Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do Lexus dealerships use TGMO oil? Are they required to?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-15, 12:29 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Do Lexus dealerships use TGMO oil? Are they required to?

I took my car in for an oil change at the Lexus dealership for the first time last week. I usually change my own oil on my wife's 07 RX, but I had to get a firmware update to the Nav done on my 2014 IS, so I decided to save the time and pay for an oil change at the dealership. When I got a loaner vehicle I saw that the car had an oil change "next service" sticker from the dealership w/ a quaker state oil logo on it.

When I got my vehicle back though my change oil "next service" sticker was generic with no logo.

which leads me to ask, are Lexus dealers required to use Toyota brand oil for an oil change or can they use whatever they want?
Old 11-03-15, 12:43 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
I took my car in for an oil change at the Lexus dealership for the first time last week. I usually change my own oil on my wife's 07 RX, but I had to get a firmware update to the Nav done on my 2014 IS, so I decided to save the time and pay for an oil change at the dealership. When I got a loaner vehicle I saw that the car had an oil change "next service" sticker from the dealership w/ a quaker state oil logo on it.

When I got my vehicle back though my change oil "next service" sticker was generic with no logo.

which leads me to ask, are Lexus dealers required to use Toyota brand oil for an oil change or can they use whatever they want?
Dealers buy oil in bulk and I have heard there's no guarantee you're getting made for Toyota labeled Mobil 0w20 oil.
Old 11-03-15, 01:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

dealers in general can use any oil as long as it satisfies requirements, but you can ask them what oil they use.
Old 11-03-15, 01:39 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
dealers in general can use any oil as long as it satisfies requirements, but you can ask them what oil they use.
but will they tell you the truth?
Old 11-03-15, 02:34 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Required is such a strong word lol yet not many dealerships care.

Even in the manual the requirement is the grade, and not the brand. Unless Toyota begun requiring specific add packs and such then theres no need for a required brand.
Old 11-03-15, 03:13 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Required is such a strong word lol yet not many dealerships care.

Even in the manual the requirement is the grade, and not the brand. Unless Toyota begun requiring specific add packs and such then theres no need for a required brand.
Toyota 0w20 made by Mobil is formulated to Toyota specs and is not the same as Mobil 1 0w20 but all 0w20 oil can be used.
Old 11-03-15, 03:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

dealers can use whatever they want.
Old 11-03-15, 04:32 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

as long as it meets specs, the same reason why you can put your own oil in there
Old 11-03-15, 04:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
but will they tell you the truth?
i dont see why not... if you dont trust your dealer, then better not go there, a lot of wrongs can be done in service center, far worse than putting in different brand of oil.
Old 11-03-15, 04:49 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont see why not... if you dont trust your dealer, then better not go there, a lot of wrongs can be done in service center, far worse than putting in different brand of oil.
Mazda has their own branded oil which is rated very high on the bobistheoiloguy.com forum.
Castrol sponsors Mazda racing.So Castrol is used.
Not that Castrol is a bad oil because it isn't.
Old 11-03-15, 04:50 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Toyota 0w20 made by Mobil is formulated to Toyota specs and is not the same as Mobil 1 0w20 but all 0w20 oil can be used.
True. I believe the main out-lier is the excess ZDDP. But again Toyota is`t requiring this in their engines, as its not critical. If it was it would be a requirement
Old 11-03-15, 04:52 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
True. I believe the main out-lier is the excess ZDDP. But again Toyota is`t requiring this in their engines, as its not critical. If it was it would be a requirement
I don't know much about the formulation but that makes sense.
Old 11-03-15, 05:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Are you referring to Toyota synthetic oil? (gotta compare apples to apples). Mobil 1 is a full-synthetic.
Old 11-04-15, 04:36 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Are you referring to Toyota synthetic oil? (gotta compare apples to apples). Mobil 1 is a full-synthetic.
0w20 only is available in synthetic.
Old 11-04-15, 09:28 AM
Bluto
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I got a loaner vehicle I saw that the car had an oil change "next service" sticker from the dealership w/ a quaker state oil logo on it.

I've seen dealers send their loaners to a quick lube place, cheaper then their in-house cost.

No requirement to use Toyota labeled oil.

Quick Reply: Do Lexus dealerships use TGMO oil? Are they required to?