Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LC News

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-16, 06:22 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
The stigma of prestiage won't go away until 1) Lexus stops playing the value game 2) Throw every engineering know how into their cars like thei 1st gen LS 3)Up the engine and power game 4) Heritage. Lexus needs to do something that's world beating and unforgettable. To give them their own everlasting identity. 5) Stop platform sharing with Toyota.

These days, what can one car company do that the other can't? It comes down to cost and how much the customer is willing to pay for a lesser nameplate with the same or better features.
The LFA was a world car.
What platform sharing?
Old 11-16-16, 06:25 PM
Ehsun
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cant wait!!

The Lexus LC is truly amazing. Can't wait to see it on the streets.
Old 11-16-16, 06:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
The LFA was a world car.
What platform sharing?
What platform sharing? The ES, NX, RX (the bulk of all Lexus sales) are all on transverse FWD economy Toyota platforms.

I agree that in order to really put that stigma behind it they should stop doing that. I do recognize that from a business reality standpoint it makes no sense
Old 11-16-16, 07:13 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
As if driver's dont have enough distractions on the road with smartphones and twitter and FB and stuff. The last thing they need is information overload going at high speeds. All they need is really the speedo, nav, maybe RPM gauge and gear if they want to shift manually.
This in a nutshell. No point jumping on the bandwagon if the bandwagon is going over the cliff.
Old 11-16-16, 07:25 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
What platform sharing? The ES, NX, RX (the bulk of all Lexus sales) are all on transverse FWD economy Toyota platforms.

I agree that in order to really put that stigma behind it they should stop doing that. I do recognize that from a business reality standpoint it makes no sense
Vw also shares platforms but they don't get anything for it. It's always Lexus that gets cr*p (don't mean to sound like a jerk or sound bad but I couldn't think of any other word) for doing everything.
Old 11-16-16, 07:48 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Cmon guys,this debate has outgrown its lifespan.

I'm more interested in discussion where we speculate how many people are going to pony up 100K for the car.
The RCF and GSF have revealed to me that customer don't want to pay a premium for Lexus performance. We enthusiasts begged for performance and now that its here no one want to pay for it. But people are asking for even more performance, which will cost even more.
Explain this to me.
I think it's a simple reason of setting up expectations. For the general public, F=M=AMG=RS. So they expect a GSF to have the same power as an M5/E63AMG/RS6 etc.

The LC500 has no such expectations placed on it. It's main competition, the 650i/CLS500 are of similar hp/performance.
Old 11-16-16, 07:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by imrankh24
Vw also shares platforms but they don't get anything for it. It's always Lexus that gets cr*p (don't mean to sound like a jerk or sound bad but I couldn't think of any other word) for doing everything.
Audi doesn't share platforms the same way that Lexus shares platforms. Audi platforms by and large are Audi specific, and even in their FWD cars (mostly) you see proper longitudinal engine layouts. Save the really low end Audis, pretty much everything is on the MLB platform which is an Audi platform save for the Bentley Bentayga, Porsche Macan and the VW Toureg. The lower end Audis, namely the A3 and TT are on the MQB platform which is shared with the VW Golf, a bunch of Seat and Skoda models, and Passat. These Audis have a transverse engine layout.

Lexus by comparison basically uses the entire platform, powertrain, everything on their volume vehicles. If you look at Lexus sales, nearly 80% of their sales are cars that ride on economy transverse Camry derived platforms, the clearest of which is the ES, but also is true of the NX, RX, CT...the GX is a rebadged Toyota Land Cruiser Prado, which is an overseas vehicle but it shares a platform with vehicles such as the Toyota 4Runner, Toyota FJ. The Lexus LX is basically a rebadged Toyota Land Cruiser. I don't so much see the trucks as being an issue, really its mostly the volume vehicles being so closely related to their Toyota cousins.

And like I said...this is unlikely to change. Toyota makes a ton of money selling these cars and they're very well regarded, but it will always hold them back to some extent.

The only luxury brands that participate in the sort of platform sharing Lexus does to that same extent are near luxury brands like Lincoln (although they are on another level of it), Buick, Acura...etc. That will always be a ***** in Lexus' armor when it comes to being compared as true peers to cars like Mercedes, BMW, Audi...

