Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Driver Who Swerved And Hit A Motorcycle: 'I Don't Care' (UPDATE: 15 yrs prison time)

Old 10-22-15, 06:08 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I never said I was.

None of us are.

Unless if you are in a Court of Law with complete evidence presented, our opinions have no value.
Hold on. What did I judge? Nothing. I am claiming there is not enough data to judge here whereas everyone else including the police are trigger happy and want to judge and sentence mr.crum for manslaughter.
Old 10-22-15, 06:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts
Default Driver Who Swerved And Hit A Motorcycle: 'I Don't Care'

A video of the entire thing is pretty strong evidence lol

It's like me punching a guy and you saying that it's okay because I might have meant to punch the air right next to the guys head.
Old 10-22-15, 06:11 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
A video of the entire thing is pretty strong evidence lol

It's like me punching a guy and you saying that it's okay because I might have meant to punch the air right next to the guys head.
So there is no reason one can swerve on the road? It is only an intentional maneuver?
Old 10-22-15, 06:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Evidence? What is the evidence? That the two got into an accident? Beyond that how do you prove intent? Are you all some sort of mental seers?
I agree it may be difficult to actually prove intent. But, IMO, what is probably more applicable than intent in this case is that he didn't care that he almost killed two people. That alone shows that he may not be fit to be behind the wheel.
Old 10-22-15, 06:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default Driver Who Swerved And Hit A Motorcycle: 'I Don't Care'

So there is no reason one can swerve on the road? It is only an intentional maneuver?
Sure there is, but to do that in the exact instant that a motorcycle is overtaking them illegally on the left, and his reaction was "I don't care" and "they crossed the double yellow line"...I think any reasonable person would come to the conclusion that this was deliberate.

I think if you had done such a thing by mistake and you found that you caused that accident, your reaction wouldn't be that.
Old 10-22-15, 06:22 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree it may be difficult to actually prove intent. But, IMO, what is probably more applicable than intent in this case is that he didn't care that he almost killed two people. That alone shows that he may not be fit to be behind the wheel.
Even the bike rider cared more about confronting mr.crum than check on the health of his passenger. Says a lot about both the parties involved. They are made for each other.
Old 10-22-15, 06:26 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Sure there is, but to do that in the exact instant that a motorcycle is overtaking them illegally on the left, and his reaction was "I don't care" and "they crossed the double yellow line"...I think any reasonable person would come to the conclusion that this was deliberate.

I think if you had done such a thing by mistake and you found that you caused that accident, your reaction wouldn't be that.
Hmm. Reaction under stress. I have reacted in many different ways under stress, and that includes being cool and composed to being angry and careless. Anybody here willing to stand up and confess how they behaved under stress?
Old 10-22-15, 06:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Perhaps the hijackers on 9/11 were just trying to fly to Long Island? After all, how can we know for sure what their intentions were?

This is absurd. Unsubscribed.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-22-15 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-22-15, 07:25 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Perhaps the hijackers on 9/11 were just trying to fly to Long Island? After all, how can we know for sure what their intentions were?

This is absurd. Unsubscribed.
Absurd it is, on all counts. I am done too.
Old 10-22-15, 07:28 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Evidence? What is the evidence? That the two got into an accident? Beyond that how do you prove intent? Are you all some sort of mental seers?
You keep asking for evidence, yet offer none of your own for your own theory.
Old 10-22-15, 07:30 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hold on. What did I judge? Nothing. I am claiming there is not enough data to judge here whereas everyone else including the police are trigger happy and want to judge and sentence mr.crum for manslaughter.
You can't claim there is not enough data, and also draw a conclusion. It's one thing to say "We don't know what happened." But you are saying that he did nothing wrong--you can't see the difference?
Old 10-23-15, 02:56 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and one more thing I just realized : Why did he bike rider not go take care of his passenger, but rather run to confront the driver of the car? He really cares. Huh. This is the biggest BS I have seen in 10 years.
Wow, you are so far detached from reality it is not funny. The guy following approached the driver , not the guy who got hit. Also , the guy who approached the driver asked him first and for most, "What were you doing, you hit them." then the guy old guy said he didn't care.

How about you look at the video again before making all YOUR assumptions.
Old 10-23-15, 06:03 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ......

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Wow, you are so far detached from reality it is not funny. The guy following approached the driver , not the guy who got hit. Also , the guy who approached the driver asked him first and for most, "What were you doing, you hit them." then the guy old guy said he didn't care.

How about you look at the video again before making all YOUR assumptions.
^^^^^Bam!

These "wanna be" internet lawyers are really something.

1) Driver swerves hitting the bikers right on point (coincidence?) I say NO!
2) Driver himself said he didn't care when confronted. This only tells you it was all premeditated.
3) So lets say it was not premeditated, why didn't the driver not even run and check on the bikers he just hit? That would be the first thing anyone would do as it was a pure accident.....it was not an accident that is why he never bothered to check on them.
4) The video is all the evidence the jurors would need as it has a clear picture of how things went down including the "I don't care" reaction of the driver.

Last edited by 5gears-IS; 10-23-15 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-23-15, 06:13 AM
roadbike56
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As a cyclist, my initial reaction to this event is to agree the cager needs to be arrested and pay for the damages. I always identify with anyone on two wheels. But after viewing the video and reading the text of the story, wow, that biker is so far in the wrong this one is going to be difficult. They may have arrested Mr. Crum and he probably intended to scare the biker, resulting in an accident, but proving that in a court of law where it will require 12 jurors to agree that he wasn't bitten by an insect and didn't intend to cross the double yellow while watching the biker put his passenger at risk is really reaching. He may have been charged, they might even go to trial, but if he keeps his mouth shut from here on in, I don't see him being found guilty. The "I don't care" statement might swing the balance, but with 12 jurors, it only takes one person who hates everything riding on two wheels to say not guilty and its a hung jury. I'm betting he pleads to a lesser charge and the whole thing goes away. Ironically, the video also hurts the biker's chances for a law suit because he contributed to the situation with two major traffic violations that are easily proven by the video. If either party has some deep pockets, the only winners will be the lawyers.
Old 10-23-15, 06:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
The "I don't care" statement might swing the balance, but with 12 jurors, it only takes one person who hates everything riding on two wheels to say not guilty and its a hung jury. I'm betting he pleads to a lesser charge and the whole thing goes away. Ironically, the video also hurts the biker's chances for a law suit because he contributed to the situation with two major traffic violations that are easily proven by the video. If either party has some deep pockets, the only winners will be the lawyers.
Good points. I would not be surprised by a plea-bargain, either. But there may also be a civil question in this case, besides the criminal ones.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver Who Swerved And Hit A Motorcycle: 'I Don't Care' (UPDATE: 15 yrs prison time)