Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-17, 03:51 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Yeah see that's the wrong way to do it.
a) They didn't have choice as engine was not ready
b) They wanted to focus on IS debut which would mean they dropped the GS right after second gen which explains why they wanted to cancel the 4th gen

So pick a or b or both
Old 01-18-17, 06:55 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I'm with you- I would've only accepted a V8 TT, not the LC's V8.
The TT V8 will most likely be in the LS-F. I do see room for a V8T in the 525hp range since the competition has optional engines that outpowers the TT V6.
Old 01-18-17, 07:44 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
The TT V8 will most likely be in the LS-F. I do see room for a V8T in the 525hp range since the competition has optional engines that outpowers the TT V6.
Yes, but then you're in the super sedan category. An S63 already has 577hp. As SW15LS noted, I want a luxury model to have the hp that its competition does. Beating a dead horse (that hasn't even come out yet lol) at this point, but that's how I feel.
Old 01-18-17, 08:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

all this talk of 400+, 500+ hp makes me chuckle when most people sit at traffic lights, drive along slow residential roads, or are looking out for speed traps on highways. fun for short bursts to be sure, but pretty much overkill and just "hp envy" otherwise.
Old 01-18-17, 08:44 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
all this talk of 400+, 500+ hp makes me chuckle when most people sit at traffic lights, drive along slow residential roads, or are looking out for speed traps on highways. fun for short bursts to be sure, but pretty much overkill and just "hp envy" otherwise.
I remember driving a Corvette Z06 at 15 and then a W211 E55 AMG when I was 16 back in 2006. My mind was blown. I couldn't believe cars could go even faster than those two. Nowadays I'm like "MORE! MORE!"
Old 01-18-17, 08:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I agree. I'm perfectly happy with the 368 HP I have.
Old 01-18-17, 09:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

If someone spends a significant amount of money on a car, they should expect high horsepower. Its part of the overall package. Would an S-Class coupe with the V12 be worth the $200K it lists at without the V12?
Old 01-18-17, 09:28 AM
Bogglo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looking at the rear end I think it still look more like the old more than it looks like the so called infiniti everyone is talking about. Also the rear of the new LS is what you get when you compress the old rear end. as for the side view
, the shape of the is like what happened to the 3GS and 4GS (coupe look and box look) just that this time they flipped it. and exterior wise I still love the side and rearview of a 3GS especially with a good staggered setup.
Old 01-18-17, 09:39 AM
Bogglo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and I ll compare the camry to the maxima. so I agree most people are just trying to give credit to there currently owned LS. in person I think that car would be stunning. Using the gsf as an example I love my 3GS so much that you can tell me nothing about the 4gs until I saw the gsf in person that thing is beautiful. the wide stance of he car with a good height and you wont mistake it with anything
Old 01-18-17, 10:05 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
If someone spends a significant amount of money on a car, they should expect high horsepower. Its part of the overall package. Would an S-Class coupe with the V12 be worth the $200K it lists at without the V12?
One does not necessarily buy a car with a V12 just for the high horsepower. You buy it for the turbine (jet engine)-like smoothness and power delivery it gives you. It is somewhat unfortunate that the Germans have put us in another horsepower race.

One reason I am more than happy with my ES Hybrid is because it gives me smooth, refined, immediate power delivery without the need for a V8, with the economy of a smaller 4-cylinder, yet it still has enough horsepower to keep me going at "stunt driving" speeds (50km/h / 30mph over the speed limit, here in Ontario, which translates to 150km/h / 90mph on our highways). Anything more than 250hp in the ES is but a waste.
Old 01-18-17, 11:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
One reason I am more than happy with my ES Hybrid is because it gives me smooth, refined, immediate power delivery without the need for a V8, with the economy of a smaller 4-cylinder, yet it still has enough horsepower to keep me going at "stunt driving" speeds (50km/h / 30mph
I don't understand why you need to inject the ES Hybrid vs ES350 argument in this thread.

Just imagine what the 5.0 V8 and the hybrid system from the LS600h would be like in the ES? At minimum, the ES hybrid should of married the 3.5 V6 to the hybrid system.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-18-17 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-18-17, 11:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bogglo

and I ll compare the camry to the maxima. so I agree most people are just trying to give credit to there currently owned LS. in person I think that car would be stunning. Using the gsf as an example I love my 3GS so much that you can tell me nothing about the 4gs until I saw the gsf in person that thing is beautiful. the wide stance of he car with a good height and you wont mistake it with anything
I do see a lot of Nissan when I look at the Camry.
Old 01-18-17, 11:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bogglo

looking at the rear end I think it still look more like the old more than it looks like the so called infiniti everyone is talking about. Also the rear of the new LS is what you get when you compress the old rear end. as for the side view
, the shape of the is like what happened to the 3GS and 4GS (coupe look and box look) just that this time they flipped it. and exterior wise I still love the side and rearview of a 3GS especially with a good staggered setup.
I don't see much Infiniti in the LS rear styling.
Old 01-18-17, 11:34 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't see much Infiniti in the LS rear styling.
Nope, I don't see any beyond they are both cars, and both have tail lights. But this constant comparison of new cars to existing saying they "cribbed the design" or "its a copy" is reaching a very high level of stupid. Many cars look similar, there is only so much you can do with the front, rear and sides of a car. Many times people make these "observations" without ever putting pictures of the two side by side.
Old 01-18-17, 11:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
Nope, I don't see any beyond they are both cars, and both have tail lights. But this constant comparison of new cars to existing saying they "cribbed the design" or "its a copy" is reaching a very high level of stupid. Many cars look similar, there is only so much you can do with the front, rear and sides of a car. Many times people make these "observations" without ever putting pictures of the two side by side.
I agree. Its beyond stupid. To me, the new LS looks like the current version as well as the current ES.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)