Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche calls for an end to the horsepower wars

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-15, 03:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Maybe it's VAG that feels Porsche shouldn't cross that line. Whatever the reason is, making a car with that massive horse then come to announce that they will not make a high hp car more than they are currently making is so contradicting themselves.
Perhaps so. I won't question your view on that. But, at the same time, I don't want to point fingers or blame here.......if the industry is going to bring some sanity into today's power levels, somebody has to start it, somewhere...even if, like Porsche, it is right after they have introduced the second-most powerful car on the road. In fact, when the latest CAFE standards kick in shortly, and, later, when we have self-driving cars that do the acceleration for us, we're probably going to see a lot of power levels go down. Few people then, outside of hard-core auto enthusiasts, will care (or even remember) what the last mega-HP factory vehicle was...it probably won't matter. Of course, engineers these days keep coming up with new ways of developing power plants all the time, and perhaps we will see big power levels again, even without gasoline.

And another question, of course (and I won't try and predict this one, because I simply don't know at this point) is if mega-HP cars like the Bugatti and 900 HP Porsche will get waivers from the CAFE rules, simply from low-volume. If so, of course, they won't be dead...but just carry on in few numbers.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-18-15 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-18-15, 03:46 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Maybe it's VAG that feels Porsche shouldn't cross that line. Whatever the reason is, making a car with that massive horse then come to announce that they will not make a high hp car more than they are currently making is so contradicting themselves.
"Power is nothing without control"

Pirelli
Old 05-18-15, 04:10 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
"Power is nothing without control"

Pirelli
I don't disagree with this statement. I personally prefer a balance between hp and handling. I just find it's funny Porsche make that call after they release their hypercar.
Old 05-20-15, 12:23 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't disagree with this statement. I personally prefer a balance between hp and handling. I just find it's funny Porsche make that call after they release their hypercar.
Max CAFE restrictions start in 2017, Porsche just announced 4 cyl Boxsters for 2017.
Old 05-20-15, 12:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default U.S. Boxster, Cayman to get 4-cylinders in '16

^^ Clever of Porsche, call for an end of horsepower wars and then announce the 4-bangers

Porsche will begin selling four-cylinder versions of its Boxster and Cayman sports cars in the U.S. in mid-2016, CEO Matthias Mueller said. Porsche last sold four-cylinder engines in this market 20 years ago.

Mueller acknowledged that Porsche could consider four-cylinder engines in the U.S. for other nameplates.

"First of all, we will have it in the Boxster and Cayman successor," Mueller told Automotive News. "And then we will see how it works and how successful it is and how the customers will react on that, and then we will take the next decisions."

Executives confirmed last year that a new flat-four boxer engine was planned for the freshened Boxster and Cayman, but they didn't say which markets would get it. A flat-four engine has pistons that are horizontally opposed, instead of in line or in a V.

The engine is expected to be turbocharged, and although Porsche has not confirmed details, displacement could come in 2.0-liter and 2.5-liter versions. It would lower vehicle weight and improve fuel efficiency and handling. According to a German report, Mueller has suggested that the new engine could produce "up to 395 horsepower."

The Boxster and Cayman won't be Porsche's only four-cylinder vehicles. It sells a four-cylinder version of its new Macan crossover in China and the U.K. Until now, Porsche executives have said the four-cylinder Macan isn't slated for the U.S. But Mueller said Porsche hasn't decided about that.

Porsche sold vehicles powered by flat-four engines from 1948 through 1976. It sold inline four-cylinder engines from 1976 through 1995. Porsche's last nameplate sold in the U.S. with a four-cylinder engine was the 968 in 1995.
Old 05-20-15, 01:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
^^ Clever of Porsche, call for an end of horsepower wars and then announce the 4-bangers
I don't think that it is all marketing-related, or just a desire for one-upmanship (or one-downmanship?) . At least some of it seems just from sheer sanity, and a growing concern among manufacturers about the ability of ordinary drivers to handle that kind of power even in non-track conditions. As Byprodrive said above, power is nothing without control.
Old 05-20-15, 03:13 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

they wouldnt be doing this if it werent for CAFE
Old 05-20-15, 03:22 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't think that it is all marketing-related, or just a desire for one-upmanship (or one-downmanship?) . At least some of it seems just from sheer sanity, and a growing concern among manufacturers about the ability of ordinary drivers to handle that kind of power even in non-track conditions. As Byprodrive said above, power is nothing without control.
Taking things too seriously is not good for your health
Old 05-20-15, 04:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
they wouldnt be doing this if it werent for CAFE

CAFE is probably an issue, but not as much as many would think. Back in the 1970s, with the last big reversal in the HP war, auto manufacturers had little choice but to downsize engines and power ratings to meet emissions and CAFE rules. But today's conditions are quite different from those. Back then, engineers did not have the advanced methods they do today to get more and more power and fewer and fewer emissions out of engines with less displacement. Today, unbelievable amounts of power can be wrung out out of sixes and even fours. The main issue, today, is not so much the CAFE rules (though they are indeed a factor), but simply the fact that high-performance vehicles today are just getting an unrealistic amount of power.
Old 05-20-15, 05:22 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I totally agree that car brands need to stop this HP war. They should all focus on handling performance g-force war with lighter weight, better suspension, better feedback and more dynamic fun to drive factors.

