Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Would you use a QX56/QX80 to tow an enclosed trailer occasionally?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-15, 01:11 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Would you use a QX56/QX80 to tow an enclosed trailer occasionally?

With our ever growing family we are looking to get a 7-8 passenger car this year and do NOT want a minivan. I also occasionally need to tow a 20' enclosed trailer for work and do not want to get a diesel solely for that purpose either. So I'm looking for a jack of all trades powerhouse SUV

Been reading up on the QX line for quite some time and have been talking to my buddy who knows a bit about trucks. After doing some research the QX does have:

a) Auto load adjuster in the rear
b) Optional Trailer brake control

I know the QX is rated for 8500 lbs but is there any key items I need to upgrade or ensure the car has from the dealer as must have options such as a tranny cooler, better hitch, etc?

thanks!

P.S. Any owners here with a QX56 or past ownership experience? We currently have a ML / RX and neither will do the job so those will go away sooner or later.
Old 01-22-15, 01:34 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

I don't know about the QX, but the Toyota line has a bundled tow package that gets you the goodies like oil and transmission coolers, integrated trailer hitch, different axle ratio, big brakes, extending mirrors, etc.
Old 01-22-15, 01:51 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

^good point, I need to ask the dealer again!

I learned something new the other day, up till 2010, the Nissan Armada and QX shared the same chassis, 2011+ was completely a new model and now built in Japan.

Shopping for a 2012+ model so this was good news to me
Old 01-22-15, 03:46 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes, absolutely yes. It has a Class IV trailer hitch and will do just fine. No built-in brake controller though- that's only common on pickup trucks as an option anyways. I will note that this car as more vertically oriented mirrors that may hamper visibility. Also, I found this video on Youtube (he rambles a bit but makes some good points):

Old 01-22-15, 04:57 PM
jsl757
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No experience with the QX but I bought a new Land Cruiser a few months ago.

I needed a SUV that would tow my open Featherlite trailer and car plus make a good family car. I've racked up a few thousand miles towing (roughly 5k pounds) with no complaints - check one out, it might be a option to keep in mind.
Old 01-22-15, 05:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

How about a GL?
Old 01-22-15, 08:28 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

How often are you going to be towing this trailer? 10% or greater of the miles will be towed under full load with this trailer, I'd suggest you get a bigger vehicle than a QX56. Something like a 3/4 ton(2500) Suburban or Yukon, or a 3/4 ton truck(gas or diesel take your pick) with a camper top on the back.

Things you need to keep in mind besides that 8500lb tow weight are:

1. Aerodynamics of the trailer-box trailer= a ton more drag at highway speeds

2. Loaded weight of the vehicle. Are you and 5 other people with 500+lbs of luggage/gear going to be riding in the truck?

3. Terrain you will be towing in. Honestly I think you could get away with a light duty Tahoe, QX, Sequia type of rig if you don't encounter any hills. Going up the rockies, east Tennessee, etc, YOU WILL NEED A BIGGER TRUCK. Not just in terms of HP to get you up the hill, but mainly to get you down the hill safely. A heavier rig, with beefier suspension, bigger brakes, will keep you way more in control going down those steep grades. Plus everything on those 3/4 ton trucks is just made a lot better, more lugs on the wheels, beefier transimssions, way bigger radiators, transmission coolers, bigger axles, bigger brakes, beefier suspension.

That's my opinion, take it for what it is. I know gas mileage sucks on 3/4 trucks and Suburbans, and diesels trucks are pricey. If you are going to tow a lot, buy the right rig.
Old 01-22-15, 08:47 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

QX80 is based on the Y62 Nissan Patrol platform.
The Nissan Patrol is one of the most durable, reliable and capable vehicles...
Old 01-22-15, 11:03 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jsl757
No experience with the QX but I bought a new Land Cruiser a few months ago.

I needed a SUV that would tow my open Featherlite trailer and car plus make a good family car. I've racked up a few thousand miles towing (roughly 5k pounds) with no complaints - check one out, it might be a option to keep in mind.
The Land Cruiser / LX570 are nice trucks but too small - I want 3rd row seating for adults and a pass through from the 2nd row captains chairs.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
How about a GL?
Same as above, too small - I want the middle pass-through like a mini-van.

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
QX80 is based on the Y62 Nissan Patrol platform.
The Nissan Patrol is one of the most durable, reliable and capable vehicles...
Awesome - I have never heard of the Nissan Patrol but this is great news to hear and helps seal the deal with wifey.
Old 01-22-15, 11:09 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aron9000
How often are you going to be towing this trailer? 10% or greater of the miles will be towed under full load with this trailer, I'd suggest you get a bigger vehicle than a QX56. Something like a 3/4 ton(2500) Suburban or Yukon, or a 3/4 ton truck(gas or diesel take your pick) with a camper top on the back.

