Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anybody own a 2014+ Jeep GC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-15, 06:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I've never thought front park sensors to have that as their main purpose. There's been many, many other situations where they've helped out in a manner that's independent of vehicle height.
He tends to create his own reasoning and reality for things lol. I've had multiple cars with forward backup sensors, they don't even go off for parking curbs obviously as that isn't their purpose.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As far as LED and HID lights go, I'm not sure that they are really worth the added cost they add to vehicle production. My Verano, for instance, has projector-beam halogens up front (that classic blue ring you see on many Buick headlights), and I've never had any night-vision problems with them. Xenons or HIDs would have just added to the price.
Spoken like somebody who has never had a car with HID headlights.

Having owned many vehicles now with HID, and having gone on one vehicle from HID to halogen (from my wife's 04 Prius to our 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo X to our 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland again with HIDs) I will never purchase another vehicle without HIDs. Once I found out the Highlander couldn't be had with HIDs, the test drive was just for comparisons sake only.

HIDs have really become the standard in automotive lighting with LED lighting optional above them, and for Toyota not even to offer them on the top trim of the Highlander is stupid.
Old 08-31-15, 07:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Spoken like somebody who has never had a car with HID headlights.
So? I've never had a car with self-closing rear doors either (like on some Rolls Royce models)...........but that doesn't mean I NEED them LOL).

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-31-15 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-31-15, 08:04 AM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anybody own a 2014+ Jeep GC?

Now I'm really not sure what I want to do. Yesterday, I found the exact MDX we've been looking for in excellent condition (2012 CPO Tech with 35k miles). The price, however, was a little too high. So I gave them an offer (which they declined since they will not move off the asking price) and left. Then I went to the local Jeep dealership and after going over the numbers, I can purchase a new 2015 JGC Limited w/ Nav for the same monthly payment of the MDX. This does not include the price of the lifetime warranty which I will more than likely purchase.

What to do?
Old 08-31-15, 08:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Reaper21
Now I'm really not sure what I want to do. Yesterday, I found the exact MDX we've been looking for in excellent condition (2012 CPO Tech with 35k miles). The price, however, was a little too high. So I gave them an offer (which they declined since they will not move off the asking price) and left. Then I went to the local Jeep dealership and after going over the numbers, I can purchase a new 2015 JGC Limited w/ Nav for the same monthly payment of the MDX. This does not include the price of the lifetime warranty which I will more than likely purchase.

What to do?
The MDX, in general, in many cases, will win the reliability argument. But of course, you aren't getting a brand-new new one, but one with 35K on it for the same or more money..... and that's 35K miles of wear, even with a CPO warranty. And, having driven both new JGCs and newer MDX models, I think the Jeep is actually more pleasant to sit in, and, especially, to drive. You will also probably find service for it a little cheaper....and you'll have good warranty protection.

I'd go with the Jeep.
Old 08-31-15, 08:46 AM
Chris557
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just leased a 2015 limited. Truck is beautiful. Lots of cool features. Runs nice so far. Quick in sport mode. Now I drive my wife's is 250.
Old 08-31-15, 08:55 AM
Chris557
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2015 limited msrp was 42400. With rebates 36000.
Residual value in 3 years is 22000.
Leather. 18 in wheels. Lots of options. Uconnect.
Backup camera. Never thought I could afford to lease it.
Old 08-31-15, 09:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chris557
Just leased a 2015 limited. Truck is beautiful. Lots of cool features. Runs nice so far. Quick in sport mode. Now I drive my wife's is 250.
Congratulations on the new ride............and welcome to CL as a brand new poster.
Old 08-31-15, 09:26 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Good to know people like these. We have a 2012 GX460 that we are getting tired of and after many months of telling her about a Jeep GC she finally mentioned that she saw one recently and it was nice. So I showed her this thread and showed her how some of you said how nice the interior is so she is open to the possibility of getting one. What I didn't tell her is I want the SRT8 but maybe she won't notice the difference.
Old 08-31-15, 12:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
Good to know people like these. We have a 2012 GX460 that we are getting tired of and after many months of telling her about a Jeep GC she finally mentioned that she saw one recently and it was nice. So I showed her this thread and showed her how some of you said how nice the interior is so she is open to the possibility of getting one. What I didn't tell her is I want the SRT8 but maybe she won't notice the difference.
The SRT-8's interior, as would be expected, is somewhat more sport-oriented and a little less in the pure-plush department.

I thought this was the best of the non-SRT interiors, but it dates to 2011 and I don't
think this particular color/trim pattern is still available. This shows it with and without the wood steering wheel.

And here's a typical recent SRT interior.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-31-15 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-31-15, 12:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaper21

What to do?
If you can get the JGC for the same monthly price as the Acura, then get the Jeep. The fact that it is new closes the deal IMO.
Old 08-31-15, 12:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
If you can get the JGC for the same monthly price as the Acura, then get the Jeep. The fact that it is new closes the deal IMO.
Gotta agree with Jill on this one. New, in most cases, beats used.
Old 08-31-15, 01:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Gotta agree with Jill on this one. New, in most cases, beats used.
Personally, I don't recommend any used car in almost any situation if one can afford a new vehicle. What is your opinion in that?
Old 08-31-15, 01:06 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The SRT-8's interior, as would be expected, is somewhat more sport-oriented and a little less in the pure-plush department.

I thought this was the best of the non-SRT interiors, but it dates to 2011 and I don't
think this particular color/trim pattern is still available. This shows it with and without the wood steering wheel.

And here's a typical recent SRT interior.

These interior pictures are all of the pre-2014MY refresh. They've been upgraded with the latest infotainment, e-shifters, and dash clusters from newer Chrysler products. Please don't rely on Google image searches if you're not familiar with the vehicles.
Old 08-31-15, 01:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

So? I've never had a car with self-closing rear doors either (like on some Rolls Royce models)...........but that doesn't mean I NEED them LOL).
HIDs are something that you need to get used to having to really appreciate how much better they improve your visibility and reduce fatigue driving at night. Its something totally different from self closing doors (I have them on the LS) which are just a novelty item.

HID headlights make an enormous difference when driving at night. You don't have the experience to post a valid viewpoint on this.
Old 08-31-15, 01:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Its something totally different from self closing doors (I have them on the LS) which are just a novelty item.

HID headlights make an enormous difference when driving at night. You don't have the experience to post a valid viewpoint on this.
My 04 4Runner has a self closing door door. Not sure what it's for. It is pretty useless IMO

You are right about the HID lights, LEDs go ever further in "must have" for a future car.

Quick Reply: Anybody own a 2014+ Jeep GC?