Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW N63 "Customer Care Package": A Recall That BMW Refuses To Call A Recall

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-15, 09:07 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BMW N63 "Customer Care Package": A Recall That BMW Refuses To Call A Recall

With 2014 being officially known in the automotive world as the "year of the recalls," it is no wonder that certain carmakers are trying and steer away from being put in the same boat as those offering cars with Takata airbags. BMW is one of those brands, with the Bavarian automaker currently trying to pass a voluntary recall as a much fancier "customer care package." The recall involves just about every BMW with the N63 engine ever built, although probably not all cars will need to have the same amount of work done to them.

For those unfamiliar with BMW engine terminology, the N63 powerplant is the twin-turbocharged, 4.4-liter V-8 with 402 horsepower that saw use in every 5 Series, 6 Series, 7 Series, X5, and X6 model that have names ending with "50i" and were manufactured between 2008 and 2013. Having the service bulletin number B001314, the recall may take several days for each vehicle involved and could include replacement of the fuel injectors, mass airflow sensors, battery, crankcase vent lines, fuel pressure sensor, the engine’s vacuum pump and last, but certainly not least, replacement of the timing chain.

If all that didn’t sound like enough, all cars using this exact variant of the N63 engine will no longer be a part of the BMW long-life service intervals, instead requiring a service check every 12 months or 10,000 driven miles. Everything is not as grim as it sounds though, since it seems that affected BMW owners will receive a replacement car for the time that their vehicles are in the shop. Plus, the carmaker will also offer to buy-back the affected vehicle and offer a new one at a discounted price.
More info here: http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...6918.html#main

Bimmerfest thread here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=817273

Last edited by MPLexus301; 01-20-15 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-20-15, 09:35 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha, guess I traded in my old 7 too soon!

But yes, the old N63 engine has a lot of problems.
Old 01-20-15, 10:13 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

another thread:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1074012

the primary problem is their retarded oil change interval which was insane for a turbocharged engine. The oil was dead before you reached the interval. Hence the main fix is they are halving the oil change interval and increasing the official capacity by 1qt. The bad oil causes the crankcase ventilation system to clog up and blowby which fouls the injectors. Fouled injectors cause the engine to run towards lean which is dangerous for a turbo engine. When I first heard they were running turbo engines 15k, I had the feeling they would have some long term problems. I've done oil analysis on regular engines and synthetic only goes up to 10k before the TBN is shot. People already found this out when they sent their oil analysis from various BMWs in and blackstone was telling them to change it much earlier than BMW.

Do something silly like cheap out on oil change intervals (since BMW was paying for your oil change) and it causes a much more serious problem. The repairs required to fix this are substantial. All because some idiot somewhere wanted to skimp out on critical oil changes.

http://www.knowyourparts.com/technic...fuel-injector/

2. Turbo Troubles In turbocharged engines, dirty injectors can have a dangerous leaning effect that may lead to engine-damaging detonation. When the engine is under boost and at a higher rpm, it needs all the fuel the injectors can deliver. If the injectors are dirty and can’t keep up with the engine’s demands, the fuel mixture will lean out, causing detonation to occur. The leaning out may cause higher than normal exhaust temperatures and turbo failure.

10. Lack of Maintenance If an owner has neglected maintenance services like oil changes and filter replacements, chances are the fuel injectors will suffer. For port fuel applications, not changing the oil can result in blowby and a compromised PCV system, which builds up contaminates on the tip of the injector. Not changing the oil in an engine with direct fuel injection can result in a worn fuel pump camshaft lobe.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 01-20-15 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-20-15, 10:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

darn, oil consumption problems as well.
Old 01-20-15, 01:20 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

well, customer care package does sound a nicer than being labeled as a "recall"
Old 01-20-15, 02:07 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

somebody has been playing a lot of Call of Duty
Old 01-20-15, 02:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jadu
well, customer care package does sound a nicer than being labeled as a "recall"
well recall is for safety issues... so it is basically a mandatory TSB for us in Toyota world.

Two things to note - it seems that they are not going to address oil consumption issue but rather make sure oil light does not turn on during new shorter oil change interval.

Another thing is - didnt they do huge i6 recall recently as well? No engine is safe? Found it:
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/11/b...ars-worldwide/
Old 01-20-15, 02:17 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I saw this about a month ago. It's about time. This motor has been having issues from the very beginning. BMW seems to always be the first out on the market with new engine designs with oftentimes problematic results.
Old 01-20-15, 04:33 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
well recall is for safety issues... so it is basically a mandatory TSB for us in Toyota world.

Two things to note - it seems that they are not going to address oil consumption issue but rather make sure oil light does not turn on during new shorter oil change interval.

Another thing is - didnt they do huge i6 recall recently as well? No engine is safe? Found it:
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/11/b...ars-worldwide/
not because of oil change interval here, some loose bolt

if anyone was curious N54 engine is 6.9qts and N63 is 9qts, and increasing to 10qt with this fix
Old 01-20-15, 05:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
not because of oil change interval here, some loose bolt

if anyone was curious N54 engine is 6.9qts and N63 is 9qts, and increasing to 10qt with this fix
how do you mean lose bolt? It seems to me that engine likes spending oil, so they increased amount of oil so in 10,000 miles you dont get oil warning which will make you want a repair. If they actually fixed the issue, they would not need to increase the amount of oil.
Old 01-20-15, 05:19 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

the link you posted was due to a loose vanos bolt for the N54 engine. I believe they changed the oil interval on the i6 turbo engine as well. Wouldnt be surprised if these have damage as well but possibly more minor

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 01-20-15 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-21-15, 04:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

the link you posted was due to a loose vanos bolt for the N54 engine. I believe they changed the oil interval on the i6 turbo engine as well. Wouldnt be surprised if these have damage as well but possibly more minor
oh, my comment about oil was for their 8cly engines covered in OP. Them adding 1qt of oil capacity and lowering the change schedule seems to prevent warranty work on fixing the oil consumption problem.

