Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Toyota Tacoma news

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-16, 05:50 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Congrats. Nice color! That is an access cab?
Thanks. Yes, it's an access cab. They have a 2013 RAV4 they use when they have backseat passengers.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations to them...hope they enjoy it.

Remember, though.....almost any vehicle rides quieter when brand new than after it has some wear on it. The fact that your brand new truck rides quieter than an eight-year-old one is not surprising, nor does it necessarily indicate a quieter-riding design on the new one overall. It does show, of course, that brand-new tires, glass-sealing, sound-insulation, and weather-stripping (and, of course, not to mention a brand-new engine) helps keep the noise level down.
Thanks, they're quite happy with it so far.

As for quietness, I mean it's quieter than my '11 was, even when new. Toyota did a nice job on this truck.

I really liked that it still felt like driving a truck, if that makes sense. Felt rugged and tough.
Old 01-18-16, 06:30 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Awesome! Looks very nice! Your parents got a nice truck!

Originally Posted by JDR76
My parents traded in their 2008 Tacoma and picked up a 2016 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab a couple weeks ago. This photo is the one my dad took upon delivery.

They brought it over for a visit on Saturday and I got to spend some time driving it around. I enjoyed it very much. It's a substantial improvement over the 2011 that I had (4x4 TRD Sport 4 Door). It definitely has a quieter ride than the previous ones and drove really well, though the sport suspension seemed firmer than I remember from my 2011.. The interior was dark with the charcoal gray seats and black headliner and carpet. The seats were comfortable and the dash layout was clear. The TFT display between the tach and speedometer was very nice, and the navigation system was a lot like the Lexus gen 8 system, with similar menus and apps. It had nice features like BSM, RCTA, heated mirrors, Qi charger, pushbutton start, etc.

They only have about 800 miles on it but were averaging 20.6 mpg which I thought was pretty good, as I only averaged around 16-18 mpg on my Tacoma when I had it.
Old 01-18-16, 09:35 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice looking truck. What does the "sport" get you over the SR5 trim? Obviously a hood scoop and I think the grill is different, right?

My dad tried buying a Tacoma a few weeks ago with no luck. He's pretty picky about the options he wanted, SR5, V6, tow package, 2wd, Access cab, either gray or black. The biggest dealer in town had 6 Tacomas on their lot, he said they were either the cheap ones with 2wd and the 4 cylinder, or loaded crew cab 4x4 trucks going for about 4-8k more than he wanted to pay. He didn't want a crew cab anyways, they have a Camry if they need to ride people around.

Anyways, the dealer said there was one in Louisville with the options he wanted, they'd have somebody drive it down. Call him back the next day and tell him it was already sold. He has one on order, should be built end of February and he'll take delivery in early March.
Old 01-18-16, 09:47 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

The Sport trim gives you a different suspension set up and some trim differences.

This truck was on a dealer trade too, after losing out on three different ones. Finally another local dealer had this one and he was able to get it. Inventory is still light and they're selling super quickly.
Old 01-18-16, 10:35 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My co-worker's dad just bought one too, he was thinking to trade in his 13' for the new one, but he loves both to death so ended up keeping both Tacomas.
Old 03-10-16, 01:45 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

So dad's Tacoma came in earlier this week and I drove it a bit. Must say I'm rather impressed.

As stated earlier, he ordered an extra cab, 2wd, v6 SR5 with the tow package. Its about the most basic configuration you can get a V6 in. He didn't want or really need 4wd(I told him to order 4wd and go out to Utah with mom as a retirement trip, told him he needed to go see the west and Wiley Coyote territory).

Anyways, he did want the big engine to pull a bigger boat which he's going to buy. I've driven his 2004 Tacoma with the 4 cylinder and our alumium boat that weighs maybe 700lbs with the trailer. The aerodynamic drag with the 4 cylinder engine is enough to make you downshift and lose speed going up a hill at 60mph. Its pretty pathetic.

Getting on to how it drove. First thing I noticed is the truck is huge, feels bigger than his T100 which I drove when I was 16-17. Love how you sit up high, even in the 2wd models. It has big 16" wheels with some rather beefy looking tires, so it looks totally boss. Nobody will know its not 4wd. Getting on to the big part, its wide driving down the road, but not nearly as bad as a full size truck. The V6, it was torquey but not really fast. I didn't rag on it real hard since it had 100 miles on it, but I could tell that it had the power to where if you hooked a load on it it wouldn't mind.

