Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

In for service...my dealer's Service Loaners are now "Service Rentals"

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-15, 03:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts
Default In for service...my dealer's Service Loaners are now "Service Rentals"

Just dropped the LS off for the 5k service, have an NX loaner (will post a review of that). Nothing different about the loaner, no cost, etc.

This unit is brand new, has 800 miles on it and temp tags. Their loaners have always said "LexusofRockville.com Service Loaner" across the rear window. Well...this one says this:

The change in language from "Loaner" to "Rental" can't be just a fluke...I'm going to ask when I pick the LS up if they are going to start charging for loaners.

No way in hell would I pay the dealer's prices without a free loaner. I'll use my independent, or plenty of other Lexus dealers in the area. If they are indeed going to start charging, I'll make sure to tell the GM how I feel. I've been a customer of this dealership for a long time sales & service and I won't be any longer if this is the case.

Thoughts?
Old 08-26-15, 04:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Like it or not many Lexus's are reducing their Loaner inventories in favor of rental ones either run by the dealership or another party like Enterprise. Big services are still usually covered by a loaner but other services that once netted you a loaner are now rental.
Old 08-26-15, 04:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Then I will no longer be their customer. Simple as that.

Right now its just in for the 5k service and the loaner is included in that, just like it always has been. Friend of mine had his GS in for his 5k and 10k and loaner was included. We'll see.
Old 08-26-15, 04:19 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Then I will no longer be their customer. Simple as that.

Right now its just in for the 5k service and the loaner is included in that, just like it always has been. Friend of mine had his GS in for his 5k and 10k and loaner was included. We'll see.
Not all Lexus dealers have switched, but a good number have gone to this system. I agree it sucks, but I do understand the expenses of a loaner fleet are taxing
Old 08-26-15, 04:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think thats cheap as hell. I'm usually the one that gives dealer's the benefit of the doubt, but there has to be something that we're paying for when we pay a premium for their service. The only item of value to me is the loaner and the ability to roll in on my own schedule and drop the car off the day before, and the ability to come back to get my car as it fits in with my own schedule. Whats important to a consumer who pays this kind of money for a car and for a service more than anything else is ease and time, this kind of move is very short sighted on their part.

Like I said, luckily I have a great independent mechanic who I will use if I'm going to have to deal without having a loaner anyways. Or there are other local dealers. The nicer ones are not an insignificant drive away, but they do offer not only free loaners...but free pick up and drop off of vehicles. I'd rather not do that, but I'm not going to pay a big premium for service AND pay for a loaner.
Old 08-26-15, 05:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I think thats cheap as hell. I'm usually the one that gives dealer's the benefit of the doubt, but there has to be something that we're paying for when we pay a premium for their service. The only item of value to me is the loaner and the ability to roll in on my own schedule and drop the car off the day before, and the ability to come back to get my car as it fits in with my own schedule. Whats important to a consumer who pays this kind of money for a car and for a service more than anything else is ease and time, this kind of move is very short sighted on their part.

Like I said, luckily I have a great independent mechanic who I will use if I'm going to have to deal without having a loaner anyways. Or there are other local dealers. The nicer ones are not an insignificant drive away, but they do offer not only free loaners...but free pick up and drop off of vehicles. I'd rather not do that, but I'm not going to pay a big premium for service AND pay for a loaner.
Montgomery County (MD) taxes and regulates the hell out of their businesses.....that's probably, though not certain, the reason you are seeing Lexus of Rockville economizing a little on some issues that you may not see at the adjacent Lexus shops......Silver Spring, Pohanka, or Lindsay.
Old 08-26-15, 05:10 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
once netted you a loaner are now rental.
how does a rental work?
how much do they charge?

Unless they're as fast as jiffy lube, I can't see how people will take 2 hours off work at some random time just so they can wait for an oil change to be completed, AND pay $80 for it.

The idea was to drop off your car early in the morning, pick it up after work, and have a loaner during the day.
I thought that's what the super high prices were for.

Fortunately, it's just toyota parts and internals, and any mechanic can work on it. Nothing special.
Old 08-26-15, 05:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Montgomery County (MD) taxes and regulates the hell out of their businesses.....that's probably, though not certain, the reason you are seeing Lexus of Rockville economizing a little on some issues that you may not see at the adjacent Lexus shops......Silver Spring, Pohanka, or Lindsay.
Silver Spring is in Montgomery County too. The taxes have been what they've been for years though, and Lexus of Rockville has been in business since 1989. Its just greed.

