Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Mustang GT convertible or 2013 Corvette convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-15, 01:30 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2015 Mustang GT convertible or 2013 Corvette convertible?

So I am thinking of getting a convertible, and who else to ask but the Car Chat guys!

I am not intending to take it to the track but rather just use it as a fun daily car. Which one in your honest opinion will be better?

2015 Mustang GT convertible or 2013 Corvette convertible?

I do realize it is a very open question, and do respond accordingly with your preference on why you would have picked one over the other rather than trying to understand my needs and then recommending one over the other.

many thanks!
Old 08-10-15, 01:40 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I honestly love both cars, but if we're talking about a street car/daily driver, I think the only real reason to get the Corvette between those two would be if you want something that will "stand out" a bit more. It will be only marginally faster, and in a way that you'll barely notice on the street.

The Mustang will have more features, a better interior, more practicality (you can even get at least one person in the back in a pinch), better warranty coverage, and it still looks almost as good IMO.

* NOTE: I own a 2015 Mustang GT PP Coupe, so I may be a bit biased.
Old 08-10-15, 03:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Personally I can't stand the C6 interior, so the '15 GT would be my pick
Old 08-10-15, 08:25 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Corvette all the way. Especially if the 427 Convertible is in your price range. Same 505hp LS7 engine as the Z06.

If that's a bit pricey, pick up a Grand Sport convertible. They made a lot more of them, same wide body look as the 427 car, but with the standard LS3 V8 under the hood.
Old 08-10-15, 08:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Since you are planning to use it as a daily-driver year-around, keep in mind that neither one is suited for slippery roads, especially with the stock tires. I see, though, that you are in TX, where snow and ice is not usually a problem except up in the Panhandle. However, the tires on these cars, n some cases, can still have wet-problems in the rain.
Old 08-10-15, 09:03 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ Keep your foot out of it and don't drive on bald tires when its raining. Its not rocket science.

And yes its much easier to own a cool looking car in the south and keep it nice.
Old 08-10-15, 09:03 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mustang all the way. As Hoovey stayed the interior of the Mustang from it's push button start to toggle switches are favs. Looks a little more unique where the Corvette well, looks plain. The Mustang looks a bit sharky too. Cool.
Also if you want to install aftermarket stereo you have a LOT more room in the Mustang. Looking for a little bump? Hey a sub box will fit nicely in that trunk if that's your thing. Just a lot more real estate. Having options are a GOOD thing.
Old 08-10-15, 09:26 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Mustang all the way. As Hoovey stayed the interior of the Mustang from it's push button start to toggle switches are favs. Looks a little more unique where the Corvette well, looks plain. The Mustang looks a bit sharky too. Cool.
Also if you want to install aftermarket stereo you have a LOT more room in the Mustang. Looking for a little bump? Hey a sub box will fit nicely in that trunk if that's your thing. Just a lot more real estate. Having options are a GOOD thing.
Hey I said it first

Mods get all the attention...
Old 08-10-15, 11:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Vette......... Hands down. The new mustang is badass but why not get a faster car that will turn more heads and you dont have to take the massive hit on depreciation. 2013 Vette.
Old 08-11-15, 09:30 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Good discussion. I will have to check out the Grand Sport Convertible for sure before I pull the trigger.
Old 08-11-15, 10:39 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ricknee
If by marginally faster you mean significantly, then you'd be correct(111mph vs 115-116mph car). In a race a C6 will easily beat the Mustang and it's significantly faster everywhere. You're carrying around less weight and you have more power under the curve due to the 6.2L V8. Peak numbers don't mean much on the street. If you can't notice the difference, you need to re-calibrate your butt dyno. The Corvette will also get better gas mileage driven around the city because it's much lighter and doesn't really require much effort to get up and go. I have a coupe and can average 19mpg while still having fun everywhere.

Another thing to consider is that the C6 has much wider tires: 285 rears that can accept a 305, and with aftermarket wheels a 325 is no problem. Because of this, you don't have to worry about burning through the pizza-cutter wheels that come on the Mustang and it hooks far better on the street. My tires still look brand new, while my friend goes through the 245 tires like they're candy. And the C6 handles better than the Mustang. You feel like you're in an actual sports car, rather than the wallowing softness of a Mustang. If you're not satisfied, you can even throw the wide fenders from the Grand Sport or Z06 and fit 285 front/345 rear tires while maintaining stock appearance.

That being said, the C6 gives up a lot to the Mustang in terms of interior quality. The Mustang is quieter and is more solid overall.

