Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which would you buy for a (mostly) track/weekend-fun car?
Cayman GT4, whether or not price was a factor
66.67%
Corvette, ultimately because of the price difference
14.58%
Corvette, whether or not price was a factor
18.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Cayman GT4 or C7 Z51 Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-16, 09:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Can't believe you're still cross-shopping these two cars.

If it makes it any easier, the GT4 doesn't appear to be nearly as in demand as initially perceived, so I doubt the resale is going to be anything amazing (especially in the short term). A friend of mine was down in LA last weekend and told me one of the dealers had FIVE (!) on the lot available at MSRP. That could be better if you won't care as much about driving it all the time, or worse if you are concerned about selling it later on.
wow really? this could be very good news for me!
Old 04-03-16, 09:09 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
Yeah, work a deal over the phone and have it shipped for about $500.
Old 04-04-16, 11:00 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Adding to the garage or replacing the NSX?
Old 04-04-16, 08:15 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't believe you're still cross-shopping these two cars.

If it makes it any easier, the GT4 doesn't appear to be nearly as in demand as initially perceived, so I doubt the resale is going to be anything amazing (especially in the short term). A friend of mine was down in LA last weekend and told me one of the dealers had FIVE (!) on the lot available at MSRP. That could be better if you won't care as much about driving it all the time, or worse if you are concerned about selling it later on.
From what I've been seeing over at Rennlist, the demand still outweighs the supply. It's not quite GT350R territory at this point, but dealers in many places (especially Cali) are still getting 5-10K over MSRP.

But yeah, the shortage concerns have definitely decreased. You're still pretty much screwed if you want an allocation to order to your own spec, though. So I'm thanking my lucky stars in that regard...

On that note, I really need to make up my mind before it comes time to put in my order. I don't want to screw another potential buyer out of a chance to configure the car exactly how they want... I wonder if I can sell an allocation, heh.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 04-04-16 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-04-16, 08:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GSteg
Adding to the garage or replacing the NSX?
still don't see myself selling the nsx yet, but i always tell myself one day i will get a porsche. was only interested in the 911, the gt4 is the first cayman that i like with performance to back it up.

although likely i need to get something for my wife first...
Old 04-05-16, 05:16 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Ya, it's tempting to just go pick one up if they're sitting on lots. Probably could even get a good deal on one. BTW, McKenna Porsche in case you're interested. In fact it seems they even have 6 on the lot:

http://mckenna.porschedealer.com/new...&condition=new

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
You're still pretty much screwed if you want an allocation to order to your own spec, though. So I'm thanking my lucky stars in that regard...
Seems odd - so all these GT4s sitting on lots, are they customer-ordered cars that people never bought?
Old 04-05-16, 09:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Ya, it's tempting to just go pick one up if they're sitting on lots. Probably could even get a good deal on one. BTW, McKenna Porsche in case you're interested. In fact it seems they even have 6 on the lot:

http://mckenna.porschedealer.com/new...&condition=new

Seems odd - so all these GT4s sitting on lots, are they customer-ordered cars that people never bought?
oh my goodness they are only 15 mins away from me!

yeah it's definitely tempting. gt3 is still "the car" to get given the history, but the demand and asking price is just so crazy, as much as i want it it just doesn't make that much sense.

but now if there are gt4 out there that i can actually get deals on, that's a very different story (especially the msrp is not too outrages to begin with imho)
Old 04-05-16, 11:53 PM
gengar

oh my goodness they are only 15 mins away from me!

yeah it's definitely tempting. gt3 is still "the car" to get given the history, but the demand and asking price is just so crazy, as much as i want it it just doesn't make that much sense.

but now if there are gt4 out there that i can actually get deals on, that's a very different story (especially the msrp is not too outrages to begin with imho)
To me, the other super appealing aspect of the GT4 is the unique combination of 1) it not likely having a successor (that isn't turbocharged anyway) and 2) it not having a predecessor of any sort. So if you want a naturally-aspirated, high-revving Cayman that actually makes a lot of power, then the GT4 is all you've got.

OTOH the 991 GT3 is just going to get replaced by something better in a few years. That's why I think it's absolutely nuts to pay $300k+ after markup for an RS. And I'm still convinced the 997.2 is a better driver's car, and there's a whole generation before that refresh too, so you can go backwards in time to get a GT3 that you like. Not so with the GT4.

The only thing I really wish Porsche did with the GT4 is offer more options (this is why it's so easy to spec out a GTS that costs more than even a spec'd GT4, because the GT4 has so few amenities/luxury options). That's actually the #1 thing that makes me hesitate about picking one up. No reason why something that goes in the GTS can't go in the GT4.
Old 04-06-16, 09:08 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I really wish I could get a rearview camera and keyless entry/ignition on the Porsche -- something I've had in other cars I've driven for nearly a decade now.

To me, there are still major advantages to the Corvette, especially now that the Grand Sport is on the table... buuut I suppose we've been down that road already, heh.

Yeah, that seems to be the case. Lotta people on Rennlist are upset about it since the flippers and the people who flake out are robbing "legit" buyers of an opportunity to spec a car to their liking. That and dealers are spec-ing their own optioned-out GT4s hoping to take advantage of a hot market.