In any case, it seems that they pretty much recalled all of their 6cly and 8cly engines produced since 2010 in past year.
Old 01-21-15, 07:26 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

It just boggles me to see how anyone thought 15k mile for a turbo engine oil change was a good idea, synthetic doesnt matter. Simple $30 test at blackstone would tell you that it was a really bad idea, and BMW is paying for it. To make matters worse these cars dont have a dipstick right?

Even here this guy hit 9281 miles on his 335 his oil and the TBN is almost shot:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475228

7500 miles and a little bit of TBN left, imagining going 15k miles.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=343071

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561668
Old 01-21-15, 07:37 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

It just boggles me to see how anyone thought 15k mile for a turbo engine oil change was a good idea, synthetic doesnt matter. Simple $30 test at blackstone would tell you that it was a really bad idea, and BMW is paying for it. To make matters worse these cars dont have a dipstick right?

Even here this guy hit 9281 miles on his 335 his oil and the TBN is almost shot:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475228

7500 miles and a little bit of TBN left, imagining going 15k miles.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=343071

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561668

The real world thing too is people drive past the oil change interval all the time. Oh, change it a 15k, well I don't have time. By the time it gets done, its a 18k, 20k change interval.
Old 05-11-15, 08:13 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

I was curious why batteries were being replaced in this fix when it has nothing to do with an oil change interval.

Enginerdy: Why BMW's N63 twin-turbo V8 eats batteries

Enginerdy: Why BMW's N63 twin-turbo V8 eats batteries
When cars get complicated, weird things happen. In the search for fuel economy and prodigious output, BMW's N63 twin-turbo V8 happens to chew through batteries.

Originally published in the June 2015 issue of Road & Track.

I have lots of friends who work on cars for a living. You could call them mechanics, but I think of them as supersleuths. I could write a book about some of the mysteries they've solved, like whacked-out windshield wipers caused by faulty fuel pumps or stability control that refuses to work because of dirty engine oil. Today's cars are so electronically interconnected that problems manifest themselves with the most bizarre symptoms. Here's one for you: BMW turbochargers are killing batteries in search of fuel savings.

BMW is no stranger to strange problems. The company has an admirable track record of introducing new technologies. Unfortunately, the new tech tends to be unreliable at first. The latest example giving BMW's warranty department gas is the N63 twin-turbocharged V8, introduced in 2008.

BMW of North America has recognized a number of N63 components with high failure rates, including timing chains that stretch and snap, leaking crankcase ventilation and fuel lines, and malfunctioning fuel injectors, mass airflow sensors, and vacuum pumps. Rather than waiting for them to break, BMW NA is proactively replacing the parts with improved components through its shrewdly named Customer Care Package, or CCP. This is not a recall, because recalls address vehicle safety. Instead, BMW says, the CCP represents its "commitment to the long-term reliability of our most technologically advanced products." It is undeniably a good customer service move.

BMW is also quietly dropping the V8's oil-service interval from 15,000 to 10,000 miles*. Not because of oil-life concerns, but to smokescreen the N63's appetite for motor oil. By shortening the time between oil changes (and sneaking an additional quart into the sump), there's less chance customers will get a low-oil-level warning. Insiders at BMW in Germany say the oil consumption happens to customers who don't ever flog their powerful, turbocharged V8s hard enough to fully break them in. Ironic.

Finally, the CCP offers a way to cover up the N63's habit of chewing through batteries: It contains a technical service bulletin to replace them at every oil change. This is where things get confusing. Why not just fix the underlying electrical problem? As it turns out, BMW can't.

As part of its EfficientDynamics push, BMW's cars are loaded with expensive systems to save fuel wherever possible. One of them, the smart-charging system, operates on the premise that you can increase fuel economy slightly by charging the battery only when coasting. Unfortunately, American drivers aren't coasters, we're cruisers, so the system was murdering batteries. BMW's solution was to throw money at the problem, replacing the batteries with Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) units that can cope with deeper and more frequent discharge cycles.

UNFORTUNATELY, THE NEW TECH TENDS TO BE UNRELIABLE AT FIRST.

That worked until the V8 gained turbos. With two very hot turbochargers in the very hot valley of its vee, the N63's cooling system must continue to run long after the engine's been turned off. The system's draw is more than the batteries can deal with, so BMW is now swapping out the old 90-Ah AGMs for 105-Ah units—and hoping they'll survive for at least 10,000 miles.

The simple solution would be to reprogram the engine computers to keep the battery's state of charge at a higher level. But in modern cars, everything affects something else, often in the most unlikely of ways. Charging the battery more often would affect fuel economy, which would require BMW to recertify the cars with the EPA. The revised mpg numbers would inevitably be lower than the ones advertised. Hello, class-action lawsuit.

So BMW can't actually fix the battery problem, it can only mask it. While it may be counterintuitive that turbocharging resulted in engines so understressed that they never break in, it's understandable. But who'd have thought adding turbos in search of better fuel economy would accidentally increase battery consumption? I feel for the guy who had to figure that one out.

Jason Cammisa is a senior editor at R&T. Sometimes, when he sneezes, the office lights turn off.

Quick Reply: BMW N63 "Customer Care Package": A Recall That BMW Refuses To Call A Recall