On the street, there is really no need for any car above 200 HP. You cannot safely and legally drive a 200 HP car to its limit without breaking the law.

While on the track, I don't see many super car owners bringing their cars on the track. Most of the super cars or crazy high HP cars usually sit in the nice garage all day long everyday except weekends lol. I feel like super cars are being wasted. They should be driven to its limit on the track for what it is made for. Nowadays, I only see super cars being driven slowly on the street to show off their wealth only.
Old 05-20-15, 05:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I totally agree that car brands need to stop this HP war. They should all focus on handling performance g-force war with lighter weight, better suspension, better feedback and more dynamic fun to drive factors.
True, but even then, one should not get carried away. Better handling is good up to a point, but, in general, lighter weight, stiffer underpinnings, and more aggressive tires usually mean a decrease in ride comfort.....which is a major issue with a lot of people nationwide, even if not on this particular forum, which tends to have a lot of handling enthusiasts. Weight, in a vehicle, unless it is too tail-heavy, can also contribute to better tracking-stability, ride comfort, and crash-protection.

On the street, there is really no need for any car above 200 HP. You cannot safely and legally drive a 200 HP car to its limit without breaking the law.
Depends on weight, gearing, payload, and a number of other factors. For most small-to-mid-size cars, I'd agree. But a Chevy Suburban or Lincoln Navigator L with 200 HP probably couldn't get out of its own way.

While on the track, I don't see many super car owners bringing their cars on the track. Most of the super cars or crazy high HP cars usually sit in the nice garage all day long everyday except weekends lol. I feel like super cars are being wasted. They should be driven to its limit on the track for what it is made for. Nowadays, I only see super cars being driven slowly on the street to show off their wealth only.
Probably gets back to simple money issues. Many insurance companies won't cover track use....and track and drag-strip owners often charge hefty fees for the use of their facilities say, for Friday and Saturday night drag-racing or motorcrossing. Last, of course, the wise driver will invest in protective gear and other equipment for track use........indeed, some track owners require it for liability reasons.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-20-15 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-20-15, 08:02 PM
Hoovey689

Higher cost is commonly associated with lighter weight. Since this is Porsche, guess I better save my pennies so I can pay them to take out the radio
Old 05-20-15, 08:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Sounds likes they've done all they can for the flat 6
YUP !!
Old 05-21-15, 09:51 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True, but even then, one should not get carried away. Better handling is good up to a point, but, in general, lighter weight, stiffer underpinnings, and more aggressive tires usually mean a decrease in ride comfort.....which is a major issue with a lot of people nationwide, even if not on this particular forum, which tends to have a lot of handling enthusiasts. Weight, in a vehicle, unless it is too tail-heavy, can also contribute to better tracking-stability, ride comfort, and crash-protection.

Depends on weight, gearing, payload, and a number of other factors. For most small-to-mid-size cars, I'd agree. But a Chevy Suburban or Lincoln Navigator L with 200 HP probably couldn't get out of its own way.

Probably gets back to simple money issues. Many insurance companies won't cover track use....and track and drag-strip owners often charge hefty fees for the use of their facilities say, for Friday and Saturday night drag-racing or motorcrossing. Last, of course, the wise driver will invest in protective gear and other equipment for track use........indeed, some track owners require it for liability reasons.
You have made a lot of good points. However, you misunderstood the intended audience I was referring to. I don't mean for all the general public. I meant car brands should focus on handling performance rather than HP war for the car enthusiasts who are into high performance cars, not the soccer mom or soccer dad out there who use cars to drive from A to B. I'm referring to the group who love cars that are fun to drive.

The 2nd point, same thing, I'm talking about most small to mid size sedans or coupe, not giant SUV lol so 200 HP is plenty to be driven to the limit.

3rd point, if the guy can afford a super car, he can also afford bringing it to the track. Also, for beginners, they almost always have instructors showing them how to drive on the track so they would not be recklessly crash their car. I do bring my Lexus to the track every now and then. If I were to own a super car, I would do the same too because those high performance cars are made to be driven hard. I'm disappointed that many high performance cars are sitting in garage collecting dust.
Old 05-26-15, 05:16 PM
adpock
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Page News!

Interesting indeed. Here's my front page take on it...
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/p...power-already/

Quick Reply: Porsche calls for an end to the horsepower wars