Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

fill coolen from cap

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-15, 04:13 PM
carguy88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fill coolen from cap

My car recently overheated, then I found out there's no coolen anymore, not even a bit, so I decided to fill the coolen from the 1.1 pressure cap while the engin cooled down ,but my mechanics told me never fill the coolen from the cap, so is it okay to fill coolen from the cap? Will it cause any problem?
Old 05-27-15, 04:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL.

A couple of things. First of all, there is no such thing as "coolen". The correct terms are "coolant" or "anti-freeze". Second, I'm not sure what you mean by filling the coolant from the pressure cap. I have not heard of that practice. Third, as far as the cap itself goes, never, and I repeat....NEVER attempt to unscrew it when the engine is hot or overheated. Allow it to cool at least to the point where it is warm but not hot to the touch....and then, unscrew it very slowly and carefully.

I'd suggest posting this question in our maintenance forum.....perhaps there they can give you some more information.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/maintenance-11/
Old 05-27-15, 04:54 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If there's zero "coolen," you likely have larger issues than whether it's safe to fill the radiator or not, your engine block could be damaged.

Also, you are an adult on an adult-oriented forum. I'm quite sure you're capable of writing like a normal human being, rather than writing like you're on Twitter. There is no 140 character limit here. All members of the forum would greatly appreciate it.
Old 05-27-15, 05:11 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Generally you would fill your coolant from the overflow tank, which should be a semi-transparent jug somewhere in the engine bay. It'll typically have markings on it that say HOT and COLD.

On my old Firebird, I think I just did my filling directly into the radiator though, where the pressure cap was. Granted, I was 16 and that car was something of a POS. It had typical GM overheating issues anyway.
Old 05-27-15, 05:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Generally you would fill your coolant from the overflow tank, which should be a semi-transparent jug somewhere in the engine bay. It'll typically have markings on it that say HOT and COLD.

On my old Firebird, I think I just did my filling directly into the radiator though, where the pressure cap was. Granted, I was 16 and that car was something of a POS. It had typical GM overheating issues anyway.
...and you also, I'm sure, knew better than to unscrew the cap when the engine was hot. That can lead to some quite severe scalds and burns.

Did you have a 5.7L Formula or Trans-Am Firebird? That's a pretty good-sized engine, of course, and makes a fair amount of heat, even when the cooling system is working properly and not leaking.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-27-15 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-28-15, 08:25 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're just topping off your coolant, than filling from the reservoir bottle is fine. If you have nothing left, meaning all of your coolant is gone, even from the radiator, then yes filling it from the pressure cap, usually located right on the radiator is ideal, much easier and much quicker. That being said, if you find you have nothing left in your engine and you haven't purposefully drained it yourself, you likely have much bigger engine problems...
Old 05-28-15, 01:39 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

and a new word is born. Coolen.

English sure is an evolving language.