Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which would you buy for a (mostly) track/weekend-fun car?
Cayman GT4, whether or not price was a factor
66.67%
Corvette, ultimately because of the price difference
14.58%
Corvette, whether or not price was a factor
18.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Cayman GT4 or C7 Z51 Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-16, 10:19 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I guess they make enough $$$$ selling SUV's that they can limit production and **** profits away to the wind. Its not like the 911 or Cayman are hand built cars like the 918. I can understand limited production on a hand built carbon fiber exotic, but damn keep that line moving, if people want to shell out $100k or 200k on your highly marked up GT cars, well build them and laugh all the way to the bank.

Stuff like limiting production and charging just IMO stupid amounts of $$$$(along with selling SUV's) kind of gives me the bad taste in the mouth that their cars are really more about people flaunting their wealth than the driving experience.
Well the thing is that if they didn't limit production, no one would be paying marked up prices for any GT4s. They might not even be paying MSRP.
Old 04-07-16, 08:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
^^
If you go shopping for the GT4, take me with you
haha come on dude it's time you upgrade your e63 to the gt4
Old 04-07-16, 09:14 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
haha come on dude it's time you upgrade your e63 to the gt4
Soon enough !

Can't have so many two seaters! Sell me your nsx and you go buy the gt4

Even though nsx is wrong color
Old 01-16-17, 11:19 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Belated update, but I ended up getting the GT4. Picked it up in July, still only has about 900 miles on it (long story). Had the Grand Sport been available at the time, the question may have become even more interesting...

Cayman GT4 or C7 Z51 Corvette?-wdyszcp.jpg

Cayman GT4 or C7 Z51 Corvette?-dpqe04f.jpg

Name:  z93sfsx.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  129.6 KB

More pics here:
http://imgur.com/a/aoUvf

And no, sadly she hasn't yet seen track time.
Old 01-17-17, 05:12 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Belated update, but I ended up getting the GT4. Picked it up in July, still only has about 900 miles on it (long story). Had the Grand Sport been available at the time, the question may have become even more interesting...

More pics here:
http://imgur.com/a/aoUvf

And no, sadly she hasn't yet seen track time.
Great car and luv the Sapphire Blue Metallic! Enjoy it in good health.
Old 01-17-17, 07:38 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Congrats on the Porsche!
Quick question. How did your IS350 fair vs the Mustang on the track and street?

V.
Old 01-17-17, 07:46 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts

Hot dang, that paint is fantastic! Great choice!
Old 01-17-17, 08:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

drop... dead... gorgeous.

congrats!
Old 01-17-17, 09:41 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Incidentally, my dealer actually kinda screwed me on the order. My first choice was Porsche's "Racing Yellow". Long story (not sure if I already told it in this thread, actually, heh).

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Congrats on the Porsche!
Quick question. How did your IS350 fair vs the Mustang on the track and street?

V.
Thanks!

Unfortunately I don't have a quick answer for your quick question, haha.

It's not an entirely fair comparison since I had about $5K in chassis/performance mods on the IS350 (Tein CS coilovers with EDFC, stiffer LCA bushings, F-sport sway bars, AME Tracer FS-01 18" rims that saved quite a bit of rotating, unsprung mass). But at least after all that (I never tracked it before the mods), the IS350 was way more fun than people give/gave it credit for and totally held its own around a track with anything else out there. It felt very tight, yet still had a surprisingly compliant ride. The Mustang is stock (although equipped with the PP), yet I think the spring rate is such that I can feel uneven roads a little more easily, even though there's still eeever so slightly more body roll to go with it. The Mustang also tends a little more towards understeer than my IS did, probably as a combination of having an all-factory setup, and the fact that it was a little more nose-heavy. The GT also came with garbage tires from the factory, which didn't help anything.

Having all that out of the way, the Mustang was still more fun around a track, and obviously faster (though maybe not by as much as one would think, at least until I learn the car better). That V8 power and growl is just irresistible. And then there's the transmission... No manual in the IS, which makes it easier to drive fast, but A) obviously less fun, and B) that 2007 Lexus IS transmission is NOT tuned for the track. Shifting up and down and side to side everywhere without my permission. Putting it in "manual" mode is kinda lame given how much lag there was between a paddle click and a shift event. Then there was the VSC... Dear god, that effing VSC. Soooooo aggravatingly intrusive on the Lexus. And there is no intermediate setting -- it's either on or off. I could reasonably handle the car with aids off, and it could be kinda fun, but it still made me a little uneasy. The Mustang has a sport+ mode that basically keeps the nannies out of your way until you're about to be facing the wrong direction, and you can take it even further with Race mode. The brakes in the Mustang are also unbelievable. 15" front rotors are impossible to beat in that class or price range. Great pedal feel, and zero fade.

