Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Matrix starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-15, 10:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default 2009 Matrix starting issue

Hi everyone, you have all been so helpful in the past. Hoping you can all help me here.

My sister left her 09 Matrix loaded xrs at our place, she is out of town for the week. We have a metal cut key with no transponder, she thought this was a spare. We tried to start the car to move it to get our truck out and the car would not start. We could see dash lights and hear the starter trying to turn over but no start.

1. Is this the Toyota anti theft kicking?

2. Will her regular keys just start the car or do we have to reset something?

Thanks for the help. Hoping you can help me fast.
Old 02-08-15, 03:22 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Each new car sold in Canada since September 2007 has had to have an engine immobilizer anti-theft device. For Toyotas, it has meant a key with a large plastic head: the regular key has a black plastic head and the valet key (which will not open the glove compartment nor the trunk) has a grey plastic head. I have not seen any all-metal Toyota keys since that time.

I can only guess that your sister (or previous owner if it was bought as a used car) had a key copied outside of the dealership (Canadian Tire, for example), thinking that it could be used as a spare (spare keys must now be made and programmed at the dealership). Keys without the special electronic device embedded in the head of the key should not start the vehicle.

That may be what is happening with your sister's 2009 Matrix.
Old 02-08-15, 03:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

On most late-model vehicles with key/transponders, they will not start if the engine-computer doesn't recognize the transponder-code generated within a close vicinity (your pocket, purse, inside the car, glove box, etc....) As you noted, that is a safety and anti-theft device.

Check the Owner's Manual (if your sister left it with you) for specifics on starting and restarting with this type of key. But, in most cases, it should restart if the proper code is detected...but you'll probably need the right key. Can't say exactly for sure on that specific car, though, but it's possible that you may not be able to start the car if you don't have a transponder-key for it.

(Sulu is correct, BTW.....in most cases, a plain metal key is passé and won't work with most newer cars)

I don't want to see you have to spend money needlessly, but, in a worst-case scenario, a technician from a local Toyota dealer might (?) be able to bring a spare transponder-key, specifically made for your car's VIN, to your house, or a tow truck with dollies could move the car just enough so you could get the truck out, and then push it back. But those two options, of course, won't come free.

(The discontinued Pontiac Vibe, BTW, mechanically/electronically, is the same car as the Matrix, so, if there are any GM dealerships close by, there's an outside (?) chance they might be able to make a suitable key for a Matrix).

Good Luck.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-08-15 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-08-15, 04:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

We're all good. We found another key she left with some of her personal bags. We got it going and moved the car. Thanka again to all.