Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Toyota C-HR to debut for North America in L.A. Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-16, 01:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
I like it as well.

The Turbocharged engines are probably not gonna make it here, pretty sure it's gonna be the 2.0L or the Hybrid powertrain for the US Market.
likely too expensive for hybrid, Toyota USA likes their cars spaced price wise... Quite possibly this could have 1.8l in USA as well, not 2.0l.
Old 03-02-16, 01:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Content is variable by selling region, so Toyota Safety Sense may not be standard in the U.S., etc. Pricing can't be too out of line with the likes of the HR-V, CX-3, Renegade, 500x etc. Toyota knows this. They price to the market they're in. HR-V starts nearly 3-4K under the CR-V. Although Honda's HR-V starting price did shock a lot of people with how low it was, which is part of the contributor to the success of the model here in the States. CX-3 is only $1,800 or so below the CX-5. So
It might have same pricing as base Rav4, but more equipment actually and sell as sporty take on Rav4, which basically it is. Heck, it might end up being 25k-26k to start with.

It will not be significantly cheaper than rav4, since this is essentially same class vehicle with smaller overhangs... so it costs similarly to build, there is no savings there since it is not Yaris based. All this exterior metal and glass is likely a lot more expensive to build than Rav4's much simpler lines.

On the other hand, HR-V is based on Fit built in same factory in Mexico as Fit... this is based on same platform as future Rav4 and built in Japan.

It will not be HR-V competitor and Toyota is not looking at it as big sales item for the USA, since it is obviously a premium Toyota while Americans like their cheapo. I think they will be surprised because they can sell this car at premium price. Just dont strip it for USA and limit its option so not to compete with other vehicles, for instance Lexus. In reality, who would buy CT200h if C-HR Hybrid was at same price?

I just learned that European model will also have standard full LED headlights at front as well.. this car wont be cheap. This is not the case with its competition like Tucson, Sportage and most importantly Qashqai, which all have base strip versions. C-HR will likely have similar pricing to them but without base versions.
Old 03-02-16, 02:35 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
It might have same pricing as base Rav4, but more equipment actually and sell as sporty take on Rav4, which basically it is. Heck, it might end up being 25k-26k to start with.

It will not be significantly cheaper than rav4, since this is essentially same class vehicle with smaller overhangs... so it costs similarly to build, there is no savings there since it is not Yaris based. All this exterior metal and glass is likely a lot more expensive to build than Rav4's much simpler lines.

On the other hand, HR-V is based on Fit built in same factory in Mexico as Fit... this is based on same platform as future Rav4 and built in Japan.

It will not be HR-V competitor and Toyota is not looking at it as big sales item for the USA, since it is obviously a premium Toyota while Americans like their cheapo. I think they will be surprised because they can sell this car at premium price. Just dont strip it for USA and limit its option so not to compete with other vehicles, for instance Lexus. In reality, who would buy CT200h if C-HR Hybrid was at same price?

I just learned that European model will also have standard full LED headlights at front as well.. this car wont be cheap. This is not the case with its competition like Tucson, Sportage and most importantly Qashqai, which all have base strip versions. C-HR will likely have similar pricing to them but without base versions.
LED headlights mean nothing, the Corolla has standard LED headlights.

You're speculating that it has similar costs to build as a RAV4. No doubt the sheetmetal is much more expressive than the RAV4, but after initial tooling, that really doesn't impact per unit costs all that much. Additionally, this is supposed to leverage the TNGA program, which should ideally help mitigate a lot of costs across all of the various programs that utilize it, so there could be economies of scale.

You seem to be wrong on dimensions again, you tried to state before that the Kia Niro was as large/larger than Sportage, and that was refuted. Per Car & Driver, the C-HR is roughly 10 inches shorter than the RAV, 2 inches narrower and 4 inches lower. which would put it squarely against the HR-V at ~170 inches in length. It's still larger than the Juke though, which so is the HR-V. So tell me, how is this not intended to be an HR-V and Subcompact Utility segment competitor in the U.S. market?

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news
Old 03-06-16, 07:30 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I am pretty sure Toyota is going to market this against the subcompact cuvs too. Hopefully it drives as sporty as it looks.
Old 08-08-16, 10:50 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So, has it been confirmed if it's coming to the U.S?

No word regarding it coming to Toyota. It seems like its potential died with Scion's demise...
Old 08-10-16, 04:07 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
So, has it been confirmed if it's coming to the U.S?

No word regarding it coming to Toyota. It seems like its potential died with Scion's demise...
Older article, but I know the author and was at the same event. They did announce it would shift to Toyota. http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-c...r-1-90995.html

They haven't put it on their upcoming/future vehicle section yet, but that's probably because they're trying to sell as many RAV4's as possible until it comes out.
Old 08-10-16, 04:39 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my guess is that they'll start showing a production version on the fall/winter show circuit.
Old 08-11-16, 10:25 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know they are hitting dealerships in Ireland in November.
Old 08-11-16, 04:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

With Honda going smaller they need to keep up . Not that I see a lot of HRVs on the road
Old 08-13-16, 12:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
With Honda going smaller they need to keep up . Not that I see a lot of HRVs on the road
honda going smaller? the new civic is as big as accords in the past!

i see some hr-v's around here, but nothing like the zillion cr-v's.!
Old 08-13-16, 12:51 PM
JessePS

I didn't realise how much competition Toyota is up against in this segment. Almost every brand has one. The average model has about 200 hp or so. If you look at the MB GLA, Infiniti QX30 and others. Yes those would be Lexus competition, but it is the same category. Plus it seems the CUV have a ground clearance of 7" or more, which is actually more than a RAV4. Which comes in handy for Montreal winters.
Old 09-25-16, 08:37 PM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default C-HR Aussie

I am digging this Aussie version...

Old 09-25-16, 09:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
honda going smaller? the new civic is as big as accords in the past!
That was the main reason that the Fit (known as the Honda Jazz in other markets) was first introduced here to the U.S. Over the years, the Civic had grown to the size where it could no longer (by Honda standards) be considered an entry-level car. The Fit had to essentially take the Civic's former place....undercutting the latest one(s).

It's also basically the same reason we got the Nissan Versa here......the Sentra's growing up over the years.

i see some hr-v's around here, but nothing like the zillion cr-v's.!
The HR-V simply doesn't have the drivetrain or the nice road manners of the CR-V. It is also smaller inside, more cramped, has a more confusing control layout (especially on the EX version), and IMO, has a much less-comfortable drivers' seat. The CR-V has developed he enormous following it has for a reason.
Old 09-29-16, 11:17 PM
JessePS

I saw somewhere that there won't be a diesel version.

It is also up against the Hyundai Tucson. Which starts at C$24399.

I still can't wait to see it in person and compare it to the newer Subaru Crosstrek.

Last edited by JessePS; 09-30-16 at 03:01 AM.
Old 09-30-16, 07:30 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Gosh I hope it will have a bit more power than the non US versions and will not use the Corolla 1.8L. Don't mind the hybrid but at least give it some guts for the non-hybrid version. Maybe a 1.5t engine or something.

Quick Reply: 2018 Toyota C-HR to debut for North America in L.A. Auto Show