Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Driver Who Swerved And Hit A Motorcycle: 'I Don't Care' (UPDATE: 15 yrs prison time)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-15, 08:44 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Wow, you are so far detached from reality it is not funny. The guy following approached the driver , not the guy who got hit. Also , the guy who approached the driver asked him first and for most, "What were you doing, you hit them." then the guy old guy said he didn't care.

How about you look at the video again before making all YOUR assumptions.
My bad on that part. I clicked on the second video and I heard him say "What were you doing, you hit me" . The muffled sound did not help.
Old 10-23-15, 08:45 AM
roadbike56
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good points. I would not be surprised by a plea-bargain, either. But there may also be a civil question in this case, besides the criminal ones.
Yes, for sure. This whole mess just goes to point out, no matter how ticked off you are at another driver, biker, cyclist, person, just drive on and try to forget about it. In the long run you'll be much better off.
Old 10-23-15, 08:47 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
You can't claim there is not enough data, and also draw a conclusion. It's one thing to say "We don't know what happened." But you are saying that he did nothing wrong--you can't see the difference?
Did I claim that Mr. crum did nothing wrong? If so, my apologies it that is what it came across. There is not enough evidence, unless you all are telepathic and can read what was going on Mr. Crum's mind because in the video I cannot see him or his face until he steps out of his car.
Old 10-23-15, 08:55 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
^^^^^Bam!

These "wanna be" internet lawyers are really something.

1) Driver swerves hitting the bikers right on point (coincidence?) I say NO!
2) Driver himself said he didn't care when confronted. This only tells you it was all premeditated.
3) So lets say it was not premeditated, why didn't the driver not even run and check on the bikers he just hit? That would be the first thing anyone would do as it was a pure accident.....it was not an accident that is why he never bothered to check on them.
4) The video is all the evidence the jurors would need as it has a clear picture of how things went down including the "I don't care" reaction of the driver.
I guess you are the real deal lawyer then?

Anyways,
1. why don't you tell us why your NO carries more weight?
2. Are some sort of psych expert? It appears you are not. Behavior under stress/duress is not predictable, and that too when one is confronted after an incident. Confrontation will invoke such reactions. If you expect somebody to roll over lick your hands when you confront him, boy you are surely mistaken.
3. Mr. Crum did no run over because he was confronted about what just happened. He had the good sense to stop and not run away. If he was such a jerk, why would he have stopped in the first place?
4. The video is not enough evidence of WHY the car swerved. It is only evidence that the swerving of the car caused the bikers to fall.

If anything, it speaks to y'alls mental state - that this is how you view and would treat bikers, and hence superimpose your actions onto Mr. Crums.
Old 10-23-15, 09:02 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Absurd it is, on all counts. I am done too.
Chikoo, I think the above is a good idea. Your responses continue to be personal and combative - please exit the thread.
Old 04-03-17, 01:27 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

UPDATE: DRIVER GETS 15 YEARS IN PRISON

https://www.motor1.com/news/141163/r...-years-prison/

Video of the collision and the driver saying "I don't care" went viral back in 2015.

Remember when 69 year-old William Sam Crum said “I don’t care” after he intentionally crashed into the sport bike owned by 37 year-old Eric Sanders? The crash took out Sanders' Kawasaki, left him with minor injuries, and sent his girlfriend to the hospital with scrapes, bruises, and a broken arm. Crum was arrested and had been in jail since the crash, pending a trial that recently concluded.

He probably cares now, because he’ll be spending a lot more time behind bars. Crum was convicted on two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon – specifically his Mercury Cougar – with the punishment being 15 years in prison. All because he didn’t like being passed by a motorcycle.

In the video, Crum says he was stung by a wasp. Shortly after his arrest, Crum claimed that a spider had bit him, causing him to lose control. Here's another video of Crum's completely intentional act of asshatery with analysis and captions that pretty much put the nail in his coffin.

We don’t condone reckless driving, and though the video does appear to show a straight road with some measure of visibility, Sanders was indeed passing in a no-passing zone. That, of course, is absolutely no justification for anyone – from law enforcement to a cranky old man – to take potentially lethal action over such an offense. Thankfully, the court saw through Crum’s “defense” and absurd excuses and threw the book at him. Perhaps if this had been his first offense things wouldn’t been different, but Crum had previously been convicted of reckless driving and making terroristic threats in 2007, when he threatened kids driving a golf cart.
Old 04-03-17, 03:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

justice. texas style.
Old 04-03-17, 04:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Sad story. I personally know someone who accidentally killed someone on the way to work. Not drunk. Not texting. The person got 5 years in prison in Canada. It's just a sad story all around.
Old 04-03-17, 04:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

This (apparently) only settles the criminal part of the case....Sanders may (?) also have a civil case against Crum as well. But, as I see it, two wrongs don't make a right. Sanders probably did made a pass that was improper under the conditions, but that's no excuse for a person in a much larger, heavier vehicle, with a lot more protection, to take the action Crum did.
Old 04-03-17, 05:49 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This (apparently) only settles the criminal part of the case....Sanders may (?) also have a civil case against Crum as well. But, as I see it, two wrongs don't make a right. Sanders probably did made a pass that was improper under the conditions, but that's no excuse for a person in a much larger, heavier vehicle, with a lot more protection, to take the action Crum did.
Yeah no kidding. One guy commits a traffic violation and the other guy attempts murder Looks like he'll die in prison. Good riddance.
Old 04-03-17, 06:59 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Sad story. I personally know someone who accidentally killed someone on the way to work. Not drunk. Not texting. The person got 5 years in prison in Canada. It's just a sad story all around.
No only if you are at fault prison time is vary from 3-5 years depend, for instance i was driving 40km per hour on street road and someone like Bike or Pedestrian jumped in front of my car and died, i get 0 prison 0 charge 0 and zero. That person you were talking about either careless or did not pay attention and was at fault.

A whole lot of drivers in Ontario Canada bought their driving licence ! i'm not surprise.
Old 04-03-17, 07:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Solara350

A whole lot of drivers in Ontario Canada bought their driving licence ! i'm not surprise.
What are you saying here? Are you implying that in Ontario, licenses are simply sold over-the-counter, without an official driving or written test? Or that Driving-Examiners can be bought off for a few bucks? Not likely.....most of the time, attempting something like that could get someone into prison; and prison-time for the Examiner if he or she accepted the bribe. Besides, many Driving-School cars today have cameras and videos inside them that captures everything that is said and done.
Old 04-04-17, 01:30 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woah!!!, Not mucking around are they!
Old 04-06-17, 07:11 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

As part of his punishment I think he should have to do like 500 hours of community service which will specifically be speaking to (impressionable and some with the invincibility complex) high-school kids and some new drivers of the importance of safe driving and that any vehicle turns into a weapon when rational thinking goes out of the window, and NO ONE is above the law.
Old 04-06-17, 02:17 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RX469
As part of his punishment I think he should have to do like 500 hours of community service which will specifically be speaking to (impressionable and some with the invincibility complex) high-school kids and some new drivers of the importance of safe driving and that any vehicle turns into a weapon when rational thinking goes out of the window, and NO ONE is above the law.
After his 15 years in prison? The last thing this guy will be able to do is talk about how wrong it is. He will have been institutionalized for 15 years after already being a jerk. He isn't coming out a rehabilitated person. If he survives that long.

Quick Reply: Driver Who Swerved And Hit A Motorcycle: 'I Don't Care' (UPDATE: 15 yrs prison time)