Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Please help give modding ideas and inspiration for my 2000 Impreza L Coupe?

Old 03-12-15, 02:08 PM
Gen3Camry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help give modding ideas and inspiration for my 2000 Impreza L Coupe?

Hi all

Can you guys post some pictures or ideas for doing a money-no issue mod on Gen 1-1.5 Impreza Coupes?

I knew for quite a while that my Mom's 2000 Subaru Impreza L trim 2.0L boxer coupe was being passed down to me as a reward for graduating with my mechanical engineering degree, which is expected to be may 2016 on my current 5 year program. She agreed that I would be able to keep my 1992 Camry LE and also take possesion of the Subie. I simply can't let go of the Toyota.

The Subaru, being a low trim and an Impreza, seems fairly basic and economical. Its interior is made mostly with hard plastic shells compared to upholstered foam in my camry. It also does not feature power mode, shift lock override, cruise control, or overdrive like my Toyota.

Additionally, my Mom does not like cars or driving. She rarely drives the car. It sat so long it developed problems from sitting such as really old engine oil. So she said she regards me as 50% owner of the car currently until graduation, and she wants me to drive it regularly to keep it in good working order.

My plan is, with a good income coming in after I get my first real career, to keep the Toyota fairly stock, maybe with the exception of Depo headlights, nice wheels, and maybe a front lip and alittle paint work. This will be my car for long distance, comfortable, smooth and luxurious. Basically, for commuting and trips.

Although I think the Toyota has a much sleeker, better looking body, the gen 1.5 Impreza Coupe certainly seems to have so much more potential for enjoyable modding into a "fun weekend car". The modding market for Impreza Coupes is massive compared to miniscule for the Toyota.

I live in Fort Collins, Colorado, where there is a massive culture of Subaru WRX enthusiasts and tuners. There are clubs with like 1500 members. Two friends in engineering school are very well versed in cars, one being a dealer porter for many years. They both drive WRX's built by an in-town start up of Subaru modding called "Funk-E-Built". There is also "The Boost-Creep".

It seems as though I have been incredibly fortunate with the offer of a free Gen 1.5 Coupe. My friend said the Gen 1 Coupe body is in incredible demand and lust by enthusiasts, and its becoming a cult classic and very desired.

Unfortunately, its an L automatic. My other friend states Funk E Built can convert it to a 2.5 RS, for a few grand. I can also probably do the basic stuff myself. All this has to wait until I take full ownership.

Here is the car as is:

Also, this gives me some ideas for my Camry:

What makes me very excited about the Impreza is that, initially, I didn't know the difference between the 2.5 RS and the Japanese Only 2.2B. I thought the bodies were the same. So I thought all 2.5 RS's had the wider fenders. However, I actually observed in town that all 2.5 RS coupes have the flater less flared fenders exactly like the L coupe. Additionally, only the front bumper and hood seems different.

Can anyone confirm this 100%? Because this would make me ecstatic, knowing I can make it look just like a 2.5 RS and possibly have Funk E Built swap an RS motor.

I can hardly contain my excitement LOL!

Last edited by Gen3Camry; 03-12-15 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-12-15, 02:13 PM
Gen3Camry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also thought I would share the huge Subaru car culture in the northern Colorado Front Range if anyone wants to check it out:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Funk-...68814983300063

https://www.facebook.com/NOCOSOC

https://www.facebook.com/TheBoostCreepLtd

Old 03-12-15, 02:15 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Gen3Camry
However, I actually observed in town that all 2.5 RS coupes have the flater less flared fenders exactly like the L coupe. Additionally, only the front bumper and hood seems different.

Can anyone confirm this 100%? Because this would make me ecstatic, knowing I can make it look just like a 2.5 RS and possibly have Funk E Built swap an RS motor.[/B]
Yes you are 100% correct, L and 2.5 RS have the same fenders.

Money-no issue? Build a 22B replica with full 2.5L STi motor and 6-speeds swap, I almost did it, that is my dream Subie to have in the U.S.