Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Dealership Abuses My Car (Dashcam footage)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-15, 08:26 AM
Derek563
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota Dealership Abuses My Car (Dashcam footage)

I also own an IS250 and I thought I'd make a post here also.

So I took my 2011 Tundra in for a passenger front window issue and a tailgate issue in to Michael's Toyota of Bellevue.
In the vid, techs can be seen unnecessarily revving my Tundra (cold engine too) while making fun of the exhaust. They take it for unnecessary joy rides and floor it. When confronted, the Service Director was unapologetic and scolded me for illegally taping them.

Here's the link:
I hope you guys have better relationships with your local dealers.

Have a good day,
Derek
Old 08-19-15, 01:13 PM
jennie
Pole Position

You should tweet the dealership and Toyota NA. Put them on blast on Twitter.
Old 08-19-15, 03:08 PM
IamLexus
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Makes me think twice of going to the Stealership now.
Old 08-19-15, 03:56 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Always make it clear they're being recorded beforehand. I'd rather stop them from being an a-hole, than catching them being one.
Old 08-19-15, 04:32 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Stories like these are always frightening and infuriating at the same time. Makes you wonder who you can trust with your car...
Hope you get some justice out of this!

The revving was definitely excessive and the comments are uncalled for.
I agree put them on blast and go one step up and deal with corporate if you have to!
Old 08-19-15, 05:26 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

That's a line stepped over, granted they can be entitled to their opinion, and have every right too... but the burnout and joyride is out of the question wrong. This tech will be fired when you bring this to corporate without a doubt. This makes me want to get a dash cam.
Old 08-19-15, 07:14 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did it really happen two years ago (based on the date in the video)?
Old 08-19-15, 09:46 PM
ohkun
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Posted on their facebook page.
Old 08-19-15, 10:28 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

That's not that bad.. I caught my local dealership on video flooring my car unnecessarily. But honestly, I don't care. I floor my car all the time.
Old 08-19-15, 11:45 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Burn in hell stealerships
Old 08-19-15, 11:46 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by smokyis350
That's not that bad.. I caught my local dealership on video flooring my car unnecessarily. But honestly, I don't care. I floor my car all the time.
Classic bro lmfao
Old 08-20-15, 12:04 AM
Road Race Motorsports
Driver

Originally Posted by Derek563
I also own an IS250 and I thought I'd make a post here also.

So I took my 2011 Tundra in for a passenger front window issue and a tailgate issue in to Michael's Toyota of Bellevue.
In the vid, techs can be seen unnecessarily revving my Tundra (cold engine too) while making fun of the exhaust. They take it for unnecessary joy rides and floor it. When confronted, the Service Director was unapologetic and scolded me for illegally taping them.

I hope you guys have better relationships with your local dealers.

Have a good day,
Derek
I would contact Toyota Toyota Consumer Affairs right away with this, these sorts of issues can quickly turn to bad press for Toyota and they want to get ahead of that. Just look at sites like Jalopnik were they rip into dealers and brands when the video's show up. To contact TCA hit the link http://www.toyota.com/support/contact.html or call at 800-331-4331

Also I would put the PR team on notice, some times they are willing to get ahead of the issue before it reaches the press. Here are some of the names and contacts for that:

Toyota Business Communications

Media inquiries regarding, but not limited to, sales, corporate and policy issues, non-automotive products, legal issues, dealer network, distribution, Toyota Logistics Services, port operations, Toyota Certified Used Vehicles, and legal, trade and diversity issues.

Aaron Fowles
Corporate Communications Manager
aaron_fowles@toyota.com
(469) 292-1097

Amanda Rice
amanda_rice@toyota.com
(310) 468-1745

Toni Honsowetz
toni_honsowetz@toyota.com
(310) 468-4291

Also I would see if you get traction with Toyota in the morning if it looks like you are getting a blow off then hit up the media in the afternoon. Jalopnik loves running these stories and sometimes Autoweek, Motor Trend and Car and Driver will blog them on their sites. Your local media is another great place to go, they can deliver the best results. These are important consumer issues and I really think it is in a lot of peoples interest to get this story out there.
Old 08-20-15, 05:42 AM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Honestly they really like your truck.
Long as nth got damaged or broken no big deal. I understand you guys love yours cars but stop being so ****
Old 08-20-15, 11:44 AM
Silec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a problem with a local dealership last year. The service advisor repeatedly started my car just so he can hear my accuair adjusted itself for a good 5-10 minutes. He also blamed damages that was done to my 2 week old wheel on me. The GM and I had a nice little conversation the next morning. I showed the GM all the footage I had on my dash cam of some of the things that were said and done while my car was there for its 5k service. Everything was taken care and resolved by the time my meeting with the GM was over, but I still had a sour taste in my mouth because of how unprofessional the service advisor towards me until this day.

So my advise is to take it to the GM, talk to him/her personally. Have them help you resolve your issues/concerns, and take it to corporate if they don't do anything.

just my 2 cents
Old 08-20-15, 12:30 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

you can easily explain justification for a dashcam.

But like me, you're in a 2-party consent state for recorded conversations, so yeah, it's illegal to record that and use against them. But what if it wasn't a conversation? Cut out all the talking bits, and I'd think that's legal.

It's always good to record regardless

oh, and if you really want to screw them and get higher SEO, write the whole story in the youtube video description.
Change the video title to name the dealership.

That way any time someone searches the dealership, the youtube video will pop up on google..

Quick Reply: Toyota Dealership Abuses My Car (Dashcam footage)