Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis G90 reviews and news

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-16, 12:48 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm curious to see how they hold up after 5 years, 8 years. etc... My LS is now 9 years old and the interior is mint. Every light works, nothing is broken, etc.
Old 01-13-16, 02:58 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the old Equus way better, the new design doesn't look expensive that's why I was little confused about this car when I first saw the pictures.
Old 01-13-16, 04:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
I'm curious to see how they hold up after 5 years, 8 years. etc... My LS is now 9 years old and the interior is mint. Every light works, nothing is broken, etc.
right but respectfully, i don't think you're the target market. i honestly don't believe mercedes and bmw for example care much about ownership beyond a 3 year lease. anything older is old news. if it has problems, oh well...

luxury cars rely on technology now to a huge extent and as we know, no tech stays current very long now.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-14-16 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-13-16, 04:39 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I like the old Equus way better, the new design doesn't look expensive that's why I was little confused about this car when I first saw the pictures.
I'm the exact opposite. The outgoing Equus to me looks somewhat gaudy and blinged out in the front and interior was also dated feeling. It looked like what luxury might have been 10 years ago.

This looks much cleaner and elegant in my opinion.
Old 01-13-16, 06:50 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I agree. Looks like the current Genesis, but supersized. I do like the interior.
Old 01-14-16, 06:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I agree. Looks like the current Genesis, but supersized. I do like the interior.
the current (new) genesis is elegant and has excellent proportions. a 'supersized' one is a compliment and consistent with german luxury brands (variations of small, medium, large, tall, coupe, etc.)

Old 01-14-16, 10:15 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

G90 = Equus 203.1 in
G80 = Genesis Sedan 196.5 in
G70 = ??? (guessing 185-191 in)
Old 01-14-16, 02:16 PM
damtachoa
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why the hell does this car look too long? The interior is awesome.
Old 01-14-16, 07:23 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the current (new) genesis is elegant and has excellent proportions. a 'supersized' one is a compliment and consistent with german luxury brands (variations of small, medium, large, tall, coupe, etc.)

B-pillar forward it looks almost exactly like an F10 5 series.

I mean lel it even has the same wheels:

Genesis G90 reviews and news-p8qjwau.jpg
Genesis G90 reviews and news-60gvmsj.jpg

Sorry I just cant take anything like that seriously. Best of luck to Hyundai.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 01-14-16 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-14-16, 07:40 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's the downside of bringing German car designers to your company. On the one hand you come up with cars that don't look "cheap n cheerful". But then your cars look like higher end premium automobiles.

But don't be too harsh on the Koreans. Lexus made an entire line of cars on nothing more than imitating Mercedes Benz' flagship. Look where the "L" brand is now.
Old 01-14-16, 08:37 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MattyG
That's the downside of bringing German car designers to your company. On the one hand you come up with cars that don't look "cheap n cheerful". But then your cars look like higher end premium automobiles.

But don't be too harsh on the Koreans. Lexus made an entire line of cars on nothing more than imitating Mercedes Benz' flagship. Look where the "L" brand is now.
Sorry what about Lexuses imitated Mercedes?
Old 01-14-16, 08:42 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Sorry what about Lexuses imitated Mercedes?
I'm assuming he's talking about cars such as the LS430 which clearly had elements of Mercedes inspiration, but proved successful for Lexus. He's saying that in a way that suggests that Genesis may start out with that until they're established, which may lead them to being like Lexus which is firmly charting their own path.
Old 01-14-16, 08:49 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I'm assuming he's talking about cars such as the LS430 which clearly had elements of Mercedes inspiration, but proved successful for Lexus. He's saying that in a way that suggests that Genesis may start out with that until they're established, which may lead them to being like Lexus which is firmly charting their own path.
The LS430 was the exception not the norm.

Cars like the SC400, GS300, IS300, RX300, ES300, LX450, etc... all charted their own courses inside and out.

The SC400 was very much like the LC500 of its time. Right out of the gate for the brand.

"I think it's going to inspire the other designers of the world, they're going to wonder how we achieved these shapes"

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 01-14-16 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-15-16, 05:25 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The LS430 was the exception not the norm.

Cars like the SC400, GS300, IS300, RX300, ES300, LX450, etc... all charted their own courses inside and out.

The SC400 was very much like the LC500 of its time. Right out of the gate for the brand.
Very true. Unfortunately the LS430 sticks out in people's head because Lexus got so widely panned by the press when it debuted. No matter, the Lexus brand continues to be stronger than ever.
Old 01-15-16, 07:44 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
The imitation of established brands is part of the process a new auto brand goes through as they try to establish themselves.

The Japanese did it with the early Toyotas and Datsuns (Nissan's brand) 40+ years ago. I remember that we all -- even those who were not car enthusiasts -- criticised those early Toyotas and Datsuns as being bad copies of American cars. Slowly, though, they started to get a "Japanese" design language that was unique.

The Koreans did it 20+ ~ 30 years ago when Hyundai first started selling here in North America. The Koreans have just started -- in the last 10 years or so -- to come up with their own design language.

The Japanese luxury brands did it also when they first came out 25 years ago. Although the smaller, less expensive models (especially the models that were re-badged mass-market models, such as the Lexus ES and RX) did not obviously incorporate German luxury brand design cues, the LS obviously did incorporate some Mercedes-Benz-inspired design cues. Arguably, it was Lexus' L-Finesse design language of the past 10 years that started the uniquely Lexus design language that was not a copy of the Germans.

The Chinese are still in the phase of copying established brands. It is just that some Chinese brands are much too obvious in their copying.

The process of copying and imitating is an evolutionary and necessary step for new automakers. They learn by copying established brands and models. But it is also a marketing necessity. If a new brand introduced their own designs into their new market, they may not get noticed; but if they introduce models that remind potential buyers of an established model, and are to sell them with more features and/or lower prices, they can claim to "sell a Mercedes-Benz with greater value". Obviously, Hyundai and Kia did this, but now that they (Hyundai's and Kia's mass market models but not the luxury models) are established, they no longer have to yell and scream to get noticed; they can start to introduce their own unique design cues and design language.

Quick Reply: Genesis G90 reviews and news