Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Toyota C-HR to debut for North America in L.A. Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-18, 09:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
I do think Toyota really messed up by not having it AWD. Their nearest competitor is the Hyundai Kona and I think AWD is standard.
Not sure. Toyota really forces buyers into a RAV4 if they want AWD.
Old 05-20-18, 09:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Not sure. Toyota really forces buyers into a RAV4 if they want AWD.

Just my opinion, not necessarily fact, but I think that AWD competition from the HR-V, Kona, CX-3, EcoSport, Nissan Kicks, and others in the sub-compact-crossover class will probably force Toyota to offer it on the CH-R.
Old 05-20-18, 10:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

toyota's selling a lot of CH-R's despite the lack of AWD and imo, its absolutely hideous looks.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-20-18 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-20-18, 11:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Why wait? Its a modular platform for a reason. AWD is the most important if they truly want to dominate this segment . Well that and Android Auto and Apple Carplay.
because engine is not out yet, because engine factories need to be brought up to the production specs, because car has to be engineered for it. Because because.

And yeah 2019 is getting Apple CarPlay.
Old 05-20-18, 11:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
toyota's selling a lot of CH-R's despite the lack of AWD and imo, it's absolutely hideous looks.
I think it is because people love the looks, haha .

I love it.
Old 05-20-18, 07:51 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I would expect the 2019 C-HR to have more options from the factory, now that the monospec Scion is finally out of the Toyota order books. The cancellation of the Scion lineup occurred so quickly from initial announcement to actual stop-sale that the build orders for models were already in to the factory and did not get a chance to be changed -- other than replacing Scion badges with Toyota badges.

But now that the cancellation is a year in the past, new model orders from Toyota North America can specify more trim lines and more factory-installed options, just like any other Toyota.

I expect we will see AWD as an option and also expect to see new TNGA engines available soon also (including Hybrid).
Old 05-21-18, 06:38 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
because engine is not out yet, because engine factories need to be brought up to the production specs, because car has to be engineered for it..
Really? If they can make it for the Corolla hatchback, they can make it for the CHR. I dont buy the lack of production theory.
Old 05-21-18, 06:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
toyota's selling a lot of CH-R's despite the lack of AWD and imo, its absolutely hideous looks.

By today's standards, you and I (especially me) are probably more conservative than average...and, to us, the CH-R's looks, like those of the Nissan Juke and the latest Prius, represent a vehicle beaten with an ugly stick. But spwolf is correct when he points out that many people today are simply enthralled with that kind of styling. Such was also the case with the complete opposite....the cubical, shoe-box styling of the 1Gen Scion xB and Kia Soul.
Old 05-21-18, 01:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sulu
I would expect the 2019 C-HR to have more options from the factory, now that the monospec Scion is finally out of the Toyota order books. The cancellation of the Scion lineup occurred so quickly from initial announcement to actual stop-sale that the build orders for models were already in to the factory and did not get a chance to be changed -- other than replacing Scion badges with Toyota badges.

But now that the cancellation is a year in the past, new model orders from Toyota North America can specify more trim lines and more factory-installed options, just like any other Toyota.

I expect we will see AWD as an option and also expect to see new TNGA engines available soon also (including Hybrid).
this update brings 3 models as well as options such as full nav and also it gets apple car play... so i think thats basically it until refresh.
Old 05-21-18, 01:28 PM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sulu

Hope so. Better engines and AWD is what is what makes the CH-R mediocre aside from software.
Old 05-21-18, 01:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Really? If they can make it for the Corolla hatchback, they can make it for the CHR. I dont buy the lack of production theory.
They are not making it yet for Corolla, it has been just announced... and heck Corolla itself will come 6 months later to the EU than to USA, it is just how logistics work when you have 100 factories around the world. There is no magic wand to wave to change everything automagically.
Old 05-23-18, 09:27 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
They are not making it yet for Corolla, it has been just announced... and heck Corolla itself will come 6 months later to the EU than to USA, it is just how logistics work when you have 100 factories around the world. There is no magic wand to wave to change everything automagically.
Who's to say the new engine has to go into the Corolla first?
Old 05-24-18, 12:33 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

It looks aggressive as if it would handle well. So based on what the C-HR is visually suggesting to me about what I should believe it is I fully expect to walk onto a dealer lot and find that I can spec a 250hp AWD, manual turbocharged model in a top trim. With those looks the vehicle has to be offered in a trim level like that so as not to totally falsely advertise itself.

That it doesn't even offer the AWD system, manual transmission and creature comfort upgrade options that the Japanese and European market versions get tell me Toyota doesn't take sales of this model seriously enough in the USA.

Sure, many will buy the watered down versions currently on sale but to not offer any other variants...?

Here, Akio Toyoda. Just flop this interior and use your market might to crash test and emission certify it.

http://performancedrive.com.au/2017-...al-video-2722/

Then there's the AWD version. Even if it is saddled with a CVT, why isn't this sold in the USA...?

I mean... it's a pointless kind of vehicle to begin with but if you're going to sell it at all... why not offer these trim levels especially when they're approved for production in other markets?

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-24-18 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05-24-18, 05:57 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Who's to say the new engine has to go into the Corolla first?
The new Corolla was engineered for the new engine, not an older engine. The C-HR, however, was engineered earlier, before the new TNGA engines were available, so it was engineered to fit a range of old and new engines.

So the C-HR can wait, running with older engines, while the new engines, that are slowly replacing the older engine designs, go in the new Corolla first.
Old 05-24-18, 07:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
It looks aggressive as if it would handle well. So based on what the C-HR is visually suggesting to me about what I should believe it is I fully expect to walk onto a dealer lot and find that I can spec a 250hp AWD, manual turbocharged model in a top trim. With those looks the vehicle has to be offered in a trim level like that so as not to totally falsely advertise itself.

That it doesn't even offer the AWD system, manual transmission and creature comfort upgrade options that the Japanese and European market versions get tell me Toyota doesn't take sales of this model seriously enough in the USA.

Sure, many will buy the watered down versions currently on sale but to not offer any other variants...?

Here, Akio Toyoda. Just flop this interior and use your market might to crash test and emission certify it.

http://performancedrive.com.au/2017-...al-video-2722/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY6d4SG5G1o

Then there's the AWD version. Even if it is saddled with a CVT, why isn't this sold in the USA...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrW5440UBQs

I mean... it's a pointless kind of vehicle to begin with but if you're going to sell it at all... why not offer these trim levels especially when they're approved for production in other markets?
IMO. Toyota USA forces costumers into a North American made RAV4 is you want AWD. The profit margin is likely much higher.

Quick Reply: 2018 Toyota C-HR to debut for North America in L.A. Auto Show