Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

And when this happens with cars (Autonomous Car)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-15, 08:28 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts
Default And when this happens with cars (Autonomous Car)

there should still be special drivers licenses where people have to prove they can drive as good or better than a robot can.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_car
Old 02-13-15, 06:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

IMO, unless traffic is really dense and a PITA to tackle (which it often is in this area), driving is usually too much fun to be left to robots....especially if you are in a car you really like.

Among other things, three things in this world that I'm glad I got were my Virginia Drivers' License, my U.S. Government Drivers' License (when I worked for the FAA), and my Pilot (Airman's) License. I enjoyed both the driver's seat and the cockpit.....but, at least, in a car, you usually can't get airsick or dizzy from bouncing around.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-13-15 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-13-15, 06:59 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
there should still be special drivers licenses where people have to prove they can drive as good or better than a robot can.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_car

If you are that paranoid about electronics and hackable software in cars, why are you advocating self-driving cars. They will be the top target of hackers who want to play havoc with engine, steering, brake controls, etc.
Old 02-13-15, 09:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
i agree except there will be ZERO chance a person (even a race car driver or driving instructor) can prove they drive as good or better than an autonomous car except perhaps in extreme conditions (racing, complex evasive maneuvers). autonomous cars will be MUCH safe than human drivers and humans will pay big time for insurance if they want to drive as the human driver population dwindles in the future.
Old 02-13-15, 09:42 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driving is such a freedom, I would like to keep it that way.
Old 02-13-15, 09:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

autonomous cars will be MUCH safe than human drivers and humans will pay big time for insurance if they want to drive as the human driver population dwindles in the future.
..................until John Q. Hacker figures out a way to take over the steering, engine computer, and brakes. Then we're screwed.

Old 02-13-15, 01:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
..................until John Q. Hacker figures out a way to take over the steering, engine computer, and brakes. Then we're screwed.
just like people stopped buying things online and online banking after NUMEROUS WELL PUBLICIZED massive hacks, data breaches and theft. oh wait...
Old 02-13-15, 02:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
just like people stopped buying things online and online banking after NUMEROUS WELL PUBLICIZED massive hacks, data breaches and theft. oh wait...
Still didn't lessen the impact on those who did get hacked.

And it's not just me who is concerned about that. The engineers actually working on these self-driving cars are just as concerned themselves. Hopefully, they will be able develop hacker-resistant systems....but, we'll see.

PBS's News Hour, BTW, ran a good piece on this subject a few nights ago....on even the exposure of today's computerized autos (much less those of tomorrow) to hackers.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-13-15 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-13-15, 02:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by J.P.
Driving is such a freedom, I would like to keep it that way.
Agreed, J.P.

I find few things in life (at least in the secular) as peaceful and refreshing as Virginia's Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway in a car you really like....IMO, the most scenic long-length drive east of the Mississippi.

Old 02-13-15, 03:07 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Agreed, J.P.

I find few things in life (at least in the secular) as peaceful and refreshing as Virginia's Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway in a car you really like....IMO, the most scenic long-length drive east of the Mississippi.

Oh come now, you think people should be spied on for their own safety but suddenly an autonomous cars debate sparks a thought of freedom inside you?
Old 02-13-15, 03:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by G Star
Oh come now,
There's no "Oh come now" about it. What I said was perfectly legitimate.

you think people should be spied on for their own safety but suddenly an autonomous cars debate sparks a thought of freedom inside you?
The fact, (not opinion) is that I don't drive anywhere that I have to be ashamed of, or that I have to try and hide. As long as I can drive my own car, I'm content. I can sleep just fine at night, thank-you, even if Big Brother is occasionally watching. I enjoy driving (except in gridlock traffic) and will continue to do so. In fact, the On-Star in my Verano does a little tracking on its own.....a device that is in all new American-market GM cars.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-13-15 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-13-15, 06:20 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

There's no "Oh come now" about it. What I said was perfectly legitimate.

The fact, (not opinion) is that I don't drive anywhere that I have to be ashamed of, or that I have to try and hide. As long as I can drive my own car, I'm content. I can sleep just fine at night, thank-you, even if Big Brother is occasionally watching. I enjoy driving (except in gridlock traffic) and will continue to do so. In fact, the On-Star in my Verano does a little tracking on its own.....a device that is in all new American-market GM cars.
Let's backtrack, you think Americans should be spied on because it is for their own safety even though an overwhelming majority of Americans want and demand privacy. This is not a secret, you are very vocal about this. Now you say you don't want autonomous cars, or at least wouldn't want the government being involved in forcing everybody to use autonomous cars because it may take away your "freedom" to drive your own cars. One looking at your history of reasoning (or lack thereof) can assume that; Autonomous cars make us safer, therefore government has the privilege, right and/or moral obligation force autonomous cars on us to protect us from ourselves .

Last edited by G Star; 02-13-15 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-13-15, 06:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by G Star
Let's backtrack, you think Americans should be spied on because it is for their own safety even though an overwhelming majority of Americans want and demand privacy. This is not a secret, you are very vocal about this. Now you say you don't want autonomous cars, or at least wouldn't want the government being involved in forcing everybody to use autonomous cars because it may take away your "freedom" to drive your own cars. One looking at your history of reasoning (or lack thereof) can assume that; Autonomous cars make us safer, therefore government has the privilege, right and/or moral obligation force autonomous cars on us to protect us from ourselves .
This thread is about autonomous cars vs. driving freedom, not spying. I've already said what have to say on that subject. If you want to make it an issue of government-spying (another whole area), I don't think this is the forum to do it in. I'll discuss it with you either in the Debate forum or in PM.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-13-15 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-13-15, 07:26 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

I am not for it. Though there are some stupid drivers that need it. It will be forced upon us all when the time comes.
Old 02-13-15, 07:36 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sulu
If you are that paranoid about electronics and hackable software in cars, why are you advocating self-driving cars. They will be the top target of hackers who want to play havoc with engine, steering, brake controls, etc.

And where am I advocating anything?
I'm just saying people should have to know how to drive, that is at speed and cornering and ice and rain etc. its all poky dumb_______s in this area I live. They slow down a mile or 2 before exiting an off ramp, accelerate to 35 to 40 on an on ramp and merge into 60 mph moving traffic. And then camp out in the left passing lane at 55 or less. So people like that need something or someone else doing the driving for them. I am not for the electronics operating any thing the driver has hands or feet on and controls a car or truck with or an aircraft.

Quick Reply: And when this happens with cars (Autonomous Car)