Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM To Idle ATS & CTS Plant For 3 Weeks; CTS Has 215 Day Supply

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-14, 10:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
We'll see. The MKZ was certainly a punt,
I would say the MKZ was a field goal. I really like the styling BUT as always with Lincoln or Cadillac, I would rather buy an ES350.
Old 08-10-14, 10:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Some mag reviews are saying that the new 2015 Genesis is the car that Lincoln should have replaced the TC with. I can't directly comment on that, as haven't reviewed one. But, from what I do know about it, I would tend to agree....it certainly has some nice things about it. I also won't comment much on the NX until I have seen it....but the styling, to me, seems awkward.
Town Car...Town Car...what?
Old 08-10-14, 10:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I would say the MKZ was a field goal. I really like the styling BUT as always with Lincoln or Cadillac, I would rather buy an ES350.
It's hard to directly compare a Cadillac to them, since Cadillac does not sell any FWD sedans in that price/size range.

At first, I really wasn't very impressed with either the newest MKZ or ES350. But, after some subsequent rides/drives (and, you may remember, I did a subsequent thread on it), I felt that, because of cold-weather-stiff tires/suspension, the ES seemed to ride noticeably better in warm weather. I agree that you would probably find the ES more to your liking. It also has a better dash/console/control set-up than the MKZ, but the MKZ's transmission buttons do admittedly save space.
Old 08-10-14, 10:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Town Car...Town Car...what?
I was simply responding to your earlier post about reviving the TC name....and that some mags have said a car like the new Genesis may have been a good candidate. But I agree we're all probably spending too much time on other brands, off-topic, since the topic is the current Cadillac ATS and CTS.
Old 08-10-14, 11:07 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I was simply responding to your earlier post about reviving the TC name....and that some mags have said a car like the new Genesis may have been a good candidate. But I agree we're all probably spending too much time on other brands, off-topic, since the topic is the current Cadillac ATS and CTS.
As our kids used to say, "you started it".
Old 08-10-14, 11:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
As our kids used to say, "you started it".

And, even though it takes more than one to tango, I'll finish it.

Back to Cadillac. Several comments here have been made as to the brand not currently selling well. While there are probably several reasons for that, one that may have been overlooked (at least in this thread) is the frustrating CUE system. Many potential buyers go read Consumer Reports first, and CR has panned the system in every new Cadillac they have tested.
Old 08-10-14, 11:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

The Town Car is dead. Time to get over it.
Old 08-10-14, 11:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The Town Car is dead. Time to get over it.
I moved on, friend. Now it's your turn.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-10-14 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-10-14, 11:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You bring it up in any thread where Lincoln or Cadillac are mentioned lol. It gets old.

Cadillac is not having trouble selling the ATS and CTS because the DTS is gone. Lincoln is not having trouble selling the MKZ and MKS because the Town Car is gone. In Cadillac's case its pricing being out of whack with perceived brand value. With Lincoln its because of poor execution in regards to the MKS and a totally decimated dealer presence. The Town Car and DTS would not help Lincoln or Cadillac sell the models we're discussing so bringing them up again, and again is just off topic.

The Town Car name is not coming back. The Town Car was a big fat old mans car when I was a kid and my Dad had a Lincoln Continental. I remember people's reactions when he said he bought a Lincoln and him reassuring them it wasn't "the big ugly one". That was 1989!

Same way when he bought his Cadillac STS 5 years later. Everybody laughed at him until they realized it wasn't one of the "big ugly ones". Then he got tired of being laughed at and bought his first Lexus LS.

These brand problems have been around for decades and decades. The Town Car and DTS style car is the reason for that. Big, ugly, attractive to fleets. Those cars made Caddy and Lincoln a joke.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-10-14 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-10-14, 12:12 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Great post. Mike, you have to let this go and move on. The market has changed and consumers have spoken with their wallets. Period.
Old 08-10-14, 12:14 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I moved on, friend. Now it's your turn.
You should have added "for now" after "I've moved on". It does come up over and over and over.
Old 08-10-14, 12:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
You should have added "for now" after "I've moved on". It does come up over and over and over.
He did originally and then went back and changed it. His post originally said exactly what you said above, he said "for this thread and only this thread" lol
Old 08-10-14, 12:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
^Great post. Mike, you have to let this go and move on. The market has changed and consumers have spoken with their wallets. Period.
A modern day Town Car in the classically sense would never work. The last gen topped at about 60k units per year and many of those sales were from fleet and limo buyers.

The last gen was also BOF, RWD, and it had a antiquated engine. A new more modern Town Car would cost a lot of money to make, MSRP would go up, fleet buyers would not purchase them, it would a grand mistake to think a modern day Town Car could work. If taste and trends change, it might work.
Old 08-10-14, 12:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

On Cadillac's end, they have a great product in the CTS and ATS. They just need to get the pricing set right. They need to present a value as compared to a Lexus, which already presents a value as compared to a BMW, MB or Audi. IMHO the CTS should sticker no higher than $60k, and the ATS should venture no higher than $45k.
Old 08-10-14, 12:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS

These brand problems have been around for decades and decades. The Town Car and DTS style car is the reason for that. Big, ugly, attractive to fleets. Those cars made Caddy and Lincoln a joke.
The brand problems at Lincoln and Cadillac are very serious. The only vehicle that does not suffer brand image problems is the Cadillac Escalade.

I always thought the 95-03 STS models were the best Cadillac has ever come to making a true Lexus competitor. THEN the terrible last gen STS came to market and Cadillac was laughed at once again.

Quick Reply: GM To Idle ATS & CTS Plant For 3 Weeks; CTS Has 215 Day Supply