Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Electric Car Drivers Tell Ford: We'll Never Go Back To Gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-15, 09:22 PM
gnode
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If road trips are important to you the Tesla is the way to go due to almost 300 mile range and their supercharger network.

For my Leaf though, I joke that DFW airport is only 16 miles away and plane tickets are affordable after saving $2000+per year not buying gas and oil.
Old 08-18-15, 07:08 AM
gnode
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ricknee
Even with a 500 mile range, people would still complain because they can. It could have a 15 minute empty-to-full charge time and people would still whine about that being three times longer than it would take to fill a car.
People just need to get used to electric cars.
Yeah most concerns people have go away after the first week of actually owning one.

Instead of worrying about range, you quickly realize everything in town is in range if you live in an urban area.

Instead of worrying about recharge times, you appreciate always having a full charge in the morning and never having to go to the gas station, unless it is to buy beer.

You appreciate that now instead of dropping $50 a week on gas, you can use that money for beer, dinner out, etc. Literally imagine instead of going to the gas station every week to fill up, you go to the gas station every week to buy 2 cases of beer.
Old 08-18-15, 07:15 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gnode
I detect sarcasm but we are accustomed to buying gas every week so we don't think about it until you don't need to anymore. Never again do you get in the car in the morning and realize you don't have enough gas to get to work. You don't have to plan to go out of your way for gas. You are just full every morning.
no sarcasm intended....it was 95°F outside and I thought it would be a quick fuel stop....2-3 mins....but both gas pumps I tried were painfully slow....it was actually longer than 10 min...closer to 15 mins when I just gave up and left with 1/2 tank of gas.

Much rather just plug-in in at home and be done with it
Old 08-18-15, 07:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If I'm going on a trip and going electric,it would be in a Tesla.
Range,acceleration,comfort and more safety over the small econo boxes.

At this point I have absolutely no interest in any electric vehicle or even a hybrid and I owned a Camry hybrid.
Old 08-18-15, 07:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by gnode
For my Leaf though, I joke that DFW airport is only 16 miles away and plane tickets are affordable after saving $2000+per year not buying gas and oil.
found this amusing that you'll save money in your mobile battery to spend on a jet fuel guzzling and burning airplane

couple of wikipedia snippets (from here):

U.S. airlines alone burned about 16.2 billion gallons of fuel during the twelve months between October 2013 and September 2014
and globally, the 'problem' is getting much worse:

emissions from aviation increased by 87% between 1990 and 2006
mainly due to increased prosperity in asia, and a vast increase in flying for business and pleasure.

the handful of leafs on the road sure aren't making a difference overall, but they have their place and i can see why some consumers like them!

hopefully they will get better soon (range, recharge time, cost), and will become more accepted.
Old 08-18-15, 08:10 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
found this amusing that you'll save money in your mobile battery to spend on a jet fuel guzzling and burning airplane

couple of wikipedia snippets (from here):

and globally, the 'problem' is getting much worse:

mainly due to increased prosperity in asia, and a vast increase in flying for business and pleasure.
LOL @ bringing up airliner fuel consumption in an electric car thread.
Old 08-18-15, 09:16 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell

Non-believers like to bring up spurious arguments.

The "EVs and Hybrids are not making much of a difference, so why should I care?" argument is another spurious argument used by non-believers.
Old 08-18-15, 11:19 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu

The "EVs and Hybrids are not making much of a difference, so why should I care?" argument is another spurious argument used by non-believers.
To be fair, gnode did say that he would consider (more) airline travel due to the money he was saving by driving an EV. It wasn't some general statement.
Old 08-18-15, 12:10 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gengar
To be fair, gnode did say that he would consider (more) airline travel due to the money he was saving by driving an EV. It wasn't some general statement.
well.....no he said exactly ---
plane tickets are affordable after saving $2000+per year not buying gas and oil
nothing about flying MORE.... plus is there another way to get to Hawaii or Japan? row boat or sail boat would be more fuel efficient I guess -- if you have months to travel

Last edited by bagwell; 08-18-15 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-18-15, 12:30 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

nothing about flying MORE.... plus is there another way to get to Hawaii or Japan? row boat or sail boat would be more fuel efficient I guess -- if you have months to travel
The entire quote. Make of it what you will.

