves the front quarter of the car. The Honda Odyssey has received industry-leading "good" scores on the same crash test. The Pacifica has yet to be tested, but until Chrysler proves its family car matches the safety standards set by competitors, it's a checkmark in the Odyssey's column for parents cross-shopping the vehicles.

If there's an area where the Pacifica earns a big checkmark of its own, it's in fuel economy. The Pacifica, which weighs about 250 pounds lighter than the previous Chrysler minivan, achieves 18 miles per gallon in city driving and a class-leading 28 mpg on the highway, according to projected EPA numbers. In a mix of highway and stop-and-go driving around Southern California's traffic-choked roads, that's precisely what I achieved, earning an even 25 mpg.

Of course, that is a piddly number compared to what Chrysler hopes to achieve with a plug-in hybrid version of the Pacifica that is due in showrooms by the end of the year. The plug-in hybrid is expected to enjoy an all-electric range of 30 miles, and in city driving, it's said to achieve an efficiency rating of 80 miles per gallon equivalent. A hybrid version of the Pacifica was on display in Southern California, but not yet available for driving. It is expected to arrive in showrooms by the end of 2016. When it does, it will come with one big caveat: the batteries will be stored in the mid-car bays that are otherwise used for Stow N' Go seat storage on regular models. For anyone using a minivan for hauling kids, equipment, groceries, furniture – you name it – the Stow N' Go seats are a godsend, allowing car owners to easily reconfigure their vehicles without having to store unwanted seats in their garages.

Still, for the company that unveiled the first minivan 30 years ago, the hybrid version offers a glimpse at what the next 30 might look like. That's an unusual vision for Chrysler. While its domestic competitors have been touting their investments in smaller electric cars, autonomous vehicles, and mobility solutions, Chrysler has done none of that. Of all the car companies, it has been content to just be a carmaker.

Thing is, that future sounds pretty lousy for family hauling. Carting car seats, car-seat bases, and strollers out of an Uber or Lyft is a non-starter. Road trips in a car-share or rental sound expensive. Smaller electrics are cramped.

In that context, Chrysler's continued investment in a segment that most others have written off makes sense. For urban dwellers, all those new transportation options will provide new convenience and cost savings. For everyone else, there's the tried-and-true minivan. Depending on what you're willing to pay for higher-end trim levels and additional features, the Pacifica is as good a choice as any to lead the pack.
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/03/21/2...#slide-3836690
Old 03-21-16, 11:33 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

All the first reviews seem to be positive, with people either praising the 9-speed or mentioning it's finally up to par.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Let's see if those mpg number claims actually turn out to be real world numbers. Nine times out of ten they prove not to be after a year or two of sales.
For a non-hybrid, NA motor? I haven't seen many cars stray from their EPA numbers if they have a conventional drivetrain (Hyundai scandal cars excepted).
Old 03-21-16, 06:53 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Running footage and beauty shots of the all new 2017 Chrysler Pacifica.

Old 04-06-16, 05:53 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Join us for a people mover reboot with the all-new Chrysler Pacifica.
Old 04-06-16, 07:47 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like nearly all FCA products, it's nice to look at.

That's about all it has going for it. The 200 was a nice-looking car as well; but it's powertrain, driving dynamics, and reliability were all sub-par which is why 1,300 workers are being laid off.

There are much better options from Honda, Toyota, Kia, etc.
Old 04-06-16, 07:57 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Like nearly all FCA products, it's nice to look at.

That's about all it has going for it. The 200 was a nice-looking car as well; but it's powertrain, driving dynamics, and reliability were all sub-par which is why 1,300 workers are being laid off.

There are much better options from Honda, Toyota, Kia, etc.
Uh...what exactly is better from the competition than the Pacifica? It's bringing innovative features to the market and doesn't suffer from anything you listed (reliability we'll have ot see) that hobbled the 200.

The 200's back seat, calibration of the 9-speed (fixed in Pacifica), and completely outclassed volume motor (2.4L I4) that featured subpar fuel economy were the culprits. I actually thought the 200 was going to succeed but I far underestimated the impact of a uncompetitive volume powertrain. I see none of these issues with the Pacifica.
Old 04-06-16, 08:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

My Jeeps were nice to look at and great to drive. Some of the nicest vehicles I've ever owned honestly, and I have owned a lot of nice vehicles.

I look forward to driving this van. So far, I'm impressed, and I just got done shopping all the vans last year.
Old 04-09-16, 11:44 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Full of clever features, Chrysler's renamed and redesigned minivan feels satisfying to drive, but reliability is an open question.
Old 06-22-16, 08:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I was near a Chrysler dealer today and stopped by and test drove a loaded Chrysler Pacifica just for grins.

I liked it...a lot. Definitely more "traditional minivan" inside, while my Sedona is more crossover feeling. You don't get the option of the second row lounge seating because of Chrysler's Stow n Go seats, so middle row there is definitely a penalty vs the Sedona, although with my kids in carseats that wouldn't matter to me. Space in the Pacifica is very good, and with all the seats stowed it has a nice open flat floor which the Sedona lacks.

On the road IMHO the Pacifica drives considerably better than the Sedona. Ride is excellent, much more solid, supple and planted, feels more substantial (the ride of the Sedona has never impressed me much), and the Pacifica is considerably quieter than the Sedona on the road, with noise levels approaching luxury car quiet.

Interior is very nice, although not quite as nice as the SX-L trim Sedona. Stupid fake stitched dash is just silly.

I'm not going to run trade my Sedona in on one but I gotta say, had this been out when we got it, we likely would have chosen the Pacifica instead just for the improved ride and noise isolation. Anybody shopping should drive one.
Old 06-22-16, 09:35 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Good to hear.
Old 06-23-16, 10:28 AM
Hoovey689

How was the power/acceleration/braking of the Pacifica vs your Sedona? Any gear hunting with the 9-Speed vs your 6-Speed? @SW15LS
Old 06-23-16, 11:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
How was the power/acceleration/braking of the Pacifica vs your Sedona? Any gear hunting with the 9-Speed vs your 6-Speed? @SW15LS
Better than the Sedona, the powertrain in general is smoother and more refined. I didn't feel any gear hunting, but then I didn't with my Jeep either (8 speed) until I really lived with it.

The transmission gearing in the Sedona is VERY lazy. You have to really hammer it to get it to kick down.

All in all, very impressed with the Pacifica. Didn't think I would be, but it has that solidness and that refinement that my Jeeps had, and that same feel where when you drive other stuff in the segment they just don't feel as nice. It feels more expensive than it is, also like the Jeep.

Quick Reply: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica (Town & Country replacement) revealed