Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Feds Confiscate 40 Land Rovers Over VIN Controversy

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-14, 06:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts
Unhappy Feds Confiscate 40 Land Rovers Over VIN Controversy

bunch of (40) land rover discoverys confiscated by EPA with no warning and no recourse.

is this really a good use of tax payer dollars?

Feds Confiscate 40 Land Rovers Over VIN Controversy
Federal agency seize 40 old Land Rovers, claiming that they are actually newer vehicles.

Forty Land Rover SUVs have been taken away from owners around the country by armed federal agents descending on private property with overwhelming force. Agents for Homeland Security Investigations last month wrapped up the seizure of forty vehicles pursuant to a sealed warrant issued in May. The agency insists that there were discrepancies with the VIN numbers for cars imported by Aaron Richardet at Patterson Auto Sales in Wilmington, North Carolina, and that the Land Rovers violated Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and US Department of Transportation (DOT) standards.

These regulations do not apply to cars that are at least 25 years old, but owners of the grabbed vehicles had no chance to present a defense before their SUVs were taken. The owners were only given until June 23 to file a formal contest to the seizures, which they could not have done because the court did not unseal the case until July 16. US District Judge James C. Fox denied a request to give owners more time to contest the seizure of their property.

Chris J. Benway paid $11,000 and invested another $23,607 in upgrading and servicing his blue 1984 Land Rover, which agents grabbed from his property on July 15.

"We cooperated fully with the forfeiture and will continue to cooperate," Benway told the court. "However, I do not believe this vehicle was imported illegally due to its being 25 years old at the time of purchase, and we have not seen any evidence of VIN tampering on the vehicle."

The government argued that the imported cars were actually 2000 model year and newer, and therefore subject to the EPA and DOT regulations. Daniel M. Harrington, an owner who wants his 1983 Land Rover Defender back says the government claim is nonsense.

"A basic visual inspection of the vehicle reveals that the same was manufactured far earlier than 2000," Harrington told the court. "I was advised that the Land Rover Defender YIN: [...] was manufactured in 1983 at the time I purchased it. My visual inspection of the vehicle reinforced this information as the vehicle exhibited correlative signs of aging and the vehicle's features were consistent with the features of Land Rover Defenders manufactured in 1983. Additionally, I had the vehicle examined by an expert in the field, who confirmed that the Land Rover Defender VIN [...] was manufactured in 1983."

Department of Homeland Security Special Agent Christopher M. Feldman said that he inspected the "non compliant" vehicles and found discrepancies in the Land Rovers imported by Patterson Auto Sales. He presented his findings to the court.

"The chassis was galvanized and Land Rover has not manufactured Defender vehicles with a galvanized chassis," Feldman claimed. "The engine was a 2.5 TDi 5 cylinder (Storm) engine, manufactured from 1997 to 2007, which cannot be retrofitted into a 1986 Defender Station wagon chassis; the vehicle color does not match the original Venetian red; a number of interior and exterior features were not introduced into production until significantly later model years."

Richardet, the importer, had explained the discrepancies to the Customs and Border Patrol agency in an email two years ago.

"The truck was taken down to the frame," Richardet wrote. "It was sand blasted then galvanized to prevent rust. The doors are prone to rust are scrapped and swapped out for newer ones. The old dashes have been out of production since 2004 so the newer dash is used if the old one is bad. The restoration shops try to make modifications and upgrades to the trucks to make them safer and more user friendly. Just like restoring an old Camaro old parts get junked and newer go one. I hope he will see that. All those parts are available from Land Rover and the truck has changed so little you can bolt them right on."

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/44/4476.asp
Old 08-01-14, 06:32 AM
Corey140
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Such a drama queen.
Old 08-01-14, 06:53 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i can rest easy knowing such hardened dangerous criminals are off the street
Old 08-01-14, 07:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

In some cases, vehicles that do not meet EPA/DOT standards CAN be legally imported into the country...they are known as "Gray Market" vehicles. Of course, as with virtually anything else involving the Government, it takes a lot of paperwork and red tape.

Chris J. Benway paid $11,000 and invested another $23,607 in upgrading and servicing his blue 1984 Land Rover, which agents grabbed from his property on July 15.
He's probably entitled to at least some, if not all, of this money back. It sounds like he did not buy it knowing that it may have been out of American-spec. at the time.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-01-14 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-01-14, 07:54 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

slightly misleading thread title there.....
Old 08-01-14, 08:20 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
My thoughts exactly.
Old 08-01-14, 08:24 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
My thoughts exactly.
Lol just like the media outlets do.
Old 08-01-14, 09:05 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Love your old car? Well, it's unsafe, carcinogenic, and will kill you and the environment.

You're killing whales, buddy! Your old car is killing whales with whale cancer!!
Old 08-01-14, 09:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

do tell what title you'd prefer - will gladly change it.
Old 08-01-14, 09:52 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
do tell what title you'd prefer - will gladly change it.
the article title would be better imo....

"Feds Confiscate 40 Land Rovers Over VIN Controversy"
Old 08-01-14, 09:54 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

the article title would be better imo....

"Feds Confiscate 40 Land Rovers Over VIN Controversy"
I agree...
Old 08-01-14, 03:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Bump for thread change before thread gets lost
Old 08-01-14, 04:04 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

An article I read a month ago said these imported vehicles had fake vin numbers from total "newer" vehicles, not that I think this is right but either is paying for a 2000ish vehicle, which is really a MY1979, thats a big difference in age and mileage etc
Old 08-01-14, 07:25 PM
Stormwind
Racer

That's what they get for buying grey market/illegally imported possibily stolen from it's orgin cars.
Old 08-01-14, 09:28 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

40 old s-boxes off the road...fine by me. can someone please send the EPA down to Phoenix? they have some work to do,..

Quick Reply: Feds Confiscate 40 Land Rovers Over VIN Controversy