Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi following Tesla with 280-mile EV family car

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-14, 05:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Audi following Tesla with 280-mile EV family car

The press days are finished at the LA Auto Show, but things said there are still making news. While in California, Audi technical development chief Ulrich Hackenberg told reporters that his employer plans to release an electric car with a range of 280 miles "around 2017." Hackenberg wouldn't say what kind of car - or crossover, perhaps - it will be, but one report said it would be "a large car, fitting five large people with ample luggage space." Most observers expect it to be a sedan to take on the Tesla Model S.

It's no secret that Audi respects Tesla, and there have been hints that The House of Quattro is ready to really flex its progress-through-technology muscles in Tesla's direction. Audi will be applying lessons learned in the development of the coming R8 E-tron to the future electric car, after it managed to double the range of the electric sports car thanks to new battery technology to 450 kilometers, or 281 miles.

This puts another tentative all-electric Audi in the mix and another Tesla competitor, after rumors of a possible electric Q8 from February of this year. If an electric Q8 does happen, it's expected to be a challenger to the Tesla Model X. And that might not be all: Bloomberg reported in June that Audi had "devised blueprints for several high-performance electric saloons and sport-utility vehicles."
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/26/a...mile-range-ev/
Old 11-28-14, 10:29 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is interesting how the market it is going. Audi slowly moving towards vehicles with batteries, Tesla-BMW are collaborating together, which would mean BMW may go the same route as Audi. I just wonder what MB will end up doing. We know Toyota is choosing to go the hydrogen route, which means Lexus would probably would do the same. The future of green/clean cars sees quite fun and interesting
Old 11-28-14, 12:56 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by JessePS
It is interesting how the market it is going. Audi slowly moving towards vehicles with batteries, Tesla-BMW are collaborating together, which would mean BMW may go the same route as Audi. I just wonder what MB will end up doing. We know Toyota is choosing to go the hydrogen route, which means Lexus would probably would do the same. The future of green/clean cars sees quite fun and interesting
I would love to see Lexus Hybrids gain more EV range, power mph/mpg and plug in
Old 11-28-14, 09:56 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Tesla's battery pack range will be 350+ miles by 2017
Old 11-28-14, 11:20 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by GQD_GS4
Tesla's battery pack range will be 350+ miles by 2017
That's a solid number
Old 11-29-14, 03:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
VW/Audi is also going "hydrogen" route... everyone is doing "something" to appease the investors, but they are not actually producing these cars, yet... they still need to find way to make these profitable.

BMW is only premium manufacturer that actually spent a lot of money into making all new vehicle just for EV, and according to the news reports from Germany, sales are half of their expectations.
Old 11-29-14, 05:38 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
VW/Audi is also going "hydrogen" route... everyone is doing "something" to appease the investors, but they are not actually producing these cars, yet... they still need to find way to make these profitable.

BMW is only premium manufacturer that actually spent a lot of money into making all new vehicle just for EV, and according to the news reports from Germany, sales are half of their expectations.
BMW PR says they can't keep up with demand.
Old 11-29-14, 07:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Levi68
BMW PR says they can't keep up with demand.
thats i8 which is very limited numbers... i3 they are selling 50% of what their expectations were.
But they are selling a lot more profitable SUVs than before, so it is all good.

FRANKFURT, Nov 4 (Reuters) - BMW AG has quietly throttled back its expectations for car sales this year, despite reporting a forecast-beating operating profit in the third quarter, when strong demand for sports utility vehicles helped offset lackluster sales of electric cars.
BMW has also invested billions in developing electric car technology, launching its own "i" brand. But it had sold only 10,199 of the i3 hatchbacks by end-September. In February the company said it had "more than 11,000 orders."
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102151301#.

According to a report by kfz-betrieb, a newspaper that keeps extremely close ties to the car dealers in Germany, the i3 isn’t faring as well in its home market as it is abroad. After nine months of sales, dealers have sold just half of the vehicles they were told to move. Those figures even include sales delivered during the i3’s initial hype; a dealer who requested anonymity for fear of repercussions has said that the honeymoon period is most definitely over.
Dealers have been able to sell 1900 units since the beginning of the year, a third of which came with the optional gasoline-fueled range extender, says kfz-betrieb. That’s woefully short of the 5000 to 6000 units the 43 German “i agents” are supposed to sell before the end of the year. This September has been the most disappointing month so far, with only 131 i3s finding new homes. BMW is blaming long shipping times of up to six months for the weak sales. “Dealers say they could sell more cars than allocated,” Reithofer recently claimed, but as Kfz-betrieb notes: “He did not say which dealers.”
http://blog.caranddriver.com/cash-on...es-in-germany/