Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus to announce updates to 2 models on 13/8/15

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-15, 05:47 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

IS400 F-Sport please !
Old 08-13-15, 06:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
IS400 F-Sport please !
mirroring the Germans I see

Hey we now have the IS300 AWD with a detuned 3.5L V6. Let's throw all nomenclature to the wind
Old 08-13-15, 06:32 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

In reply to comments from those in the merged threads, the LF-LC is not going to be called "SC", it is LC as in LS and LX. The next LS (programme code 200B) has been already reported for a Tokyo presentation and is too important to be unveiled at Pebble Beach. The second it was mentioned, that they would be 2 updated models, I instantly knew it was the LX and GS.

It was very peculiar to have heard nothing about the GS facelift by now nor concrete proof of its existence (GS-F could've been stylistically different from regular GS like IS-F), considering how the GS is practically 4 years old and will be redesigned in 3 years time. Almost made a thread on that last week, but have been very busy lately.

The catch though is, it will NOT be a production model, but likely a production-ready design (LS design freeze was a long time ago) a la LF-Gh/4GS and have a final unveiling in Fall/Paris 2016 or January/Detroit 2017 ahead of a summer 2017 launch for MY2018.

Originally Posted by bagwell
I thought they just announced a new LS will be released soon, no?
Pebble Beach would be a very bad idea, to showcase a new flagship. They'd might as well, present it in privately-arranged ceremony like the W222 S-Class in 2013. The LS (codenamed 200B) has been reported for Tokyo in October, but even in that instance, it will just be a previewing concept a la LF-LS (it's not too late Lexus to call it that!).

The latter tidbit keeps falling on deaf ears, no matter how many times I try inform many of us of that. The production LS will not be shown before the LC is at NAIAS, as the LC will debut the new RWD platform, but the LS will be at least be previewed in some form before the LC becomes official. Sadly, a 2018 model launch is in the cards, as Japanese sources keep hinting at a May 2017 start of production date. I will elaborate on this very soon in the LS thread.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
They're not going to release an all new car at Pebble Beach. That will be done at a major auto show. That's why I say refresh LX and GS.
And you are very correct, as that will be likely proven as the case here. Even for much of non-Japanese media pointing to release in 2016, the next LS will be shown as a "concept" at Tokyo 2015 and not arrive in showrooms until CY2017.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 08-13-15 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-13-15, 07:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
And you are very correct, as that will be likely proven as the case here. Even for much of non-Japanese media pointing to release in 2016, the next LS will be shown as a "concept" at Tokyo 2015 and not arrive in showrooms until CY2017.
Exactly, almost production spec concept think LF-Gh or LF concept.
Old 08-13-15, 07:08 PM
LI Lexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/13/2...#slide-3581982
Old 08-13-15, 07:19 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

an extra 5 horsepower and 3 torques for the GS. whohooooo
Old 08-13-15, 07:24 PM
Hoovey689

Well couldn't just keep the ole 306/277. Gotta separate it from the 2.0T more now
Old 08-13-15, 08:16 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It just doesn't look good, worse than the current GS even.
Old 08-13-15, 08:28 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Lame, really why even bother?

What’s New for 2016
New GS 200t model has 241-hp, 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine and eight-speed automatic transmission.
More power for GS 350 – now 311 hp and 280 lb.-ft. torque from 3.5-liter V6.
Restyled front end with bolder Lexus spindle grille and Bi-LED headlights, and revised tail lamps and rear bumper treatments.
New available Lexus Safety System + combines Pre-Collision System (PCS) with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert (LDA) with Steering Assist, Intelligent High Beam (IHB) and All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control.
Standard Navigation for GS 350 and GS 450h models
Larger 4.2-inch multi-information display puts vital vehicle data at a quick glance in driver’s line of sight.
Upgraded multimedia technology: side “enter” buttons on Remote Touch Interface (RTI) and full screen map capability for available navigation with 12.3-inch central display screen.
New available Lexus Enform Service Connect provides maintenance and service information accessed from smartphone app or website.
New exterior and interior colors, wheel designs and interior wood and aluminum trim selections.
Analog clock adds GPS time zone functionality.

Engine/Transmission/Drivetrain/Performance
GS 200t: 241-hp, 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder with dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i).
GS 350: 311 horsepower, 3.5-liter DOHC V6 with dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i).
GS 450h: Lexus Hybrid Drive system combining output from an Atkinson cycle 3.5-liter V6 gasoline engine and a water-cooled permanent-magnet electric motor for 338 total system horsepower.
GS 200t and GS 350: eight-speed sequential shift automatic transmission with paddle shifters and sport driving logic (RWD)
GS 450h: planetary-type electronically controlled continuously variable transmission with two-speed reduction (for “kickdown” functionality), Snow mode and paddle shifters.

