Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Driver Who Swerved And Hit A Motorcycle: 'I Don't Care' (UPDATE: 15 yrs prison time)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-15, 11:05 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Um usually in an accident where someone is seriously injured the other person goes to check up on the injured person to make sure they are ok. I mean that's common sense.
i already explained "mental state" earlier.
Old 10-22-15, 11:07 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Do you ever answer questions to back up your stance? What makes you think that this was absolutely not an intentional act? Details please
guilty until proven innocent, eh? what is this world coming to?

the video in itself has insufficient data to prove intention other than the fact that the bike rider was breaking the law by trying to pass on a double yellow lane.
Old 10-22-15, 11:13 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
i already explained "mental state" earlier.
Sorry I missed it, What was his mental state? I'm sure you know because you were inside his head. Was it that he was having a bad day? Good luck using that excuse to the jury.
Old 10-22-15, 11:14 AM
EyeSF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the video in itself has insufficient data to prove intention other than the fact that the bike rider was breaking the law by trying to pass on a double yellow lane.
Car driver also broke law crossing double yellow.

Agreed that proving intent is difficult but the jury has the evidence of the driver's complete and utter disregard for injured party that he caused. It made the defense lawyers job that much harder.
Old 10-22-15, 11:21 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

it does. do not say it is not.
It doesn't, and it's offensive to anyone who was there, or who had a loved one there.

Maybe one day you can take a trip there and visit the 9-11 Museum, and maybe then you'll get it. Trying to bring that into this discussion destroys what little credibility you had left in this thread.
Old 10-22-15, 11:22 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Ok let's take the video out of the way then. What reasonable explanation can the old man give for swerving into the opposite lane and causing a major accident?

By the way I don't see this faring well for the old man in court given his criminal past.

His criminal record includes previous charges for family violence, abusive calls to 911 and reckless driving, CBS DFW reports.

Last edited by Diesel350; 10-22-15 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-22-15, 11:25 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EyeSF
Car driver also broke law crossing double yellow.

Agreed that proving intent is difficult but the jury has the evidence of the driver's complete and utter disregard for injured party that he caused. It made the defense lawyers job that much harder.
The car driver did not break the law. He swerved and came right back in. Swerving can happen one of 2 ways - intentional and unintentional. If you go with the former, you need to prove intent. The latter is easily explainable - cellphone fell down, bee stung his leg (!!), had a spasm, etc.

The emotional reaction of the driver cannot and should not be used to construct original intention.
Old 10-22-15, 11:28 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Ok let's take the video out of the way then. What reasonable explanation can the old man give for swerving into the opposite lane and causing a major accident?

By the way I don't see this faring well for the old man in court given his criminal past.
agreed. His sentencing would definitely be impacted by his past but that is after he is proven guilty.
Past performance cannot be used to prove guilt.
Old 10-22-15, 11:30 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Sorry I missed it, What was his mental state? I'm sure you know because you were inside his head. Was it that he was having a bad day? Good luck using that excuse to the jury.
maybe you all were inside his head, and therefore boldly claiming that this was intentional
Old 10-22-15, 11:35 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

agreed. His sentencing would definitely be impacted by his past but that is after he is proven guilty.
Looks like he gave his excuse:

In interviews with several Texas media outlets, including WFAA, Crum claims he didn't deliberately swerve, but instead, reflexively yanked his car's steering wheel to the left after he said he was bitten by a spider.

“Spiders there… or the bite, whatever it [sic] bit me,” he said. When asked if he had a mark on his leg, he said, “It’s swollen right now. It bit me right in the tendon, so right now I have a tendon that’s hurting if I stand. If I walk off I’ll limp.”
Ok so if he was bitten, Was he treated for the bite at the scene? Did he explain this to officers when they arrived? What other proof does he have to back up his claim?
Old 10-22-15, 11:47 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

The car driver did not break the law. He swerved and came right back in. Swerving can happen one of 2 ways - intentional and unintentional. If you go with the former, you need to prove intent. The latter is easily explainable - cellphone fell down, bee stung his leg (!!), had a spasm, etc.

The emotional reaction of the driver cannot and should not be used to construct original intention.
Agreed--you can't just call him guilty because he has past reckless driving charges. The key here is that everyone else is looking at the entire picture, not just the fact that he swerved. His reaction tells a lot, but you want to completely ignore it and just keep saying "He could have swerved for any reason--we have no idea." Anyone who watches 3 episodes of Law & Order can tell you otherwise on using a person's actions after the fact as evidence of a guilty mind.
Old 10-22-15, 11:53 AM
Sh1nra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I may jump in.

Listen to his response as the guy approached the elderly man.

Elderly man states : "I don't care" 3+ times, "Double yellow stripe", "I got stung by a wasp"

His words will be held against him.
The lawyer will probably question him on why he said "I don't care". He will need a good answer for that.
As for being stung by a wasp. The prosecutor could ask him to prove that he was stung. Where was he stung, is there a welt, etc.

Looks like the driver is charged with aggravated assault.
http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local...ault/74240788/

It doesn't look so good for the driver
Old 10-22-15, 11:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sh1nra
As for being stung by a wasp. The prosecutor could ask him to prove that he was stung. Where was he stung, is there a welt, etc.
Nope.....that line of questioning probably won't work. I was recently stung by a yellowjacket (a very common species of wasp). Unless one is allergic to insect stings (which I'm not), the puffed-up welt associated with the sting usually disappears within a day or two. One insect simply does not inject enough venom to cause a major or extended reaction.
Old 10-22-15, 12:06 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nope.....that line of questioning probably won't work. I was recently stung by a yellowjacket (a very common species of wasp). Unless one is allergic to insect stings (which I'm not), the puffed-up welt associated with the sting usually disappears within a day or two. One insect simply does not inject enough venom to cause a major or extended reaction.
That is a ridiculous argument--unless you are allergic, there's no proof you were stung? If this guy's entire defense is based on the fact that he was stung, he'd better high-tail it home, get out a camera, and take a dozen pictures of the infected area. It doesn't need to puff up to the size of a watermelon for it to hurt, but if you are going to get on the witness stand, in a case like this, and just say "Oh, trust me, I was stung." the jury will never believe you at all.
Old 10-22-15, 12:20 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
Agreed--you can't just call him guilty because he has past reckless driving charges. The key here is that everyone else is looking at the entire picture, not just the fact that he swerved. His reaction tells a lot, but you want to completely ignore it and just keep saying "He could have swerved for any reason--we have no idea." Anyone who watches 3 episodes of Law & Order can tell you otherwise on using a person's actions after the fact as evidence of a guilty mind.
1. if he had continued trampling the biker, intent would have been very clear.
2. He swerved back ie corrected his course
3. He stopped..did not hit and run
4. He did not care.

3 of 4 are in his favor.

Quick Reply: Driver Who Swerved And Hit A Motorcycle: 'I Don't Care' (UPDATE: 15 yrs prison time)