Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Cadillac CT6 (Page 4)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-16, 10:01 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Topping out in the $60s nowadays isn't that big a deal, but the 90s?!? Cadillac is way overreaching here, the core of the vehicle and then interior doesn't support that. They can sell that car all day long for $70k
Another issue I see is that the CT6 overlaps in price quite a bit with the CTS, which would kill CTS sales even more.
Old 01-28-16, 10:15 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I agree with your assessment...as I said the ATS and CTS aren't bad cars but they definitely aren't as good as the press was hyping them up to be. Consumers noticed that, along with the sticker prices, and as a result both vehicles sit on dealership lots for months on end. Go to any Cadillac dealer's website and there will be thousands on the hoods of these cars so technically they are quite a bit cheaper than the competition, but they still do not sell.
It's the same around here. The discounts are crazy across the whole Caddy line. Something most other luxury brands aren't doing, or don't need to do.
Old 01-28-16, 12:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I will at my earliest convenience. One of the editors at Motor Trend agreed with my assessment of the interior and he has sat in several CT6 mdoels. All it takes is a good eye to see the lack of attention to detail within the cabin. For example, Mercedes is putting aluminum buttons even in the C-class, whereas GM is putting cheap plastic buttons in their flagship Cadillac. Look at the LCD graphics in the rear seat entertainment system compared to the sleek tablets being used by the Germans. The air vents in the latest German cars are full aluminum whereas they are plastic here, and the speakers in the CT6 are mundane whereas the Germans are finishing them in metal.

As usual, General Motors is always late to the party.
The new CT6 has some cool attention to detail. I would not worry about window switches that are not crome or HVAC vents.

So cool details I have noticed and really like are:
-crome tipped window switches
-Cadillac logo on the door sill (looks awesome)
-love how GM has two LED lights for the start/stop switch and not just one
-the camera rear view mirror is rearlly neat
-my favourite small detail is the crome/metal ring for the seat belt pivot on the B-pillar. (Nice touch)

Cadillac has a true winner here and this vehicle is every bit a flagship like a A8/S-class/7Series.

A ttV8 which is on the way will put this vehicle over $100k.
Old 01-28-16, 12:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Probably every upscale or flagship sedan in that price range today has a boatload of features. They have to justify that price somehow. That was one of the ways (among several) that VW, several years ago, justified a 90K price for their W12 Phaeton sedan...yet it still didn't catch on in the U.S., notwithstanding the fact that you couldn't get a V12/W12-cylinder vehicle anywhere else for the same price.
Maybe Cadillac will make a V12 for the CT6. That would be insane.
Old 01-28-16, 12:22 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Cadillac has a true winner here and this vehicle is every bit a flagship like a A8/S-class/7Series.
I have driven the CT6, no one will say that this is equivalent of the A8/S/7. Again, it's not trying to be.

Unless you're just saying that it's Cadillac's current "flagship" in the way that those models are the respective flagships of their brands.

They they are not at the same level with regard to each other.
Old 01-28-16, 01:02 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

I like the CT-6! its the first large RWD sedan offered from caddy in 20 years! and it looks like a caddy which is nice.

however, a base 4 banger model? what in holy **** are they thinking? that car needs, NEEDS to have a v8 under the hood. I do like the styling, and the fact that it has lots of cool gizmos, but the rear tail lamps belong on a kia. front end is dead sexy and looks like a true American luxury car. dashboard is meh. looks too much like a modernized DTS deville,.

Cadillac used to be the standard of the world, and they built some very very beautiful and classy cars over the years. they need to drop this miserable FWD midsize rebadged chevy horse turds they have been squeezing out of Detroits anus for the last 15 years or so and get back to big, flashy, RWD cars. furthermore, Cadillac seems to be having some sort of identity crises and has been for years in recent memory, they started with the awful notorious blow up box northstar V8 trying to compete with germens, and they are STILL trying to be the germens, Cadillac, not to self, STOP PLAYING THE GERMAN GAME YOULL NEVER BE GERMAN!!!, caddy used to be better than Germany, they had there own identity and when you saw one going down the road you knew instantly what it was. they need to get back to there roots and do there OWN thing again like they did in the 1950s, be the greatest car, the world standard, and sadly I don't really ever see that happening again. really is a shame.
Old 01-28-16, 01:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

@Stereorob

Yes I4,but it does make pretty good power, has a 0-60 time of 6.1 secs, 265horses. The CT6 for the large size and the low weight is a pretty fantastic piece of engineering. The V8 is coming, supposed to be a 4.2 liter size.
Old 01-28-16, 01:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

If they aren't intending it to truly be flagship level that changes my perception, but attention to detail is VERY important in the flagship class, when you sit in these cars they exude quality from every area, there isn't anything you can touch on or look at and say its not as high quality as it could be, that isn't the case with the CT6.
Old 01-28-16, 01:52 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If they aren't intending it to truly be flagship level that changes my perception, but attention to detail is VERY important in the flagship class, when you sit in these cars they exude quality from every area, there isn't anything you can touch on or look at and say its not as high quality as it could be, that isn't the case with the CT6.
Agree completely. While it's the new, current Cadillac flagship, Johan and GM have indicated that larger is coming. That would be the true Cadillac flagship.
Old 01-28-16, 02:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Agree completely. While it's the new, current Cadillac flagship, Johan and GM have indicated that larger is coming. That would be the true Cadillac flagship.
CT8?