The automatic transmission, I wasn't that crazy about that. It was obviously programmed for fuel economy and upshifted real quick. Downshifts weren't that quick or swift when I put my foot into it either. I kind of miss the old 4L60e in my LS1 Z28 Camaro and LT1 Cadillac Fleetwood, those cars only had 4 speeds and were super easy to shift the transmission with your right foot if you know what I mean. I didn't push the "ECT POWER" button, which I assume would change the transmission shift logic and maybe throttle mapping, probably does the same thing as the "TOW/HAUL" button on a GM truck. If I ordered one, I would definitely go for the 6 speed manual, I don't like being held hostage to a computer that constantly is shifting the truck out of its powerband.

Overall I was pretty impressed with the truck. Fit/finish was awesome, seats were extremely comfortable, like I said in my earlier review, these trucks have a ton of equipment standard now days that used to be optional. About the only thing the luxury crowd would complain about in his "basic" truck would be no leather seats, no seat heaters, and no power adjustments on the seats(but if you're like me you never adjust the seat and you're the only one who drives it)
Old 03-30-16, 07:01 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The midsize pickup segment is heating up, and the Toyota Tacoma and Chevrolet Colorado are at the forefront of this resurgence. We pitted the two against each other to determine which model better suits your needs.
Taco FTW.
Old 03-31-16, 10:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

lol, airbag deploying on Colorado during light off roading at 8mph without them actually hitting anything is just a proof that cars can not be evaluated on statistics alone. Not to mention that things never change.
Old 03-31-16, 10:14 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Been driving around in my in-laws base stripper 2016 Tacoma this week. I'm amazed at how far these have come. This supposedly stripper model has features like back up camera, bluetooth, touchscreen radio, voice commands. Wow!
Old 03-31-16, 11:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
lol, airbag deploying on Colorado during light off roading at 8mph without them actually hitting anything is just a proof that cars can not be evaluated on statistics alone. Not to mention that things never change.
You don't have to hit anything. My 04 4Runner has roll sensing side curtain airbags. There is defeat switch on the dash that the driver is supposed to turn off to prevent deployment during off road. It would of been nice to see what the testers were doing to set off the air bag.
Old 03-31-16, 12:34 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

You don't have to hit anything. My 04 4Runner has roll sensing side curtain airbags. There is defeat switch on the dash that the driver is supposed to turn off to prevent deployment during off road. It would of been nice to see what the testers were doing to set off the air bag.
Interesting. I wonder if Toyota has them set to where they will turn off if you shift the truck into low range. They should, considering the only thing you use low range for is rock crawling and mud pits.

As for the airbags in the Chevy going off, I'm sure that had to scare them all to death. Not to mention the noise, I'm sure it sounded like a gun going off in the cabin.

Also, I don't know why you'd buy the Chevy(nevermind the airbag), its not clearly better than the Tacoma and the resale value is going to suck compared to the Tacoma. 4wd Tacomas just go for insane amounts of $$$$ used, even ones with a bunch of miles on them.

Last edited by Aron9000; 03-31-16 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-31-16, 12:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Interesting. I wonder if Toyota has them set to where they will turn off if you shift the truck into low range. They should, considering the only thing you use low range for is rock crawling and mud pits. .
I am not sure but the low range might turn if off. My 2004 has a push button switch and I think my parents 2015 4Runner has it as well. But their 4Runner is the Limited model so maybe not.
Old 03-31-16, 03:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Interesting. I wonder if Toyota has them set to where they will turn off if you shift the truck into low range. They should, considering the only thing you use low range for is rock crawling and mud pits.

As for the airbags in the Chevy going off, I'm sure that had to scare them all to death. Not to mention the noise, I'm sure it sounded like a gun going off in the cabin.

Also, I don't know why you'd buy the Chevy(nevermind the airbag), its not clearly better than the Tacoma and the resale value is going to suck compared to the Tacoma. 4wd Tacomas just go for insane amounts of $$$$ used, even ones with a bunch of miles on them.

It is likely a bug is hardware/software that will be recalled... no matter how hard you are driving it (and they did not), it should not be deploying... i sense a recall in few months.
Old 03-31-16, 03:53 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Been driving around in my in-laws base stripper 2016 Tacoma this week. I'm amazed at how far these have come. This supposedly stripper model has features like back up camera, bluetooth, touchscreen radio, voice commands. Wow!
any pics of stripper model? Civics and Tacomas have rear camera, but my neighbors new $69k M3 doesnt
Old 03-31-16, 04:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

LOL. Sounds like today's vehicles are getting so complex that one now has to go through checklists, like in an airplane. Of course, in your case, Jill (as with most of us), we're assuming that you rarely, if ever, actually GO off road. Except for the Jeep Wrangler, relatively few SUV owners do.....around 5% in the U.S, though it might be a little more in Canada.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-31-16 at 04:54 PM.

Quick Reply: 2016 Toyota Tacoma news