Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interesting...Toyota's Lexus Testing Haggle-Free Sales at 12 U.S. Stores

Old 08-27-16, 01:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Do new vehicles need to be submitted for the annual safety inspection?
New vehicles purchased in Virginia that have been inspected in accordance with an inspection requirement of the manufacturer or distributor are not required to undergo the initial annual safety inspection. Placement of an inspection sticker on the windshield of a vehicle will be at the automobile dealer’s option. Such inspection by the automobile dealer shall be deemed to be the first inspection for meeting the purpose of § 46.2-1158Code of Virginia. However, these vehicles must be reinspected within twelve months of the month of the first inspection or purchase and at least once every twelve months thereafter and display a valid inspection decal. If an inspection sticker is not placed on the windshield by the manufacturer or distributor, the owner should maintain documentation within the vehicle to show when the vehicle was purchased and to serve as a reference for future requirements for inspection.

While the new language in Section 46.2-1158.01 states that “an inspection sticker may be affixed to the vehicle as required by Section 46-2-1163.”, for several practical reasons, an approval sticker should be affixed to the vehicle. The reasons are as follows:
  1. Once the purchaser drives the vehicle off the lot, it no longer meets the definition of a new vehicle as defined in Section 46.2-1500 of the Code of Virginia. Not if, but when the purchaser is stopped by law enforcement for not displaying an inspection sticker, and returns to the selling dealership for a sticker, the vehicle will be subject to an official state inspection like any other used vehicle. This obviously could lead to customer dissatisfaction.
  2. The affixing of the sticker to the new vehicle will prevent the vehicle from being unnecessarily stopped by law enforcement.
  3. In the absence of a sticker, there will be no visual reminder to the driver when the vehicle needs to be re-inspected. If the vehicle is not re-inspected as required by Section 46.2-1157 of the Code of Virginia, the operator would be subject to a traffic summons.
The affixing of an official inspection sticker to all “new vehicles” will be to the mutual benefit of the automobile dealer, the customer, and law enforcement.

If a vehicle is purchased out-of-state and then registered in Virginia, it must be inspected once it is registered in this state.
I'm not going to argue this all day long, Jill. What you posted is correct in that every new car in VA is not necessarily (physically) given a safety inspection (though the manufacturer's check-off list for a new car or a CPO generally covers most of it). But the sticker, itself, nevertheless, is put on the car because it is a state law that it must be displayed....a cop can ticket you if you don't have one. The first in-depth safety inspection, of course, is at the one-year mark....but most vehicles, unless driven very hard, don't have may worn-out parts at that time.

Not only have I lived in this state almost continually since I was 10 years old (so I have at least some idea of what I'm taking about)..but one of my recent neighbors was a Virginia State Trooper......the entire Virginia safety-inspection program, organizationally, is run under the authority of the State Police. I think HE knew what he was talking about.
Old 08-27-16, 01:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

So I am assuming you believe that the FAQ on the DMV for Virginia is incorrect?
Your interpretation of it is incorrect. What it says is that the physical act of inspecting the vehicle can be substituted by the manufacturer or distributors quality control or pre delivery inspection process. It then says that a dealer does not have to display a sticker, but when the purchaser gets stopped they will have to return for a sticker at which time they will have to have an inspection done because the car will no longer qualify as new. So what they are saying is "you don't have to do this, but really you do actually have to do this".

Look at this dealers inventory:

http://www.lindsaylexusofalexandria.com

What does every car have on the windshield? An inspection sticker.

I've bought 2 Lexus vehicles from this dealer, both were inspected with stickers and certificates. My LS460 was an exchange from this dealer...guess what it had? An inspection sticker and a certificate. My partner bought his GS from this dealer, guess what it had, an inspection sticker and a certificate.

Look around at other VA car dealer sites, you will find all their cars have what? Inspection stickers in the windshield. Why? Because in VA ALL cars must be inspected.