On the street, the Mustang has the slight overall edge just as a result of being eight years newer, but the Lexus was absolutely *incredible* for its time and still holds up well today. In fact, I still kind of miss the navigation system on occasion (MyFordTouch is garbage), along with some other amenities. In terms of interior comfort and quality, the Mustang isn't far behind. Infotainment UI complaints aside, the Stang obviously has the edge in terms of tech after eight years, plus some things like the seat warming and cooling work better. But I kinda miss some things that I couldn't get easily (or at all) on the Mustang: auto-dimming side mirrors, rear sunshade, rain-sensing wipers, seat position memory...

Overall, I definitely enjoy the Mustang more, but the Lexus was an unbelievable car for its time.

/lifestory
Old 01-17-17, 10:03 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Great choice on the GT4. That car is gorgeous.
Old 01-17-17, 11:03 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Beautiful Porsche!!!! Love that color.
Old 01-17-17, 11:37 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Great choice Congrats !!!
Old 01-17-17, 03:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

gorgeous, wonderful car!!! congrats!!!!
Old 01-17-17, 05:22 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 466 Likes on 293 Posts

Great car. Congrats!!
Old 01-19-17, 08:37 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Incidentally, my dealer actually kinda screwed me on the order. My first choice was Porsche's "Racing Yellow". Long story (not sure if I already told it in this thread, actually, heh).

Thanks!

Unfortunately I don't have a quick answer for your quick question, haha.

It's not an entirely fair comparison since I had about $5K in chassis/performance mods on the IS350 (Tein CS coilovers with EDFC, stiffer LCA bushings, F-sport sway bars, AME Tracer FS-01 18" rims that saved quite a bit of rotating, unsprung mass). But at least after all that (I never tracked it before the mods), the IS350 was way more fun than people give/gave it credit for and totally held its own around a track with anything else out there. It felt very tight, yet still had a surprisingly compliant ride. The Mustang is stock (although equipped with the PP), yet I think the spring rate is such that I can feel uneven roads a little more easily, even though there's still eeever so slightly more body roll to go with it. The Mustang also tends a little more towards understeer than my IS did, probably as a combination of having an all-factory setup, and the fact that it was a little more nose-heavy. The GT also came with garbage tires from the factory, which didn't help anything.

Having all that out of the way, the Mustang was still more fun around a track, and obviously faster (though maybe not by as much as one would think, at least until I learn the car better). That V8 power and growl is just irresistible. And then there's the transmission... No manual in the IS, which makes it easier to drive fast, but A) obviously less fun, and B) that 2007 Lexus IS transmission is NOT tuned for the track. Shifting up and down and side to side everywhere without my permission. Putting it in "manual" mode is kinda lame given how much lag there was between a paddle click and a shift event. Then there was the VSC... Dear god, that effing VSC. Soooooo aggravatingly intrusive on the Lexus. And there is no intermediate setting -- it's either on or off. I could reasonably handle the car with aids off, and it could be kinda fun, but it still made me a little uneasy. The Mustang has a sport+ mode that basically keeps the nannies out of your way until you're about to be facing the wrong direction, and you can take it even further with Race mode. The brakes in the Mustang are also unbelievable. 15" front rotors are impossible to beat in that class or price range. Great pedal feel, and zero fade.

On the street, the Mustang has the slight overall edge just as a result of being eight years newer, but the Lexus was absolutely *incredible* for its time and still holds up well today. In fact, I still kind of miss the navigation system on occasion (MyFordTouch is garbage), along with some other amenities. In terms of interior comfort and quality, the Mustang isn't far behind. Infotainment UI complaints aside, the Stang obviously has the edge in terms of tech after eight years, plus some things like the seat warming and cooling work better. But I kinda miss some things that I couldn't get easily (or at all) on the Mustang: auto-dimming side mirrors, rear sunshade, rain-sensing wipers, seat position memory...

Overall, I definitely enjoy the Mustang more, but the Lexus was an unbelievable car for its time.

/lifestory
Thanks for your very detailed response!

V.

Quick Reply: Cayman GT4 or C7 Z51 Corvette?