---

Current Cadillac Sedans

ATS 182.8 in
CTS 195.5 in
XTS 202.0 in
CT6 204.1 in

If a sedan above the CT6 is coming, I can't imagine the XTS will be around much longer.

My guess as to a future Cadillac Sedan line

ATS ---> CT2
CTS ---> CT4
XTS ---> Bye
CT6 ---> CT6
??? ---> CT8

---

Someone make the Cadillac Sixteen Concept a flagship already. Oh and keep the 13.6L 32-valve V16 as a nice ,,l,, to the German 12's

Last edited by Hoovey689; 01-28-16 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-28-16, 02:26 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
I like the CT-6! its the first large RWD sedan offered from caddy in 20 years! and it looks like a caddy which is nice.

however, a base 4 banger model? what in holy **** are they thinking? that car needs, NEEDS to have a v8 under the hood. I do like the styling, and the fact that it has lots of cool gizmos, but the rear tail lamps belong on a kia. front end is dead sexy and looks like a true American luxury car. dashboard is meh. looks too much like a modernized DTS deville,.

Cadillac used to be the standard of the world, and they built some very very beautiful and classy cars over the years. they need to drop this miserable FWD midsize rebadged chevy horse turds they have been squeezing out of Detroits anus for the last 15 years or so and get back to big, flashy, RWD cars. furthermore, Cadillac seems to be having some sort of identity crises and has been for years in recent memory, they started with the awful notorious blow up box northstar V8 trying to compete with germens, and they are STILL trying to be the germens, Cadillac, not to self, STOP PLAYING THE GERMAN GAME YOULL NEVER BE GERMAN!!!, caddy used to be better than Germany, they had there own identity and when you saw one going down the road you knew instantly what it was. they need to get back to there roots and do there OWN thing again like they did in the 1950s, be the greatest car, the world standard, and sadly I don't really ever see that happening again. really is a shame.
You say they copy the Germans yet wonder why there's a 4-cylinder in there. Copying the Germans led to the ATS and CTS. This is a Cadillac that FINALLY isn't copying the Germans.
Old 01-28-16, 06:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
front end is dead sexy and looks like a true American luxury car. dashboard is meh. looks too much like a modernized DTS deville,.
Well, Cadillac needs to come back with something that will appeal to the former DTS crowd....call them a bunch of old fogies if you want, but they had lots of money, and were Cadillac's bread and butter. They haven't had their flagship in several years, and the replacement XTS didn't really cut it with them. Cadillac, as a brand, has suffered as a result. I think the CT6 will succeed where the XTS failed.

they are STILL trying to be the germens, Cadillac, not to self, STOP PLAYING THE GERMAN GAME YOULL NEVER BE GERMAN!!!, caddy used to be better than Germany, they had there own identity and when you saw one going down the road you knew instantly what it was. they need to get back to there roots and do there OWN thing again like they did in the 1950s, be the greatest car, the world standard, and sadly I don't really ever see that happening again. really is a shame.
Cadillac isn't just trying to be German. The CTS and ATS were actually developed on German platforms, on the Nurburgring, before the track's owners stopped allowing manufacturer-testing on that course. That's why their chassis handle so well.

I well-remember the Cadillacs of the 50s and 60s that you are referring to here, and, while they were nice cruisers, I wouldn't call them the standard of the world even back then. They were rattle-prone, had poorly-done paint jobs compared to their Lincoln and Chrysler Imperial competitors, and lacked the stability/handling of the Chrysler torsion/leaf suspension vehicles. They excelled primarily in chrome-laden bodies, fins, ride comfort, noise isolation, and a smooth engine....some of their less-expensive Buick Electra cousins actually had smoother automatic transmissions.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-28-16 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-28-16, 07:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Cadillac does not need to come back to the DTS buyer. The XTS sells as well as the DTS did.
Old 01-28-16, 07:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Cadillac does not need to come back to the DTS buyer. The XTS sells as well as the DTS did.
Well, one can have genuine disagreements, but, whether they actually need to or not, I think they are in fact going to do that, at least to some extent, with the CT6. I'll save final comments for a formal test-drive, but, at first glance, this looks head and shoulders above the XTS.
Old 01-28-16, 08:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't see how the CT6 can remind anybody of the DTS...

Quick Reply: 2016 Cadillac CT6 (Page 4)