Part of why I hope to make up my mind soon... although there are worse problems in the world than a one-percenter not getting to option his Porsche exactly as he wants.
Old 04-06-16, 11:06 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I really wish I could get a rearview camera and keyless entry/ignition on the Porsche -- something I've had in other cars I've driven for nearly a decade now.

To me, there are still major advantages to the Corvette, especially now that the Grand Sport is on the table... buuut I suppose we've been down that road already, heh.

Yeah, that seems to be the case. Lotta people on Rennlist are upset about it since the flippers and the people who flake out are robbing "legit" buyers of an opportunity to spec a car to their liking. That and dealers are spec-ing their own optioned-out GT4s hoping to take advantage of a hot market.

Part of why I hope to make up my mind soon... although there are worse problems in the world than a one-percenter not getting to option his Porsche exactly as he wants.

See, I don't get why Porsche limits production on special models like this, saying we are only going to build 2,000 of them. Well you might make more $$$$ if you just build enough to satisfy
demand. I know the Corvette is sold like that. Plus you end up pissing off your customers when they can't buy one.
Old 04-06-16, 11:23 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Aron9000
See, I don't get why Porsche limits production on special models like this, saying we are only going to build 2,000 of them. Well you might make more $$$$ if you just build enough to satisfy
demand. I know the Corvette is sold like that. Plus you end up pissing off your customers when they can't buy one.
Have you heard of Porsche's "demand minus one" strategy? With many of their models (especially GT cars), they basically will make just about as many of these cars as the market will take without incentives, and maybe even with a slight markup. It creates an artificial supply shortage, which helps them maintain an image of exclusivity and charge a premium for cars that, at least on-paper, are outclassed by the competition for the price.

I think I've read that their GT cars also have slimmer profit margins (they're certainly better performance values), so they may be passing some of that burden along to dealers, and helping them out by limiting production so dealers don't have to discount the cars...?

Either way, I agree that it's lame to artificially limit production on a car [or any product] that isn't specifically designated as a limited edition. One of the many things that makes Porsches feel kind of fake and poseur-ish to me, but I think it works out for them from a business standpoint.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 04-06-16 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-06-16, 11:37 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Have you heard of Porsche's "demand minus one" strategy? With many of their models (especially GT cars), they basically will make just about as many of these cars as the market will take without incentives, and maybe even with a slight markup. It creates an artificial supply shortage, which helps them maintain an image of exclusivity and charge a premium for cars that, at least on-paper, are outclassed by the competition for the price.

I think I've read that their GT cars also have slimmer profit margins (they're certainly better performance values), so they may be passing some of that burden along to dealers, and helping them out by limiting production so dealers don't have to discount the cars...?

Either way, I agree that it's lame to artificially limit production on a car [or any product] that isn't specifically designated as a limited edition. One of the many things that makes Porsches feel kind of fake and poseur-ish to me, but I think it works out for them from a business standpoint.
I guess they make enough $$$$ selling SUV's that they can limit production and **** profits away to the wind. Its not like the 911 or Cayman are hand built cars like the 918. I can understand limited production on a hand built carbon fiber exotic, but damn keep that line moving, if people want to shell out $100k or 200k on your highly marked up GT cars, well build them and laugh all the way to the bank.

Stuff like limiting production and charging just IMO stupid amounts of $$$$(along with selling SUV's) kind of gives me the bad taste in the mouth that their cars are really more about people flaunting their wealth than the driving experience.
Old 04-06-16, 04:49 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by Aron9000
What's ironic is that they pretty much built the Carrera GT until they couldn't sell any more. The 918 also took a while to sell out, from what I understand. So even at their top-end, supercar/hypercar offering, they haven't traditionally limited them so much.

Have you heard of Porsche's "demand minus one" strategy?
I think traditionally and historically it's been Ferrari who mastered the "demand minus one" supply strategy. Not sure if Porsche has adopted it more recently. Obviously, they have always limited supply of the GT3 line. Amazing how those things sell USED for a premium over MSRP - for years, too.
Old 04-06-16, 09:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

To me, the other super appealing aspect of the GT4 is the unique combination of 1) it not likely having a successor (that isn't turbocharged anyway) and 2) it not having a predecessor of any sort. So if you want a naturally-aspirated, high-revving Cayman that actually makes a lot of power, then the GT4 is all you've got.

OTOH the 991 GT3 is just going to get replaced by something better in a few years. That's why I think it's absolutely nuts to pay $300k+ after markup for an RS. And I'm still convinced the 997.2 is a better driver's car, and there's a whole generation before that refresh too, so you can go backwards in time to get a GT3 that you like. Not so with the GT4.

The only thing I really wish Porsche did with the GT4 is offer more options (this is why it's so easy to spec out a GTS that costs more than even a spec'd GT4, because the GT4 has so few amenities/luxury options). That's actually the #1 thing that makes me hesitate about picking one up. No reason why something that goes in the GTS can't go in the GT4.
i didn't look too deep in to the options for gt4, interesting. but you are so right about the gt4 being unique too, never thought of it that way. absolutely agree with you on the gt3, the rs is just insane. even the regular gt3 imho is quite expensive already and people are asking for markup which i can't make sense of!!

from another angle, the fact that quite a few parts from gt3 made their way to the gt4 and yet the gt4 costs quite a chunk less, that's something
Old 04-06-16, 09:55 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

^^
If you go shopping for the GT4, take me with you

Quick Reply: Cayman GT4 or C7 Z51 Corvette?