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-16-16 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-16-16, 09:37 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Still one of the best transitions from concept to production in recent development.
Old 11-16-16, 10:13 PM
laovo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317

Still one of the best transitions from concept to production in recent development.
Can't wait to start seeing these on the road
Old 11-17-16, 07:03 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

The LFA was a world car.
What platform sharing?
Clearly I'm not referring to a 1 off car and why are you selectively picking a car that only 500 people have to try and disprove my point?
Old 11-17-16, 07:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317

Looks like Nebula? Looks great!
Old 11-17-16, 05:51 PM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Audi doesn't share platforms the same way that Lexus shares platforms. Audi platforms by and large are Audi specific, and even in their FWD cars (mostly) you see proper longitudinal engine layouts. Save the really low end Audis, pretty much everything is on the MLB platform which is an Audi platform save for the Bentley Bentayga, Porsche Macan and the VW Toureg. The lower end Audis, namely the A3 and TT are on the MQB platform which is shared with the VW Golf, a bunch of Seat and Skoda models, and Passat. These Audis have a transverse engine layout.

Lexus by comparison basically uses the entire platform, powertrain, everything on their volume vehicles. If you look at Lexus sales, nearly 80% of their sales are cars that ride on economy transverse Camry derived platforms, the clearest of which is the ES, but also is true of the NX, RX, CT...the GX is a rebadged Toyota Land Cruiser Prado, which is an overseas vehicle but it shares a platform with vehicles such as the Toyota 4Runner, Toyota FJ. The Lexus LX is basically a rebadged Toyota Land Cruiser. I don't so much see the trucks as being an issue, really its mostly the volume vehicles being so closely related to their Toyota cousins.

And like I said...this is unlikely to change. Toyota makes a ton of money selling these cars and they're very well regarded, but it will always hold them back to some extent.

The only luxury brands that participate in the sort of platform sharing Lexus does to that same extent are near luxury brands like Lincoln (although they are on another level of it), Buick, Acura...etc. That will always be a ***** in Lexus' armor when it comes to being compared as true peers to cars like Mercedes, BMW, Audi...
For overseas markets we never realised this and it makes real sense, thank you.

So Lexus isn't really pitched at the same category as the Germans, but is carefully pitched between them and Buick, Lincoln etc. Which maybe why it has worked hard on showroom appeal but the performance limitations that come from its platform sharing doesn't really hurt it. All it needed is a few halo models as linkage to the available models, to bolster the performance credentials, but maybe for most Lexus owners, the performance just isn't important. How many here, for instance would be interested in the Alfa renaissance?

Some Euros are moving up the reliability scales, in particular Audi. If that is proved accurate in the field, then there isn't really much more reason to stay with Lexus. And it also seems like for the Buick class there is real opportunity here to provide a performance alternative to Lexus, but in a sense they are now playing the same game, and with the same limitations, with models based on mass market Opels. A rock and a hard place it seems for Lexus performance enthusiasts.
Old 11-17-16, 05:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No Lexus' intention has always been to be considered as a peer to BMW, Mercedes etc. Having owned a lot of them, both platform engineered cars like the ES and the premium platform cars like the LS and GS, IMHO there are two Lexuses. The Toyota platform cars IMHO really don't compare to what you see from those companies, yet the premium platform cars certainly do.
Old 11-17-16, 09:43 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

No Lexus' intention has always been to be considered as a peer to BMW, Mercedes etc. Having owned a lot of them, both platform engineered cars like the ES and the premium platform cars like the LS and GS, IMHO there are two Lexuses. The Toyota platform cars IMHO really don't compare to what you see from those companies, yet the premium platform cars certainly do.
So the es is a "fake" Lexus? Again moderator I'm nit being fresh towards anyone
Old 11-17-16, 11:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by webra
For overseas markets we never realised this and it makes real sense, thank you.

So Lexus isn't really pitched at the same category as the Germans, but is carefully pitched between them and Buick, Lincoln etc. Which maybe why it has worked hard on showroom appeal but the performance limitations that come from its platform sharing doesn't really hurt it. All it needed is a few halo models as linkage to the available models, to bolster the performance credentials, but maybe for most Lexus owners, the performance just isn't important. How many here, for instance would be interested in the Alfa renaissance?

Some Euros are moving up the reliability scales, in particular Audi. If that is proved accurate in the field, then there isn't really much more reason to stay with Lexus. And it also seems like for the Buick class there is real opportunity here to provide a performance alternative to Lexus, but in a sense they are now playing the same game, and with the same limitations, with models based on mass market Opels. A rock and a hard place it seems for Lexus performance enthusiasts.
People have conveniently forgotten to mention that most Lexus models are cheaper than the significant German competitor. Just look at the starting MSRP prices of the 7 series, S-Class, and Audi A8, you are looking at a $10k-$25K premium over what Lexus has to offer.

Quick Reply: Lexus LC News