Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Toyota Avalon to get revised suspensions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-15, 05:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2016 Toyota Avalon to get revised suspensions.

When I test-drove the latest Avalon (once very briefly, at the D.C. Auto Show 's test-circuit, and, a much longer one, on the actual review), I noticed a distinctly stiffer, less-comfortable ride, especially over bumpy city roads, than in the past. Although the Avalon's powertrain remained silky and refined, just like always (one of the best drivetrains in its class), the less-compliant on the latest-generation seemed out of place in this car, as comfort is always been the Avalon's forte, and one of its main selling points. Consumer Reports noticed it, too....they embarked about it.

Toyota officials, in (apparent) response to customer complaints, is addressing the issue on the upcoming 2016 Avalon, just shown at the Chicago Auto Show. The new, mid-cycle, refreshed Avalon will have a somewhat softer suspension, for the traditionalists, on all but the Touring model. The Touring model goes the opposite way and actually firms up a little more, for those who want a sporting experience. Sounds good to me.....IMO, this is what they should have done in the first place.....offer a choice. Also IMO, the Lexus ES350 (which is done on much the same platform as the Avalon) could also benefit from those changes, but to a lesser extent, as its ride, though stiffer than in the past, is still a little smoother now than the Avalon's.

We had one or two previous threads on the 2016 Avalon, but they didn't seem to cover this subject.

http://www.netcarshow.com/toyota/2016-avalon/

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/aut...icle-1.2112405

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/toyota/...-ar167551.html

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-02-15 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-02-15, 06:16 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I sat in the updated Avalon at the Chicago Auto Show. Not bad at all, although personally I'm not crazy about the Avalon, and to a lesser extent, Camry grills. They just seem out of place on the cars.
Old 03-02-15, 06:29 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Glad they softened it up. It's a cushy cruiser (as it should be).
Old 03-02-15, 07:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I sat in the updated Avalon at the Chicago Auto Show. Not bad at all, although personally I'm not crazy about the Avalon, and to a lesser extent, Camry grills. They just seem out of place on the cars.

Agree with you on the grilles, but Toyota and Lexus seem committed to the spindle-effect for the time being.
Old 03-02-15, 07:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
It doesn't need to be as soft as a 20-year-old Buick LeSabre, which wallowed all over the road, but Avalons, as you note, are supposed to be comfort-oriented first and foremost. And, besides, they still left the firmer underpinnings on the Touring model (even more so) for those who want better response.
Old 03-02-15, 07:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
My dad noticed the firm ride on the Avalon when we went test driving for his new ES purchase. It wasn't horrible or terrible, but it didn't feel like a $40k car. The ES350 was just the right balance between firm and soft.
Old 03-02-15, 09:13 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

During the past two years I've rented three different base model Avalon XLE's and hated all three because of the econocar like stiff suspension and hard seat. It was like driving a Yaris with a nicely furnished interior! The ES350, especially the 2015 model, is very noticably smoother riding than the Avalon, its seats are cushier and both engine and road noise are more subdued. The ES350 is also outselling the Avalon so Toyota likely lost sales by giving the Avalon a stiff ride.

Another model Toyota likely loss sales on due to a stiff, noisy ride and hard plastic interior is the Venza. Word is out that the Venza is being permanently discontinued in June 2015 due to slow sales and because potential buyers prefer the redesigned Rav4 and Highlander http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/02/t...eled/#image-10
Old 03-02-15, 09:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gemigniani
Another model Toyota likely loss sales on due to a stiff, noisy ride and hard plastic interior is the Venza. Word is out that the Venza is being permanently discontinued in June 2015 due to slow sales and because potential buyers prefer the redesigned Rav4 and Highlander http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/02/t...eled/#image-10
The Venza's 19" and 20" wheels and relatively low-profile tires, not necessarily the suspension, are primarily what causes that stiff ride. That could have easily prevented (as I said in my own Venza review a few years ago) by simply using smaller wheels and less-aggressive tires. But, instead of doing that, Toyota just axes the car? ...........Go Figure

ES350 is also outselling the Avalon so Toyota likely lost sales by giving the Avalon a stiff ride.
As long as I can remember, the ES has always outsold the Avalon, at least in the American market. But, you are correct that the new firm underpinnings don't help with the Avalon traditionalists.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-02-15 at 09:24 PM.