Chassis/Body/Suspension/Tires/Brakes
Front and rear aluminum control arms help reduce unsprung weight and endow the GS with exemplary agility, sway damping, ride comfort, body control and steering precision.
Ventilated disc brakes feature four-piston aluminum front calipers and are equipped with the latest electronic enhancements to help provide braking balance and control.
Standard 17-inch nine-spoke alloy wheels with 235/50R17 tires for GS 200t, and standard 18-inch alloy wheels with 235/45R18 tires for GS 350.
Available GS F SPORT is exclusively equipped with 19-inch staggered width wheels paired with 235/40R19 front and 265/35R19 rear summer compound tires for RWD models, while AWD models have 235/40/19 all-season tires in the front and rear.
The GS F SPORT RWD offers an optional Lexus Dynamic Handling (LDH) system with Dynamic Rear Steering (DRS). This technology integrates DRS, Electric Power Steering; and for GS 350 only, Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS). Monitoring vehicle speed, steering direction and driver inputs, the system calculates the optimum angle for all four wheels. Using VGRS in the front and DRS in the rear, the system can independently manage front and rear wheel steering angles to help enhance turn-in response, rear grip, vehicle control and cornering agility.
Standard Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) anticipates loss of vehicle control and governs all of the vehicle’s dynamic handling systems -- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Brake Assist (BA), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and Traction Control (TRAC) -- with the electronic throttle control system. VDIM employs these systems collectively and seamlessly to help make corrections while allowing higher dynamic capability. The system also provides a limited-slip differential effect.

Safety/Security Features
The GS is standard-equipped with 10 airbags, including a knee airbag for both driver and front passenger, seat-mounted side airbags for outboard rear seats, and side curtain airbags.
Whiplash Injury Lessening front seats reduce the space between the occupant’s head and headrest to help limit excessive head movement, and help decrease the severity of whiplash-type injuries, in certain types of rear end collisions.

Luxury/Comfort/Convenience
Standard entertainment and connectivity technology includes enhanced Bluetooth capability with automatic phonebook download and streaming audio.
Standard DVD video compatibility, MP3 sound enhancement, 5.1 simulated surround-sound from normal two channel sources such as MP3 files and CDs.
HD Radio with iTunes tagging and a three-month all-access trial subscription to SiriusXM Satellite Radio are standard.
With the available heated and ventilated front seats, the GS features the Climate Concierge. This system automatically monitors the temperature of three separate climate zones and adjusts not only the fans, but also the temperature of the seats and steering wheel individually. Each zone will achieve its pre-set level of comfort as quickly as possible.
The optional Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) helps detect vehicles in side blind spots and alert the driver to rear cross traffic when backing out of a parking space.
Luxury Options
The available 17-speaker Mark Levinson premium surround sound audio system has 7.1 channel surround-sound through 10 channels using a class D Digital amplifier with a clean 835-watts from 20-20,000 hz at only 0.01 percent total harmonic distortion. Clari-Fi technology analyzes compression in the signal of digital tracks (CD, iPod, etc.) and determines how much amplification is needed, and where, to correct it
Warranty
48-month/50,000-mile basic limited warranty with roadside assistance for 48 months/unlimited miles.
72 months/70,000 miles powertrain and restraint system coverage.
72 months corrosion perforation protection coverage, regardless of mileage.
Eight years/100,000 miles hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery-control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter.
Old 08-13-15, 08:44 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

probably not enough price difference to bother with the 200t
Old 08-13-15, 08:52 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by pman6
probably not enough price difference to bother with the 200t
I'm guessing it'll lease well though
Old 08-13-15, 08:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Unless you want the better economy...
Old 08-13-15, 10:55 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

When you think things couldn't get any worse.. Though i wasn't much a fan of the previous Spindle grill, this MORE Aggressive move towards differentiating the GS as "Special" has just tipped the scales. I'm going to literally need Anti-Nausea medication every time I go in for service.. I mean like REALLY? This is the Best they got??

And going with a GS200t is like getting yourself neutered.. OMG.. So There will be a GS-F, a GS350 with 311 HP Whoopee.. and a GS200t... It was like when Infiniti put in a G25.. Great for leasing but ridiculous for the Marque Branding of such a hot car in its class..
Old 08-13-15, 11:01 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
And going with a GS200t is like getting yourself neutered.. OMG.. So There will be a GS-F, a GS350 with 311 HP Whoopee.. and a GS200t... It was like when Infiniti put in a G25.. Great for leasing but ridiculous for the Marque Branding of such a hot car in its class..
Huh? The GS200t is exactly what Lexus needed to compete with the 528i and the A6 2.0 TFSI. Too bad they've crippled it with such a brutally inelegant front end.
Old 08-14-15, 01:55 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Huh? The GS200t is exactly what Lexus needed to compete with the 528i and the A6 2.0 TFSI. Too bad they've crippled it with such a brutally inelegant front end.
You may say that but the GS line never ever had a 4 cylinder until now.. Lexus up the ante in 1998 with 4.0 V8 that will blew away the BMW 540i at that time... I think the 200t is okay for cars like the CT and IS, but a GS with "200" badge is shameful..

Quick Reply: Lexus to announce updates to 2 models on 13/8/15