If you can deal with the interior of the C6, buy that. If you can pony up the money and get the C7 convertible, get that.
Regardless, with the C6 you're getting a car that will depreciate less(Mustangs depreciate a lot), will handle better, is a lot faster, will hook better on the street, will get better gas mileage, is cheaper to modify than the 5.0 Coyote(LS3 has tons of aftermarket support. Just look at what heads and cams cost on a 5.0 engine), and just looks more aggressive. I still get compliments, even though it's the previous model.
I still think most drivers won't notice a very significant difference on the street. I may be understating exactly how much of a difference it will be for some, but based on my experience jumping around from ~300-450 hp cars on the street, it will be noticeable, but not significant enough to make up for the other disadvantages IMO. I'm not sure why you think the torque curve for the LS3 is much better than in the Coyote, though. If anything, the Coyote's seems slightly flatter to me:

But if you really want a little more oomph, you can get the performance package with the 3.73 FDR.

I agree about the gas mileage advantage. That could be nice depending on the OP's situation.

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of the differences in tires, though. For a street cars, wider tires are almost always more of a nuisance than narrower tires. Worse in the rain, worse in terms of tracking crevices on the road, more susceptible to punctures, more expensive to replace.

But again, you can get 255s and 275s on the GT with the PP, at least. And with 9.5" diameter rims out back, you can always go wider if you want.
Old 08-11-15, 08:17 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ricknee
Not really sure what you're trying to demonstrate there, it's pretty difficult to compare two different dynos, because they don't read the same. Having driven both of them, the Corvette simply has more power at lower RPM while the 5.0 likes to be revved higher. Also, the 5-6mph difference would be approximately like adding 50-60rwhp to the Mustang and it would take headers and a tune for you to really even out and get to stock C6 levels, maybe slightly faster. Meanwhile, headers and a tune on the C6 will again place it pretty significantly ahead. At that point you'd have a bottom 12 to high 11 second car.

Wider tires are definitely not a nuisance except for very rare instances. While they may be more expensive, the extra grip is definitely worth it and there are no issues that I've experienced in any level of rain. Maybe when the tread gets extremely low you'll run into issues because it will "float, but not at this point. You could also argue that a lighter vehicle will hydroplane sooner than a heavier vehicle with all other things equal, but is that a real argument for you to not choose the vehicle? I think not. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=16
Overall, though, what's the point of having the power if you cannot hook? Plus, the price difference when I got my 305 super sports was not significantly higher than a 275 tire. I think the price difference was maybe $30 at the time. Now it's about $55 more per tire. It is, however, about $130 more per tire compared to a 255. But the amount of time that these tires last, and the fact that they hook so well, the $260 is worth it.
When it comes to punctures, you can claim that due to the extra width, but I don't think there are any studies that actually back that up. Plus, you can buy road hazard warranty and get new tires from a puncture, so it's not really a big deal if it does happen.
As far as a 9.5" rear width wheel, you're not going to go any wider than a 275 without major bulge. You're maxed out on that wheel size. You'll need a 10.5" if you want to go to a 305.

The real disadvantages of the C6 are the cheap interior, extra road noise, no back seat, old-man stigma, a very expensive-to-replace rear hatch glass, and the fact that if the battery dies, you have to find the key hole in the back, open the hatch, pull the door release cable, all to just get in. You also need to insulate the cupholders.
The advantages are that is cheaper to insure, fits a wider tire(which is better, no matter how much you convince yourself that having skinny tires is better), cheaper aftermarket parts, faster, better gas mileage, handles better, less depreciation, etc.

Advantages of the Mustang: backseat, quieter, nicer interior, cheaper tires(because they're skinnier), picks up a decent amount of power with just a tune, and that's all I can think of.
Disadvantages: Mustang stigma is even worse than the old-man stigma, depreciates far more, aftermarket is less abundant and is more expensive, insurance is more(guess who the main demographic is?), skinnier tires, weird aviation references inside, worse gas mileage, and that's all I can think of.
I know what hydroplaning is... That write-up didn't really disprove anything I said about it. Confirmed it if anything. Wider tires WILL make you more susceptible to hydroplaning. It's simple physics. Wider tires will also result in all the other things I said. We can debate how significant those differences are, but they are there, and they are worth considering for a street car. And one other thing I forgot is that wider tires tend to be more sensitive to alignment issues with camber and toe. If either are off, or your bushings are too soft, you will eat through a wide tire very quickly.

You're right that you probably can't fit anything wider than 275 on a 9.5" rim, though. I had some wires crossed in the calculator in my head when I said that.

