Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Purchasing New Car Out of State

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-15, 02:43 PM
SoKali-RX
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Purchasing New Car Out of State

Hey guys, I have a question. I live in California but I am currently in school in Arizona. I plan on being out here for ~ 6 more months but need a new car due to my recent car accident. I was planning on purchasing the new 2016 RX, but was wondering if I will run into any issue with registering the car in California. Any input would be great!
Old 11-15-15, 05:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Here's the info directly from the California DMV. There's one major exception in it that might apply to you (I highlighted it). If so, you're probably OK.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...t_facts/ffvr29

Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Can You Register it in California? (FFVR 29)

The Bottom Line

If you are a California resident and acquire a new car, truck, or motorcycle from another state, it must be certified to meet California smog laws to be registered in California. This includes certain diesel-powered vehicles. DMV cannot accept an application to register a vehicle in California that does not qualify for registration (California Health and Safety Code §§43150 - 43156).

What Is Considered a New Vehicle?

California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business, to be a new vehicle. This is true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state.

Aren't All Vehicles California Certified?

Not all new vehicles are manufactured to be sold in California. Many manufacturers make vehicles to be sold only in the other 49 states. These vehicles (49-state) are made with smog equipment that meets federal emission standards, but not California standards. California-certified (50-state) vehicles are made to be sold in California.

Check the Label

To find out whether a car, truck, or motorcycle is California certified, check the emission label under the hood. For a motorcycle, check the frame or refer to your owner' s manual for the location. The label should read that the vehicle conforms to California regulations, or that it is legal for sale in California.

Exemptions

There are a few exemptions to the law. As a California resident, you may be able to register a 49-state vehicle if it was:

Obtained as part of a divorce, inheritance, or legal separation settlement.

Purchased to replace your California-registered vehicle that was stolen while you were using the vehicle out-of-state.

Purchased to replace your California-registered vehicle that was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using the vehicle out of state.

An emergency vehicle, pursuant to California Vehicle Code § §27156.2 and 27156.3.
Registered by you in the state of your last active military service outside California.

A street motorcycle or motor-driven cycle year model 2005 and older, with an engine less than 50 cubic centimeters (cc) displacement. Beginning January 1, 2006, street motorcycles and motor-driven cycles year model 2006 and newer, with engines less than 50 cc displacement, require an emission label certifying them to meet U.S. Environmental Protection Agency emission regulations, and may be registered regardless of mileage.
Old 11-15-15, 06:19 PM
SoKali-RX
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, I read that. I guess my question is, will the dealership be able to do the paperwork and register the car in California for me since I won't be in state to go to the DMV and do the paperwork myself.

Another question would be, who do I pay taxes to? It seems like I will be charged the tax of the vehicle when I register it with California. Does that mean I would get charged tax twice?

The dealership here in Arizona is telling me that they will take care of everything but I just want to make sure since I don't want to be put in a situation/mess where they are telling me what I want hear in order to sell me the vehicle. Thanks again!
Old 11-15-15, 08:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SoKali-GS
Thanks, I read that. I guess my question is, will the dealership be able to do the paperwork and register the car in California for me since I won't be in state to go to the DMV and do the paperwork myself.

Another question would be, who do I pay taxes to? It seems like I will be charged the tax of the vehicle when I register it with California. Does that mean I would get charged tax twice?

The dealership here in Arizona is telling me that they will take care of everything but I just want to make sure since I don't want to be put in a situation/mess where they are telling me what I want hear in order to sell me the vehicle. Thanks again!
I realize some dealerships B.S., but, in most cases, they can probably handle that for you. Being right next to CA, I'm sure they have dealt with that issue before. As far as the sales-tax goes, you pay that only once...when you buy the car. You will buy the car in AZ, yet pay CA sales-tax...that's the law. No matter what state you buy it in, the sales-tax is charged according to the state it will be registered. Now, whether you pay the CA sales-tax at the dealership, and they send t to CA, or whether you wait and actual pay that sales-tax at the CA DMV when you register it...that, I'm not sure. Perhaps some CA residents here can chime in on that. Also, keep in mind that registration fees are not sales-taxes, but are usually two different (and separate) charges.
Old 11-16-15, 09:03 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SoKali-GS

Unfortunately you can get nailed twice for taxes/registering your car if you are living/working in another state for a period of time but buy/register the car in a different state. There are some exemptions like military service and possibly school or job related, I would find out from Arizona if there is a exemption for going to school in Arizona and you are able to drive a California licensed car. It makes more sense to buy the car from the state you live in and plan to live which sounds to be California and pay the taxes/register it there then see if you can just drive the California registered/tagged car in Arizona while you go to school. I assume your drivers license is a California drivers license. I am pretty sure you can get some kind of exemption if you are going to school in Arizona and be able to drive a California registered tagged car while you go to school.

I bought my car in the South and paid the taxes/registration there, then I had to work and move to the East coast for about 6 months for two periods in 2 years so there was no way I was going to re register on the East coast, then back South, then back on the East Coast, then back in the South. I did look into registering my car on the East Coast and getting a license there and it would have cost close to a $1000, I think the law said if you lived in the state for more then 3 months you had to register there but in my situation I did not do it because it would cost way too much and made no sense. I just tried to be careful not to get any speeding tickets while I was in the East Coast, if I did I guess I would just say I was visiting/staying there for a few weeks.
Old 11-16-15, 10:47 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This happens frequently here in my area of PA--we are close enough to NJ and DE that sometimes people buy their car out of state. Each state is different, so I'd ask the dealer about it--they may not go thru the process that much. Here, if you buy the car in NJ, the NJ can't perform certain certifications that PA requires; so you get a 30-day temporary NJ registration, you come over to PA and have a local independent shop perform the certifications, and I think you give it back to the NJ dealer, and then your PA plates can be issued. Some dealers will reimburse you for the cost of your local shop's certification. And the dealer collects the sales tax based on where the car will be registered, not where you buy it.

But that's just an example because, again--every state's different.
Old 11-17-15, 07:47 AM
vfxbloke
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will still have to pay the difference in registration and any taxes when you purchase a vehicle out of State and bringing it in to AZ. But if you have a mailing address in CA, it shouldn't matter if you got your car there and registered there.
Old 02-29-16, 11:04 AM
017sebasty
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a long-time lurker for almost two years... Now I decided to buy a lexus is350 in New York but i need help with the inspection cause i live in florida, can anyone help me. If i am in the wrong place just send me a link... Thanks