Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Driver Who Swerved And Hit A Motorcycle: 'I Don't Care' (UPDATE: 15 yrs prison time)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-15, 11:41 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default .................

I'm a biker, that was done intentionally!
Read their local news and some of the comments are crazy....but this one is the champ.

"Dear mister Crum,
No disrespect Sir but you are an idiot. I had an old man hit me once and he got into court and made a complete *** of himself and ended up losing more than if he had just owned up to the matter. you were a tough guy behind the wheel, i'm sure you'll be very humble behind bars. best wishes to you and my condolences to the spider. PS, jails are full of bikers, you'll be welcomed with open arms I'm sure".

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/10/19/d...ki3vo.facebook
Old 10-20-15, 02:11 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
Read their local news and some of the comments are crazy....but this one is the champ.

"Dear mister Crum,
No disrespect Sir but you are an idiot. I had an old man hit me once and he got into court and made a complete *** of himself and ended up losing more than if he had just owned up to the matter. you were a tough guy behind the wheel, i'm sure you'll be very humble behind bars. best wishes to you and my condolences to the spider. PS, jails are full of bikers, you'll be welcomed with open arms I'm sure".

Good. I hope that scumbag gets the rest of his life in jail.
Old 10-20-15, 02:17 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both are idiots to say the least and both should be charged.

The driver should have tried to match the bikes speed (hard I know), but if there was oncoming traffic for the motorcycle: the motorcycle would have to either slow down and get back in the lane behind the cart or try and pass the car on the wrong side. In that case the driver of the car could have accelerated and clipped the motorcycle, which would put the driver in the clear (because there would be proof that the motorcycle was driving in an on coming lane).
Old 10-20-15, 02:22 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
Both are idiots to say the least and both should be charged.

The driver should have tried to match the bikes speed (hard I know), but if there was oncoming traffic for the motorcycle: the motorcycle would have to either slow down and get back in the lane behind the cart or try and pass the car on the wrong side
. In that case the driver of the car could have accelerated and clipped the motorcycle, which would put the driver in the clear (because there would be proof that the motorcycle was driving in an on coming lane).
No--the driver should have just let him go by, and stew about it later. Trying to match his speed and force him to stay in the lane of oncoming traffic puts both drivers, and other innocent drivers, at risk.
Old 10-20-15, 02:50 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
No--the driver should have just let him go by, and stew about it later. Trying to match his speed and force him to stay in the lane of oncoming traffic puts both drivers, and other innocent drivers, at risk.
The car driver is completely retarded. Who CARES if the motorcycle passes you. Let the guy go. Don't waste his time. The idiot is a small little tiny man who gets pissed if someone is faster than him.
Old 10-20-15, 02:55 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

agree 100%, the car driver has no place trying to be an enforcer by scaring or bumping into the motorcycle.
Old 10-20-15, 05:04 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

at 68, good luck collecting his social security checks.
Old 10-20-15, 06:53 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Crum was on the news this morning saying he felt something sting his leg (which he later said was a bee) and is claiming that is the reason he swerved so suddenly. Yeah, good luck with that!
Old 10-20-15, 06:56 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EyeSF
he hopes it's thousands of dollars.
I predict tens of thousands if not more.
the biker can only hope the guy is liquid and not destitute / declares bankruptcy.
The guy was driving something like a late 80's Mercury Cougar. The biker won't see a dime.
Old 10-20-15, 07:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Crum was on the news this morning saying he felt something sting his leg (which he later said was a bee) and is claiming that is the reason he swerved so suddenly. Yeah, good luck with that!
One more reason why prudent bikers wear effective leather protective riding-gear....although that can admittedly get uncomfortable in warm weather. But the thick leather will help prevent insect-stings on those parts of the body.
Old 10-20-15, 07:06 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One more reason why prudent bikers wear effective leather protective riding-gear....although that can admittedly get uncomfortable in warm weather. But the thick leather will help prevent insect-stings on those parts of the body.
Crum is the driver of the car. It was Crum who said something stung his leg INSIDE the car.
Old 10-20-15, 07:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Crum is the driver of the car. It was Crum who said something stung his leg INSIDE the car.
OK....thanks for clarifying that. I confused the sentence...i thought the biker got stung. Stlll, it's a good idea, thogh, for bikers to wear protective riding-suits. I couldn't tell from the video whether he and his gel friend were or not.
Old 10-20-15, 08:16 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Then you should no longer be allowed to operate a motor vehicle.

You can NEVER EVER cross a double yellow line to pass a moving vehicle. Its illegal, its reckless, and it puts your life and the lives of others on the road at risk. The Speed LIMIT it just that, the LIMIT. You can't drive FASTER. Its not a minimum speed. If someone is operating their vehicle under the speed limit and you have to sit behind them...sit behind them until such time as you can legally and safely pass.
It is actually NOT illegal to cross a double yellow line. It varies state by state. Most states abide by you can cross a double yellow line to only turn into a drive way or a U turn. Many states like NY (upstate NY, NOT NYC) you can cross a double yellow line to pass a vehicle that is yielding or incapacitated vehicle which IF a vehicle was driving 20 below a 45mph speed limit, motorcycle or car, I would definitely pass that car and its safe to assume it is broken down
Old 10-20-15, 08:20 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are stories on the news every single day with crimes committed that are inexplicable--there are some messed up people out there. This car driver is one of them, clearly. It's honorable that you give people the benefit of the doubt, but this guy is not worthy of it.

And then jumps out of the car and says "I don't care?" C'mon man. That is something I can't imagine.
Thanks That said -
1. What was the interaction between the biker and Crum that led to him swerve?
2. How do prove the swerve was intentional? The video shows a car swerve, not why.
3. The biker is at fault. Even I rode bikes for 20 years and will not tolerate those who think road rules are only for cars.
Old 10-20-15, 08:23 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS

Just because you are a biker does not qualify you to be able to judge why this accident happened. Not enough data to reach conclusion, unless you are cooking up some in your head.

Quick Reply: Driver Who Swerved And Hit A Motorcycle: 'I Don't Care' (UPDATE: 15 yrs prison time)