You're also probably right that you would need to add about 50-60 hp to the Mustang to match the Corvette's straight line speed. My point is just that that difference wouldn't be *THAT* noticeably on the street based on my own personal experience. You would know it was there, for sure, but I don't think the car would the so much more fun around town that it would make up for the other luxuries and conveniences that you sacrifice with the Corvette. When you're talking about a 435-hp car, +50-60 hp really isn't a whole new world IMO.

As for your disadvantages: Not trying to make it personal, but "stigmas" (for either car) should not be a consideration unless one is pretty insecure. I understand liking some attention, but I don't understand why people care at all what others think about them for driving their car. Also think the complaints about the "ground speed" thing on the speedometer is just completely silly nitpicking. It was obviously meant to be a cheesy little joke, and the Mustang was originally named after the WWII plane, anyways, so it's a nice reference to that. Insurance, in my experience, is not more, either (I asked my insurance for a quote on a C6 before buying my Mustang since I was considering it), but I haven't seen empirical data on that, so maybe you're right. You're right about the aftermarket, but the importance there depends on whether the chikoo is interested in modding. The difference in gas mileage will ultimately amount to about $10/month assuming 1000 mi/month. I'll give you depreciation especially given that the Corvette is two years older.

I guess it comes down to what chikoo's priorities are. Based on what I thought it sounded like he was looking for, the Mustang seemed like a fairly clear choice to me. But I'm biased for obvious reasons (even though, as I said, I really do love both cars and am even considering buying a Corvette), as are you, so OP is probably best at evaluating our input, heh.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 08-11-15 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-12-15, 10:19 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I know what hydroplaning is... That write-up didn't really disprove anything I said about it. Confirmed it if anything. Wider tires WILL make you more susceptible to hydroplaning. It's simple physics. Wider tires will also result in all the other things I said. We can debate how significant those differences are, but they are there, and they are worth considering for a street car. And one other thing I forgot is that wider tires tend to be more sensitive to alignment issues with camber and toe. If either are off, or your bushings are too soft, you will eat through a wide tire very quickly.

You're right that you probably can't fit anything wider than 275 on a 9.5" rim, though. I had some wires crossed in the calculator in my head when I said that.

You're also probably right that you would need to add about 50-60 hp to the Mustang to match the Corvette's straight line speed. My point is just that that difference wouldn't be *THAT* noticeably on the street based on my own personal experience. You would know it was there, for sure, but I don't think the car would the so much more fun around town that it would make up for the other luxuries and conveniences that you sacrifice with the Corvette. When you're talking about a 435-hp car, +50-60 hp really isn't a whole new world IMO.

As for your disadvantages: Not trying to make it personal, but "stigmas" (for either car) should not be a consideration unless one is pretty insecure. I understand liking some attention, but I don't understand why people care at all what others think about them for driving their car. Also think the complaints about the "ground speed" thing on the speedometer is just completely silly nitpicking. It was obviously meant to be a cheesy little joke, and the Mustang was originally named after the WWII plane, anyways, so it's a nice reference to that. Insurance, in my experience, is not more, either (I asked my insurance for a quote on a C6 before buying my Mustang since I was considering it), but I haven't seen empirical data on that, so maybe you're right. You're right about the aftermarket, but the importance there depends on whether the chikoo is interested in modding. The difference in gas mileage will ultimately amount to about $10/month assuming 1000 mi/month. I'll give you depreciation especially given that the Corvette is two years older.

I guess it comes down to what chikoo's priorities are. Based on what I thought it sounded like he was looking for, the Mustang seemed like a fairly clear choice to me. But I'm biased for obvious reasons (even though, as I said, I really do love both cars and am even considering buying a Corvette), as are you, so OP is probably best at evaluating our input, heh.
Heh heh Rocketguy. You are on target. I have my priorities but do not want to pollute the open discussion with that.
Regarding stigmas, I am neither a young one or a retired old man. In my vehicle purchases through out my life, stigmas were never a part of the decision process. If I did, I would be a HonToy guy based upon my social circle.
Keep the discussion on. I am learning a lot and appreciate you all participating in it.
Old 08-12-15, 10:44 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think stigmas are even worth mentioning. With any sports/performance car (or maybe any car in general), someone is going to hate you for driving it, and someone is going to love you. Who cares? Drive what you like.
Old 08-12-15, 12:45 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Vette......... Hands down. The new mustang is badass but why not get a faster car that will turn more heads and you dont have to take the massive hit on depreciation. 2013 Vette.
+1, I'd go for a Grand Sport garage queen (but targa top not the vert).

Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang GT convertible or 2013 Corvette convertible?