Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-17, 12:16 PM
Bogglo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Toyota and Lexus have said that they have no intention of allowing Apple CarPlay or Android Auto on their platforms, that's their deliberate policy. I really don't think age of the basic platform is the issue...look at Honda. Their system makes Lexus' look state of the art and they have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
Good point. I know a lot of people want this feature, but if they do there research properly there are options specifically designed for the Toyota/Lexus system that works better in my opinion example was the Vaistech Ivic.
Old 02-24-17, 12:31 PM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bogglo
Good point. I know a lot of people want this feature, but if they do there research properly there are options specifically designed for the Toyota/Lexus system that works better in my opinion example was the Vaistech Ivic.
Your comment exactly helps my point that Toyota / lexus is using old Enform system.

This Vaistech Ivic is not main stream technology, it design specifically for Toyota / Lexus Enform System. (I mention some sort of software library for certain operating system)
And the performance is not that good, right?
Old 02-24-17, 12:33 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

One thing I don't like about our nav is that it doesn't allow satellite imagery or Google Earth overlays. Really liked that when I test drove other cars. Makes the map much more discernible and recognizable, at least to me.
Old 02-24-17, 12:52 PM
Bogglo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sears1234
Your comment exactly helps my point that Toyota / lexus is using old Enform system.

This Vaistech Ivic is not main stream technology, it design specifically for Toyota / Lexus Enform System. (I mention some sort of software library for certain operating system)
And the performance is not that good, right?
Based on my experience it works great and the Vaistech was for the old system I think the Generation 5 system was the last one to work with Vaistech. There is currently a new software out that works with the current Enform system. I have not tried that one yet
Old 02-24-17, 02:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

The flaw in this argument from sears is that AppleCarPlay and Android Auto run parallel with the car's infotainment system, when its active it supersedes the cars built in systems. I don't believe the design of the underlying system really matters.
Old 02-24-17, 03:13 PM
sears1234
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The flaw in this argument from sears is that AppleCarPlay and Android Auto run parallel with the car's infotainment system, when its active it supersedes the cars built in systems. I don't believe the design of the underlying system really matters.
Toyota / Lexus started cooperating with QNX (owned by BlackBerry) since 2011.
I tell you almost ALL car manufactures don't have enough and qualified software engineer to build their infotainment system now, they realize this issue now, and are catching the pace.
Almost all US and German car companies hire high tech company to develop and integrate their infotainment system, but Japanese still tried to do work by them self.

Toyota can barely make QNX work with its entune and enform system, they cannot bring too many new features yet, but they are working on it very hard.
Toyota is not able to bring CarPlay and Android Auto on its system right now, this is what I said the infotainment is still the old one.
Old 02-24-17, 06:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Toyota can barely make QNX work with its entune and enform system, they cannot bring too many new features yet, but they are working on it very hard.
Toyota is not able to bring CarPlay and Android Auto on its system right now, this is what I said the infotainment is still the old one.
This is what I don't get. If the infotainment systems in Toyota and Lexus cars are so bad, how is it that they can sell so many cars year after year.
Old 02-24-17, 07:25 PM
sears1234
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This is what I don't get. If the infotainment systems in Toyota and Lexus cars are so bad, how is it that they can sell so many cars year after year.
I never said Lexus (infotainment system ) is bad, I had bought five Lexus before. Lexus has superior reliability and smoothest ride.
What I'm saying or complaining is Toyota and Lexus didn't catch up the new technology, which I am wholeheartedly hope for. I was a Toyota fan, and wish to come back in the future.
Old 02-24-17, 08:48 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
They do make horrible systems and always seems to be late in adopting new tech, look at what the competition offers and you would know. Even a lowly Honda civic and numerous Hyundai's are now equipped with better tech. I came from BMW for reliability and lower long-term ownership costs. The fact that this 3IS is finally a better drivers car than the 3 series won me over. So yes, most of us who come from Euro cars did not choose Lexus because of their tech. If, I might also add, I know Lexus can't dominate on all fronts; however, I don't see why they won't adopt Apple car play when they don't offer anything better.
Old 02-24-17, 08:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

infotainment system being outdated wouldn't automatically means bad sales right? what is the logic behind that? there are still a lot of other good things about lexus cars

but comparing the infotainment on lexus vs bmw. vs audi vs mercedes, i would say each has their goods and bads. decade ago lexus was clearly in front but now imho lexus is clearly not in front. a lot of times they are trying to catch up on certain areas still. i really hope lexus can take charge on this area again
Old 02-24-17, 08:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
They do make horrible systems and always seems to be late in adopting new tech, look at what the competition offers and you would know. Even a lowly Honda civic and numerous Hyundai's are now equipped with better tech. I came from BMW for reliability and lower long-term ownership costs. The fact that this 3IS is finally a better drivers car than the 3 series won me over. So yes, most of us who come from Euro cars did not choose Lexus because of their tech. If, I might also add, I know Lexus can't dominate on all fronts; however, I don't see why they won't adopt Apple car play when they don't offer anything better.

earlier this week i received survey from lexus about their vehicles, actually about the infotainment system in particular. apple car play was the first thing i brought up
Old 02-24-17, 08:54 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Awesome, I like my first Lexus so far and will get another. Hopefully by 2019 they will have Apple car play...
Old 02-25-17, 05:03 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Let's see what Porsche can do now, 18 Mercedes-Nenz S 560 is out very soon.
Panamera

Infotainment System
Arguments like yours are extremely confusing.

First you argue that the LS500 is not any different than the LS460 because the UI is not going to be different.

Then you use a PORSCHE UI to make your point but it is not an argument at all, its two completely separate topics.

To back up your main argument, you need to compare LS460 and LS500 UI or else change your argument to LC500 UI vs Porsche Panamera UI.
Old 02-25-17, 05:10 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
I can see from a corporate identity point of view that a unique UI that only belongs to you can do your brand well. Lexus' UI is decent but I think its too sensitive and you always go over the places you want to land at and it can get frustrating.

It would make a lot of sense for mainstream users to have the option to use Apple or Android and in a sense, Lexus' stubbornness to not adopt those techs is not really helping them, especially since their own UI is not technically any better.

I've used CarPlay with my iPhone, wasn't that impressed, there are kinks that they need to work on, its not a perfect UI and it doesn't bother me that I can't use carplay as long as there is bluetooth music and talking. A bonus would be being able to type destinations on your phone and throwing it to your car.
Old 02-25-17, 05:51 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
A bonus would be being able to type destinations on your phone and throwing it to your car.
Enform offers this for free right now. I can't tell you the last time I attempted to input an address with the car's interface. Still a bit clunky, but worlds better finding the address on your phone.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)