"For my Leaf though, I joke that DFW airport is only 16 miles away and plane tickets are affordable after saving $2000+per year not buying gas and oil."
Old 08-18-15, 12:50 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

nothing about flying MORE....
Hence why I put it in parentheses, because from gnode's post it is unclear whether he is already buying plane tickets; if he's not already engaging in airplane travel, then it would lack clarity to put the "more" there. Nevertheless, his language - "plane tickets are affordable" - clearly indicates he is now considering purchasing plane tickets.

In any case, when the discussion in a thread devolves into nothing more than semantic nonsense, it's probably time to let it die.

plus is there another way to get to Hawaii or Japan? row boat or sail boat would be more fuel efficient I guess -- if you have months to travel
No, but I can only presume that someone who cares about not personally being responsible for the consumption of large amounts of fuel will choose not to travel at all.

Last edited by gengar; 08-18-15 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-18-15, 02:32 PM
gnode
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gengar

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The entire quote. Make of it what you will.

"For my Leaf though, I joke that DFW airport is only 16 miles away and plane tickets are affordable after saving $2000+per year not buying gas and oil."
Yeah, I joke about it. When discussing electric cars, people act like they are organ transplant delivery people making 500+ mile drives daily and can't stop to charge.

In the real world, I don't do road trips. But if I need to go an actual far distance in a short amount of time, that is what airplanes are for. I prefer international trips and last I checked no gas car can take me across the Atlantic or Pacific, but the airport is in range of my car.

A Leaf is a commuter and around town car. If people want to do road trips, you can in a Leaf if you buy the DC fast charge option, but that would just help you if you are doing occasional short road trips, like 200-400 miles and aren't pressed for time. If you really want to do big road trips, you need a Tesla.

I look forward to replacing the Leaf with a Model 3 when it comes out. I could do a Model S but I have other priorities now, like college fund (why I sold the IS350 to get the Leaf - child seat + save money).
Old 08-18-15, 07:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
non-believers? this isn't (or shouldn't be) a religious issue.

was just saying that EV drivers are typically environmentally conscious (no problem with that) while not really making an ACTUAL difference in the big picture, especially if they take commercial flights, but yeah, what can you do if you need to get somewhere fast?

don't see how it's spurious as they really aren't making any real difference, YET.

i'm not against ev's and hybrids, they just aren't cost effective or practical for MOST people. do they work out great for some, or make some 'believers' feel great about their purchase? sure. so the original post premise that ev drivers don't want to go back to gasoline makes sense, because people feel good about the change they made.

it's obvious too that ev's will get better range and practicality, but i'd say we're probably 10 years off from more mainstream adoption.
Old 08-19-15, 05:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricknee
Even with a 500 mile range, people would still complain because they can. It could have a 15 minute empty-to-full charge time and people would still whine about that being three times longer than it would take to fill a car.
People just need to get used to electric cars.
While I'm all for more efficient batteries at a reasonable price, Ricknee makes a good point here. Some people are just never satisfied.

Name:  RyCQ33a.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  5.6 KB
Old 08-19-15, 05:40 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sweet feature!
Most plug-in cars (BEVs and PHEVs) have this feature to set the climate control in the vehicle while the vehicle is charging. This works for both heater and A/C cooling so with an EV or PHEV, you can get into a warm/cool car before driving off. The exception is the Prius PHV. It only has a cooling function, no heating function. I'm not sure about the Volt.

The climate control is usually set through a smartphone app.

Quick Reply: Electric Car Drivers Tell Ford: We'll Never Go Back To Gasoline