Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interesting...Toyota's Lexus Testing Haggle-Free Sales at 12 U.S. Stores

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-15, 04:50 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by theoryguy
Just a tactic to preserve margins, it won't work in where theres high competition or choices of alternatives
Yes - watching how this develops will be interesting to say the least. I just don't see how you test it in just a fraction of the dealers and get an accurate assessment. The way we buy vehicles now is a product of how car sellers chose to sell their product - I am not sure reversing course now is going to work so well.

I guess we will see.
Old 08-06-15, 04:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'd support most anything that would make purchasing/leasing a vehicle less painful. i can't think of a worse 'retail' experience.
If you want to find out, try getting help at Walmart's LOL.
Old 08-06-15, 05:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you want to find out, try getting help at Walmart's LOL.
Wouldn't know, I've never been in a Walmart

For me I hate the idea of no haggling, because I can always negotiate a great deal. For most consumers this is a win.
Old 08-06-15, 05:40 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
I hope they publish the list of dealers participating in the program so we can get a sense of how this was set up (a cluster of dealers in a big market or a dealer here and a dealer there)
It will be interesting to see where these test dealerships are. I was wondering if they'd place them in various geographic areas around the country to see where consumers might warm up to the concept more than other areas etc.
Old 08-06-15, 05:50 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Fixed Price No Negotiation Lexus Dealers?

Carmax much?
Old 08-06-15, 06:09 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not gonna work.... bad move, Lexus
Old 08-06-15, 07:16 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudiculous
Carmax much?
Sold some cars to them but never bought any from them.

Not really sure you can transpose the carmax business model to make it work across all vehicle manufacturers - it seems to be in a class of its own.

Last edited by gmanusmc; 08-06-15 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-06-15, 07:19 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I would miss haggling

The Tesla thing is a turn off. No play on the car price. I asked how they a treat trade in and I was told they are at the low end and that you may just want to go to Car Max. I guess they really aren't in the used car business at this point for brands other than Teslas.

Back to haggling. I recently got a pair of nice speakers (Wharfedale Jade 3). I was able to use a 10% sale offer to start, then asked for a second discount and got that and then said I would pick them up instead of taking the free shipping and got a third discount.

And then there is Real Estate haggling. I am working on buying another apartment building. I started $300k under ask, the guy came down $100K, I offered another $25K and he came down another $20K. Since i don't have to have the building I am just letting him stew to see what more he is willing to give up.

If car buying ends up not haggle at least I will have still have the fun from doing it with Real Estate.
Old 08-06-15, 11:39 PM
semar
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default fixed prices

Looking back to the sixties in Germany there was no haggling.
The car (VW, Opel, Ford, Mercedes) with this equipment cost xxxx
An neutral mechanical engineering firm established the value of your trade in and that was it.The certificate was valid for a few days and you could use it to buy any new car
So where did customers go to? To the ones who had the best aftersale service. Top notch mechanics, excellent workmanship.
Sale is only the first step. MSR prices are that - only a suggestion. Who knows what the real value is? Incentives, rebates, quotas, muddle the field for the majority.
I would be happy to know that my Lexus with this equipment cost xxx no matter at which dealership I would buy rather than running all over the country to find a "good" deal and then let the dealership drop
Old 08-07-15, 06:53 AM
starbai
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meh... well guess I'll be jumping ship once my lease is up.

I dont like the haggling process any better than anyone else, but thats what it takes to get a good deal. Taking the haggling process out doesn't mean you get a good deal, it means ur screwed before you even begin. I can see it working for some people but this guy isn't one of em'.
Old 08-07-15, 08:38 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is a way to sell at MSRB without any effort from the dealer in offering better price. They do it in my country which makes finding the car cheaper than MSRB much harder, as you have to buy it from distributors of the dealers and from dealers of the neighboring countries.
Old 08-07-15, 08:45 AM
FrOHiKE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Gunn family of dealerships in San Antonio have done this for over a decade and they've been very successful. They have a range of makes including Acura, Infiniti, Nissan, etc.
Old 08-07-15, 08:53 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL
Meh... well guess I'll be jumping ship once my lease is up.
Just because they're testing out a new pricing model in 12 dealerships?

Originally Posted by FrOHiKE
The Gunn family of dealerships in San Antonio have done this for over a decade and they've been very successful. They have a range of makes including Acura, Infiniti, Nissan, etc.
I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. As I posted in the bigger thread about this in Car Chat, I ended up quite liking it back in 2001 when I bought my Saturn, and again in 2006 when I bought my Scion. While you can't negotiate the sale price, there are still rebates and sales, and you can negotiate great trade in values. In both of those purchases, I was able to get FAR more for my trades (well over blue book) than I could get at dealerships with traditional price modeling.
Old 08-07-15, 09:36 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As I understand it, though, there's a difference between fixing prices (which is collusion among manufacturers) and a manufacturer/dealer simply selling vehicles at list, like Saturn did for years, and Scion still does.
Right--price fixing is when multiple companies all get together and agree that something will be sold at a certain price. If all of the DEALERS got together, and agreed on a certain sale price, that would be price fixing. But the manufacturer setting prices for its distribution chain isn't price fixing.

I shopped for a Highlander a few years ago, and called a dealer about an hour from me who told me they had moved to a no-haggle pricing model. Their "no-haggle" price was the highest quote I had--and that was without back-and-forth; I'm talking each dealer's initial price quote (and I spoke to 10 or 12 dealers). Maybe there just weren't very many dealers near them in Easton, PA. Who knows if it worked out for them.
Old 08-07-15, 09:57 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

So if there's no haggling involved, then there's no need for the salesman/woman/person to "see what my manager will say", right???

Not every lexus dealer will be participating, so the other dealers will have a chance to beat the "no haggle" dealer.

ALL the lexus dealers have to be on board, otherwise this is a fail already (like tex2670 mentioned above).

Last edited by GS3Tek; 08-07-15 at 10:01 AM. Reason: including tex2670 response

Quick Reply: Interesting...Toyota's Lexus Testing Haggle-Free Sales at 12 U.S. Stores