Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Man Fixes 2010 Camry Hybrid Battery Pack Himself for $10; Toyota Wanted $4,456!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-15, 06:08 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Man Fixes 2010 Camry Hybrid Battery Pack Himself for $10; Toyota Wanted $4,456!

Buying a second hand hybrid seems like a risky thing to do, with all those batteries just waiting to go bad… This is the story of imgur user scoodidabop who recently purchased a Toyota Camry Hybrid, without warranty.

Around two weeks after he acquired it, he was heading home one day when his dashboard started flashing all kinds of lights at him. At first he thought it could be a malfunctioning brake actuator, although the fact that the “Check Hybrid System” light was on along with the “Check Engine” light did foretell the problem.

Turns out it was the battery pack that was faulty, and the Toyota garage where he took the car for verification wanted $4,456 to replace the entire unit. A hugely steep price equating to roughly half of what had been paid for the 2010-ish MY Camry Hybrid.

There was nothing really wrong with the pack itself, as scoodidabop discovered when he began taking it apart (he says he’s a seasoned electrician with experience in hybrid batteries, recommends you don’t try this unless you know what you’re doing and take required precautions).

All that needed doing freshened up copper connectors, as they were heavily corroded. None of the cells had any problems, all showed normal voltage when tested.

So, basically, scoodidabop saved a heap of cash and just cleaned off the surface oxidation by soaking the connectors in vinegar for 34 hours, then scrubbing them down, then placing them in water and baking soda.

He put all of it back together and now his car reportedly runs just fine – what a waste it would have been on Toyota’s side to replace the entire thing for something that could be fixed as easily as that. Perhaps hybrids should get even more specialized treatment at dealers, as they clearly require it, especially since the prospect of disposing of dead batteries will seriously unnerve your inner eco-warrior.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/02/man...tery-pack.html

Old 02-19-15, 06:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Old 02-19-15, 06:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

So........a Toyota shop wanted almost $4500 to replace the hybrid battery.

I wonder how many miles were on this 2010 Camry. All Toyota Hybrid drivetrain parts (including the battery pack) by Federal Law, have an 8/100 warranty.....and, in some states, have an even longer warranty than that.

It's nice that, as a hybrid-experienced electrician, he could diagnose the problem and narrow it down to a couple of simple copper pieces. Unfortunately, much of the rest of John Q. Public doesn't have that option....they might (?) have been s***ers for an unscrupulous dealership (if that car was not past the 100K warranty) looking for an easy take.

BTW, copper is in high demand right now, and worth some money. Even those old used and somewhat corroded connectors, cleaned up, might be worth something. The shop might (?) have known that, and, after pulling out the battery pack, might have planned to sell them off, along some other potentially valuable parts from the hybrid system. There are Federal laws addressing the recycling of used and worn hybrid drivetrain parts, but an unscrupulous shop is likely to ignore them.

I'm not saying this particular dealership WAS crooked (we don't know all the facts in this case).........but a couple of things might suggest that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-19-15 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-19-15, 06:34 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

many people don't know any better, so they pay whatever the dealer wants.
so many people getting ripped off by dealers everyday because they didn't bother to get a second opinion
Old 02-19-15, 06:43 PM
user 629202
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Corrosion is an issue in any vehicle in a climate as humid as Houston, Texas. Perhaps Toyota will issue a TSB to inspect the battery terminal connections before pronouncing a battery DOA.
Old 02-19-15, 06:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

dealers dont really check batteries, but there are plenty of shops that you can take your car for diagnosis... just like what this guy does.
Old 02-19-15, 07:12 PM
Ultramiler
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if things have changed, but you used to have to be hybrid certified to work on Lexus hybrids, they would rope off the whole bay and if you were dealing with any battery or wiring of the hybrid system you had to wear thick rubber gloves and check for pin hole leaks in the gloves before working on it.... because these batteries can kill you... they are not like a normal car battery. Good for this guy that he is still alive and saved 4K, but I don't suggest everyone go out and take apart their hybrid batteries
Old 02-19-15, 07:26 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

I wonder how many miles were on this 2010 Camry. All Toyota Hybrid drivetrain parts (including the battery pack) by Federal Law, have an 8/100 warranty.....and, in some states, have an even longer warranty than that.

It's nice that, as a hybrid-experienced electrician, he could diagnose the problem and narrow it down to a couple of simple copper pieces. Unfortunately, much of the rest of John Q. Public doesn't have that option....they might (?) have been s***ers for an unscrupulous dealership (if that car was not past the 100K warranty) looking for an easy take.

BTW, copper is in high demand right now, and worth some money. Even those old used and somewhat corroded connectors, cleaned up, might be worth something. The shop might (?) have known that, and, after pulling out the battery pack, might have planned to sell them off, along some other potentially valuable parts from the hybrid system. There are Federal laws addressing the recycling of used and worn hybrid drivetrain parts, but an unscrupulous shop is likely to ignore them.

I'm not saying this particular dealership WAS crooked (we don't know all the facts in this case).........but a couple of things might suggest that.
Man Fixes 2010 Camry Hybrid Battery Pack Himself for ; Toyota Wanted ,456!-vqw3cvo.jpg

Link with more info.

http://imgur.com/gallery/j8Bcp
Old 02-20-15, 12:38 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

So he was over the warranty. Previous owner drove roughly 25k miles per year. Too bad the Toyota dealer couldn't take the time to find out the root of the cause.
I've said time and time again, there needs to be laws created to force car-makers to better diagnose engine problems for the consumer. If there is a problem with a sensor or connection, such light needs to light up and state exactly which and where. Why in 2015, can the consumer not know a fault of his own car? Oh... because all dealerships would go out of business. But on the otherhand, said dealer would sell a ton more cars if the consumer was buying a product he knew would not cost him as much money to fix later on.
Old 02-20-15, 04:00 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
there needs to be laws created to force
Yay more laws.
Old 02-20-15, 04:40 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I honestly do not see the dealer being the bad guy here. The techs are there to replace parts, not dissect them as if they were electricians.
Old 02-20-15, 05:20 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

dealers are only trained to replace parts not dissect everything to find the real cause
Old 02-20-15, 07:45 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
dealers are only trained to replace parts not dissect everything to find the real cause
I agree. It's unfortunate.
Old 02-20-15, 07:58 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Wow pulling a hybrid battery just to pull copper connectors and sell them? Paranoid/distrustful much?

The $10 is a bit misleading as it seems like it did take him a good amount of time as well, so there are labor costs there. But I guess there's less shock value in that article title.

As others have noted, dealers are primarily there to pull and replace parts.

Last edited by pbm317; 02-20-15 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-20-15, 08:39 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

same thing with my moms LX470 door lock that stopped working. Dealer wanted $500+ to fix it but I find out that a $5 DC motor replacement will fix it, which it did. The subwoofer surround rotted out also, $300 part from the dealer. I bought a $20 speaker repair kit instead.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 02-20-15 at 08:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Man Fixes 2010 Camry Hybrid Battery Pack Himself for $10; Toyota Wanted $4,456!