When you move to VA and buy a car and they don't inspect it prior to your purchase, then come share that with us. Otherwise you're just wasting all our time.
Old 08-27-16, 01:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not going to argue this all day long, Jill. What you posted is correct in that every new car in VA is not necessarily (physically) given a safety inspection (though the manufacturer's check-off list for a new car or a CPO generally covers most of it). .
Thank you! That is all I have been trying to say.
Old 08-27-16, 01:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thank you! That is all I have been trying to say.
He and I both have said that at least 4 times.
Old 08-27-16, 01:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Not only have I lived in this state almost continually since I was 10 years old (so I have at least some idea of what I'm taking about)..but one of my recent neighbors was a Virginia State Trooper......the entire Virginia safety-inspection program, organizationally, is run under the authority of the State Police. I think HE knew what he was talking about.
The idea of having a safety sticker is pointless anyway. In Ontario you cannot get your registration without an emissions test code when that occurs. Likewise, when transferring ownership, you cannot get title without a safety inspection. Virginia should just tie in the safety requirement with the vehicle registration, its really silly that you have to have all these stickers.
Old 08-27-16, 02:23 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The idea of having a safety sticker is pointless anyway. In Ontario you cannot get your registration without an emissions test code when that occurs. Likewise, when transferring ownership, you cannot get title without a safety inspection. Virginia should just tie in the safety requirement with the vehicle registration, its really silly that you have to have all these stickers.
Google State of VA and send in your suggestion. I'm sure they'll get right back to you.
Old 08-27-16, 02:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Listen, Jill.....I'm not going to defend every silly or pick-pocket automotive law that we have here in Virginia. Yes, the state charges not only sales tax on a new car (or used one), but a fee for the annual safety inspection (not when the car is first delivered), a fee for the bi-annual emissions tests (in the parts of the state where EPA requires it, near the major cities), a personal-property tax on the KBB-assessed value of your car and other transportation vehicles each year (the so-called "car tax"), but also allows the dealer to charge whatever they want for a processing fee. There is not only a state registration fee each year for cars, but a county one, too. Though I'm not an aggressive driver or speeder myself, and don't necessarily condone radar-detectors, we are probably the only state in the country that outlaws their use in the state...and the state police have "detector-detectors" that can sense their operation, leading to {legal) impoundment of the device.

However, the reason we have such unusual tax laws is that our unique state constitution forbids a County income tax, so local jurisdictions generally substitute other small bull-**** fees and taxes (the ones I named, for instance, plus a real-estate tax on the value of your home and property) to substitute for the money they can't collect directly from your income. Fortunately, there was a rollback on the "car tax" pushed through some years ago by a Republican governor, where the state itself covers part of it and reimburses counties, so as car-owners, we're not paying the full value of the tax. And, more and more dealers in the state are now giving customers perks like free annual safety/emissions inspections when needed (I get them free on my Verano, and also did formerly on my Subaru).

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-27-16 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-27-16, 02:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Listen, Jill.....I'm not going to defend every silly or pick-pocket automotive law that we have here in Virginia. Yes, the state charges not only sales tax on a new car (or used one), but a fee for the annual safety inspection (not when the car is first delivered), a fee for the bi-annual emissions tests (in the parts of the state where EPA requires it, near the major cities), a personal-property tax on the KBB-assessed value of your car and other transportation vehicles each year (the so-called "car tax"), but also allows the dealer to charge whatever they want for a processing fee. There is not only a state registration fee each year for cars, but a county one, too. Though I'm not an aggressive driver or speeder myself, and don't necessarily condone radar-detectors, we are probably the only state in the country that outlaws their use in the state...and the state police have "detector-detectors" that can sense their operation, leading to {legal) impoundment of the device.

However, the reason we have such unusual tax laws is that our unique state constitution forbids a County income tax, so local jurisdictions generally substitute other small bull-**** fees and taxes (the ones I named, for instance, plus a real-estate tax on the value of your home and property) to substitute for the money they can't collect directly from your income. Fortunately, there was a rollback on the "car tax" pushed through some years ago by a Republican governor, where the state itself covers part of it and reimburses counties, so as car-owners, we're not paying the full value of the tax. And, more and more dealers in the state are now giving customers perks like free annual safety/emissions inspections when needed (I get them free on my Verano, and also did formerly on my Subaru).
Ok, fair enough. I don't understand why you went off on a crazy tangent about all of the above, but that is ok LOL. All I am saying is that in order to get you vehicle registration sticker, you should be able to not proceed to it with out first your safety inspection and then emissions test if applicable. No need for all of these stickers.
Old 08-27-16, 02:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Google State of VA and send in your suggestion. I'm sure they'll get right back to you.
LOL, exactly.
Old 08-27-16, 05:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Ok, fair enough. I don't understand why you went off on a crazy tangent about all of the above, but that is ok LOL. All I am saying is that in order to get you vehicle registration sticker, you should be able to not proceed to it with out first your safety inspection and then emissions test if applicable. No need for all of these stickers.
You may consider it a crazy tangent.....fine, as I respect your opinion. But that's just my forum style......always has been (and you've known me long enough to know that). I try and explain myself thoroughly. That's why I don't just sit down and write a review, for example, in 10 minutes.