Things you need to keep in mind besides that 8500lb tow weight are:

1. Aerodynamics of the trailer-box trailer= a ton more drag at highway speeds

2. Loaded weight of the vehicle. Are you and 5 other people with 500+lbs of luggage/gear going to be riding in the truck?

3. Terrain you will be towing in. Honestly I think you could get away with a light duty Tahoe, QX, Sequia type of rig if you don't encounter any hills. Going up the rockies, east Tennessee, etc, YOU WILL NEED A BIGGER TRUCK. Not just in terms of HP to get you up the hill, but mainly to get you down the hill safely. A heavier rig, with beefier suspension, bigger brakes, will keep you way more in control going down those steep grades. Plus everything on those 3/4 ton trucks is just made a lot better, more lugs on the wheels, beefier transimssions, way bigger radiators, transmission coolers, bigger axles, bigger brakes, beefier suspension.

That's my opinion, take it for what it is. I know gas mileage sucks on 3/4 trucks and Suburbans, and diesels trucks are pricey. If you are going to tow a lot, buy the right rig.

thank you for your "real life" input on this vehicle! I truly appreciate it. I lived a couple of years near Duke in Durham and spent some time in the TN mountains so I know what you mean.

Over here the most towing I would do is from Norcal to Socal and that would mean going through the Grapevine which has some hills. The entire trip is roughly 400 miles each way. I have no plans to haul cars too often but just need to do it maybe once or twice per year.

We do have a Tundra extend cab V8 truck but want a more roomy luxurious SUV that can do the job and after reading about the Nissan Patrol as suggested by another, it looks like this QX might do the job for me.

Too bad here in the US we can't get this version:

Nissan has also introduced a limited-run Patrol Black Special Edition which will be offered in 200 units. These cars will come several enhancements such as red seats, chrome detailing and a black matte exterior paint scheme.
Old 01-22-15, 11:11 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by s4play
The Land Cruiser / LX570 are nice trucks but too small - I want 3rd row seating for adults and a pass through from the 2nd row captains chairs.
Oh. You're putting adults all the way back there? Only the GL/Surburban (not Tahoe)/Expedition/Navigator can truly fit adults in the 3rd row. The QX80 3rd row still isn't comfortable at all. Tahoe is by far the worst.

Last edited by TangoRed; 01-22-15 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-23-15, 08:12 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Oh. You're putting adults all the way back there? Only the GL/Surburban (not Tahoe)/Expedition/Navigator can truly fit adults in the 3rd row. The QX80 3rd row still isn't comfortable at all. Tahoe is by far the worst.
Sorry I should have been more clear on the purpose!

I need those 3rd row seats when my in-laws are visiting or just need to haul a few extra bodies around town. It's primarily for my wife and 2 kids just need extra space to move around inside. The QX 3rd row is not huge but it's by FAR the largest out of all the "normal" large SUV's out there and huge compared to the GL, Q7, MDX, LX570, etc. The ones you are listing are way too big for me and a total gas guzzler. I might as well buy a Mercedes Sprinter! j/k

So when I'm hauling my cars, it would be maybe 1-3 adults in the SUV including myself plus a kid or two. Nothing serious or heavy inside the truck.
Old 01-23-15, 08:29 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by s4play
Sorry I should have been more clear on the purpose!

I need those 3rd row seats when my in-laws are visiting or just need to haul a few extra bodies around town. It's primarily for my wife and 2 kids just need extra space to move around inside. The QX 3rd row is not huge but it's by FAR the largest out of all the "normal" large SUV's out there and huge compared to the GL, Q7, MDX, LX570, etc. The ones you are listing are way too big for me and a total gas guzzler. I might as well buy a Mercedes Sprinter! j/k

So when I'm hauling my cars, it would be maybe 1-3 adults in the SUV including myself plus a kid or two. Nothing serious or heavy inside the truck.
That makes more sense. Also you might want to check the specs: The Mercedes-Benz GL has significantly more 3rd row legroom than the QX80. Also, the Suburban, Navigator, and Expedition all get better fuel economy than the QX80 (2015 models).
Old 01-23-15, 08:36 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you have some crazy weight I do not see why towing with the QX would be an issue. I tow a trailer when I take the toys out plus the small boat, I would do it with the QX if i had one.

With that being said, A Yukon or Yukon XL is awesome for this type of stuff, great power, room for the people and gear if you need it.
Old 01-23-15, 10:47 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

My mom has a 2014 Infiniti QX80 with tech pkg that she got in October of 2013. They use it all of the time to pull a 22' camp trailer, and when they weren't pulling that, they were towing a 26' Eliminator boat. It's always done good. She's at 34,000 miles last I checked when I borrowed it a few weeks ago. It's definitely a workhorse. She loves it and so does my dad.

Quick Reply: Would you use a QX56/QX80 to tow an enclosed trailer occasionally?