Originally Posted by pman6
Unless they're as fast as jiffy lube, I can't see how people will take 2 hours off work at some random time just so they can wait for an oil change to be completed, AND pay $80 for it.

The idea was to drop off your car early in the morning, pick it up after work, and have a loaner during the day.
Exactly (and I wish an oil change here was only $80 at Lexus lol). My mechanic will do it for me while I walk up and have a slice of pizza for way less. This crap takes hours sitting around a big dealership. I don't have hours, which is why I pay the dealer a premium over even walking up and getting a slice of pizza. I WILL NOT pay those prices AND pay for a loaner though. Not going to happen.

I've been a customer of this dealer for 15+ years, I will find out when I go pick the car up whether or not this is their plan...and if it is they'll hear my thoughts on the matter I promise you.
Old 08-26-15, 05:41 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Not all Lexus dealers have switched, but a good number have gone to this system. I agree it sucks, but I do understand the expenses of a loaner fleet are taxing
So very taxing... This coming from Lexus dealers, which are some of the most profitable in the industry.... Maybe the dealership principal can forego some months of his NetJets membership
Old 08-26-15, 05:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Silver Spring is in Montgomery County too.
Yep, you're right. I double-checked the map, and it is very close to the border, but still in Montgomery.

Exactly (and I wish an oil change here was only $80 at Lexus lol).
For an oil change? I can see it's gone up over the years. It was $50 at Pohanka Lexus when I had my IS300 (for dino oil, of course, not synthetic)....or $30 at a local Toyota shop where I was personal friends with the Service Director.....or sometimes I just did it myself.

Great new avitar picture, BTW (your son). I guess you'll switch it back and forth with your daughter?

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-26-15 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-26-15, 05:46 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by pman6
how does a rental work?
how much do they charge?

Fortunately, it's just toyota parts and internals, and any mechanic can work on it. Nothing special.
"Waiters" (shorter services) like oil change, tire rotation, inspection, mounting and balancing tires, alignments to name a few services, where up until recently a dealer wouldn't really bat an eye now don't offer a free loaner. Those dealers that have paired up with say Enterprise (like my local dealer) charge per class/size of vehicle. $30.5 CT, $35.5 IS, $40.5 ES, $40.5 NX, $45.5 RX. The dealership sells the cars to Enterprise and once say 5000-10000 miles are put onto the cars they are sold back to the dealership so they can be sold as Certified Pre-Owned. Enterprise in turn buys more Lexus's and so it continues.

The major services still come with free loaners and most have shuttle services (though who wants to do that). Some dealers might still have very small loaner fleets for customer push-backs / heat customers and or VIP clients.

Considering offering a loaner was a Lexus tradition since their inception, personally I think Lexus dealers need to continue it. Since they are all franchises though I suppose they are all thinking they are 'guidelines' and not actual rules.

Again not all Lexus dealers have gone to this, but times are changing and my local ones are starting follow suit. And with Lexus testing out these pilot stores with no haggle pricing, the dealership scene is certainly not what it used to be.
Old 08-26-15, 06:26 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

My local dealer has cut down their loaner inventories too. I dont know how it works, but I always assumed the dealership (or Lexus) can make this a business expense and have a nice tax write off. They simply will only give you a loaner is your car needs to stay overnight, or for major (read: costly) services. I dont get this kind of pushback from my local MB dealership. They will give you a loaner if you request one when you make the appointment.
Old 08-26-15, 07:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't see what the big deal is if they call it a loaner or a rental. I always thought Lexus built in the cost of the loaner into the price of the service.
Old 08-26-15, 07:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default In for service...my dealer's Service Loaners are now "Service Rentals"

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't see what the big deal is if they call it a loaner or a rental. I always thought Lexus built in the cost of the loaner into the price of the service.
I don't care what they call it, as long as they don't expect me to pay separately. If that wasn't their goal, why would they change the banner from "loaner" to "rental"?
Old 08-26-15, 07:41 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I see.

Times are changing. I just randomly googled.... and this is what I found.

http://www.bmwofsterling.com/loaner-car-policy/

some bmw stealerships are already doing this, so it only makes sense for Lexus to follow. Always the follower.

I remember those days when Longo Lexus would give out loaners with free gas.

Either pay a convenience fee for a rental, or come in during the weekend and wait. I'm betting the implementation of a rental charge will make the weekends a whole lot busier.

Quick Reply: In for service...my dealer's Service Loaners are now "Service Rentals"