Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Toyota Camry Reviews

Old 09-24-14, 12:55 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

This is the Camry that should have debuted two years ago. Makes the current model look like a block on wheels.
I would still choose a new Accord over this. Looking at it head on, the gaping hole in front looks like 75% of the car is missing.
Old 09-27-14, 04:10 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This 2015 Toyota Camry road test review video includes information about what's new for 2015 along with information about pricing, fuel economy, interior features and the driving experience.
Old 09-27-14, 06:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
This is the Camry that should have debuted two years ago.
Actually, eight years ago. I found the 2006-2011 models very disappointing.

I would still choose a new Accord over this. Looking at it head on, the gaping hole in front looks like 75% of the car is missing.
What they seem to be trying to do is imitate the Lexus spindle-grille, but in a somewhat different graphic form. Same with some other new Toyotas.
Old 09-29-14, 09:50 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 10-09-14, 11:59 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

At long last, Toyota finally has its very first car that gets a Good rating in IIHS's small overlap front crash test--the 2015 Toyota Camry!!
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/toyota/camry

Now if only Lexus can have at least one car that gets a Good rating in this test we can all breathe a sigh of relief...
Old 10-10-14, 07:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

that last autotrader video is nice and VERY positive!

i believe this camry is going to FAR outsell prior ones because they finally have the goods to compete with and smash the kia optima, the mazda 6, the ford fusion, and the accord.
Old 10-10-14, 10:06 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

It's obvious that the updated Toyota Camry became more stylish but Toyota also aimed to improve handling and quietness. Engines remain the same, including the super-efficient hybrid.
Old 10-10-14, 10:18 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The black C pillar piece is barely noticeable in videos and real-life pics, and really doesn't look awkward at all.
Old 10-10-14, 04:32 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The first Canadian review of the Camry is out and it is favourable.

Certainly, they’ll have no trouble retaining existing customers. But in a world that is thick with stiff competition it will be increasingly harder for Camry to occupy a sales lead. That’s why the trim line has expanded. The “middle ground” is a myth now. Even minor segments are intricately niched, and this one is no different. The Chrysler 200 might suit those looking for interior flash and sizzle, the Mazda6 those who need a sporty driving dynamic. Subaru covers those who feel AWD is a vital safety net.

For now, Camry has a serious contender for the middle ground. A genuine, please-everybody rig with satisfying driving dynamics. But how much longer will the concept of “broad appeal” last?

Toyota says this is a mid-cycle refresh of “unprecedented scale”. Every body panel except the roof is different from the semi-previous generation. Toyota says each alteration was designed to increase the outward athleticism of the car and also increase the sense of quality inside. It is part of the company-wide push towards more emotive motoring.

Despite being 45 mm longer overall, the new Camry looks smaller, with lower headlights and a sharper roofline helping visually minimize the size of the car. The side members are all new, with the C-pillar now shorter and more upright with an attached light screen.

The biggest changes from a driving standpoint centre around the steering and handling feel of the Camry. The track is now wider, improving cornering stability and stance.

Having not experienced the prior Camry in this setting [Charlotte Motor Speedway] I couldn’t tell you the difference, but I will say we tipped into the 24-degree banking at 203 km/h and the Toyota was putty in the driver’s hands – wherever he wanted to put it on the track (like up near the wall when we weren’t scared enough) he could put it.

Toyota then took us to a slalom course to work out the reprogrammed Electric Power Steering, new-for-2015 rebound springs (on SE and XSE models) and some other suspension tweaks.

The Camry turned in quickly and maintained a flat body posture, it was happy to move the tail under lift-off and rotated well but I still wished for more heft in the wheel. It was communicative, and the sensation through the wheel encouraged me to push harder, but the weight of the steering is too soft for my unsubtle palette.

There is also a new pre-load differential in the 2015 model. Essentially it is a diff with a conical spring inside it to provide friction when the wheels begin to spin at different rates. We’re told this mimics the effect of a limited slip differential, and we tested this with some aggressive straight line launches at a drag race Toyota had set up.

Even with traction control off and the fronts chirping, the steering wheel stayed true and the Camry maintained its line down the track.

Once at the end it was time to test the new two-stage brake boosters fitted. This system is designed to smooth out the braking feel and make it seem more linear after Toyota customers complained of a pedal that moved a long way before grabbing strongly. There was certainly more immediate effect than I’d noticed in previous drives and the brakes themselves refused to fade – despite our repeated attempts to make them do so.

None of those changes have altered the ride, which remains typically Toyota-steady and smooth. Even large seams didn’t upset the car – something I also noticed out on the banking of Charlotte. More importantly bumps didn’t upset the occupants. Indeed it wasn’t until late in the drive that I even considered ride comfort because the ride was so unobtrusive and calm. The seats themselves are supportive and comfortable – but I’d like a little more side bolstering for those times when Camry drivers watch too much NASCAR.

Source: Autos.ca
Old 10-23-14, 10:22 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 10-23-14, 10:39 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ugly car. I like 2014 better visually
Old 10-23-14, 07:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

motorweek calls the new grill spindle-like leaning to lexus.
Old 10-24-14, 01:49 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Saw one on the road the other day. The rear end looked just like an ES.
Old 10-27-14, 01:40 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

"For the 2015 model year, there are 2 new Camry trims available: the XSE and the SE Hybrid. The first thing you will notice on the 2015 Toyota Camry is the updated exterior. Every panel was changed on the outside except for the roof. Most evident is the front end redesigned which includes an updated bumper with mesh inserts, new headlamp design, integrated turn signals, and a hood with a lot of character lines. The chassis was strengthened and the suspension bar was raised to make this the best handling Camry ever. Out back there are all new tail lamp assemblies and an integrated trunk spoiler."
Old 10-27-14, 07:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

holy front wheel gap batman. but i still think it's the best looking camry ever by a mile. well done toyota.

edit: the video really shows some amazing attention to detail. particularly liked the second half where the engineering guy explained how they responded to customer input.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-27-14 at 08:01 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Toyota Camry Reviews