Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-17, 05:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Correct me if I am wrong, I haven't read anywhere that one can actually choose (dial in) what types of noise can be heard within the LS500. I suppose the active noise cancellation could be turned on and off, but I didn't know you could actually choose to hear specific noises. It maybe true in some of the other models you mentioned, but that is news as far as the LS500 is concerned.
The only device that I can remember (and it goes back a number of years) which could actually change the amount of noise coming from the engine was on high-line versions of the 90s-vintage Dodge Stealth and Mitsubishi 3000 GT (which were the same car). That device had a electronic control/dial on the dash where you could vary the tone of the exhaust-sound out the dual tailpipes......though I don't think that type of noise-control is quite what you are refering to. Unfortunately, I don't ever remember test-driving a Stealth or 3000 with that device on it....so I can't personally comment on its effectiveness.
Old 01-14-17, 05:39 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze876
why would I choose a v8 that is slower and less efficient than the v6tt? Before you mention refinement, you have not driven the 5ls yet so don't speculate. As it stands now I would take the v6tt 10 out of 10 times.

The LC500 comes with the v8 because it is a sports car. Sports car enthusiast want the v8 sound. I highly doubt buyers in the market for a 5LS wants the v8 sound or any engine noise for that matter.

Not sure if you realize but lexus claims 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. That puts it right between the v6tt and v8tt offerings of the germans. I think the s class and 750 is around 4.2 seconds.
The 5.0 V8 has 470hp and mated to 10speed would be just as fast as the v6 tt and at highway speeds would be even faster than the V6. Fuel economy would be marginally worse which nobody cares about in this class of car.
Noone has driven this new v6tt but if you know anything about engines - V6 architecture will never be as smooth or refined as a V8 or inline6.

If its so much worse than the V6 TT then why the hell did Lexus put it in their Halo car the LC500? It makes noise in the LC bec Lexus made it that way for sports car.
For the LS integration im sure they could make it whisper quiet like the current 4.6 V8.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 01-14-17 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-14-17, 08:21 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The 5.0 V8 has 470hp and mated to 10speed would be just as fast as the v6 tt and at highway speeds would be even faster than the V6. Fuel economy would be marginally worse which nobody cares about in this class of car.
Noone has driven this new v6tt but if you know anything about engines - V6 architecture will never be as smooth or refined as a V8 or inline6.

If its so much worse than the V6 TT then why the hell did Lexus put it in their Halo car the LC500? It makes noise in the LC bec Lexus made it that way for sports car.
For the LS integration im sure they could make it whisper quiet like the current 4.6 V8.
Yea but if the brand can slot an F spec LS with the LC engine and charge more like everyone else why would they not pick that option. Heck why not just throw in a hybrid powertrain+V6 TT you can charge more for that and call it a F instead. On demand torque and overall cleaner image.
Old 01-14-17, 09:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

while i personally think the engine in the rcf/gsf is a great engine, i just can't get myself to call it a high rev engine. its redline is 7100-7200rpm right? how is that high rev in today's technology?

bmw m cars v8 and v10 used to have north of 8000 rpm redline. even the current v6tt and v8tt m cars are 7500 and 7200 redline. that's what i consider high rev. of course nothing beats the 9000rpm in the lfa v10. imho the rcf/gsf engine is a very well balanced engine between rev and tq delivery, i think it's a good compromise on both. enough low end tq to make it more usable to most people on daily driving, and enough rev on the track to hold on to gears for longer.

i think lexus goes with v6tt in the ls500 mainly for fuel economy and cost. if they put in the v8 then there will be more pressure on price and gas mileage won't be pretty. personally i would still pick v8na over v6tt, if i am paying 80k or more for a car i can really care less about paying few hundreds more on gas a year.
Old 01-14-17, 10:28 PM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 01-15-17, 02:08 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts
Default AWD option?

This TFLcar review is short but informative because it interviews a Lexus exec.

- The release date is end of the year, not the Fall, so maybe Nov or Dec, nearly a year away.
- Main reason for V6 TT is fuel economy.
- At 1:44, they discuss an AWD option, and the exec says the option is under study. Considering that nearly 40% of LS460s from 2013-2016 were AWD (see Rhambler's thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...uild-info.html), the AWD option would be a no brainer. What's to study? Unless they plan to do away with that option too, which would be unbelievable. Then again, many people felt not having a V8 was unthinkable...
Old 01-15-17, 04:59 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Lexus LS 500 Flagship Sedan Receives 2017 EyesOn Design Award

January 10, 2017
DETROIT, Jan. 10, 2017 – With its radical new design, coupe-like silhouette and interior inspired by traditional Japanese aesthetics, the all-new 2018 Lexus LS 500 was named 2017 EyesOn Design Award for Design Excellence – Interior Design at the 2017 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit today.

The EyesOn Design Awards are the officially sanctioned design awards for NAIAS. They honor the best production and concept vehicles making their worldwide auto show debut at NAIAS. A panel of design leaders representing worldwide automotive manufacturers and transportation design chiefs from top design schools around the globe select vehicles to receive EyesOn Design Awards.

Designed by Lexus Design Division in Toyota City, Japan, the fifth-generation LS 500 represents not only the Lexus brand but will become the new-generation luxury car embodying Japanese tradition and culture. The designers took the approach of starting from new, reimagining what a flagship should be, as if launching the brand all over again. The goal was to exceed expectations of our luxury customers.
"With this LS, our goal was to make the same sort of impact that the original LS made when it debuted in 1989," said Koichi Suga, LS chief designer. "We're very proud that the EyesOn Design judges recognized our efforts and awarded the best interior honor to the LS 500."

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...sign-award.htm
Old 01-15-17, 05:06 AM
natnut
Pole Position

After some official news, here's some unofficial rumors from a car blog :

5th-Generation Lexus LS Will Get V8 Variant in the Future

Lexus debuted the all-new 2018 LS500 flagship sedan at the 2017 Detroit auto show today. You may have already known that the only engine option at this point is a twin-turbo 3.5L V6.

Although the V6’s technical specification proves it is more than enough to propel the full-size sedan, people who are buying this kind of cars usually expect a V8 simply due to its indication of social status.

However, for those potential buyers who are considering dropping the LS500 because of the V8 factor, please don’t be disappointed, hang on!

We talked to a Toyota/Lexus senior executive at the scene of the auto show, expressing our concern about the V6-only decision. In response, he confirmed to us with this exciting information: Lexus is indeed designing a V8 variant of the 5th-gen LS at this moment.

The executive declined to provide more details – including the nomenclature, technical spec and releasing time frame. But he hints the wait will not be long.

While it is not easy to get concrete technical details before Lexus officially publishing it, we do have source to know the new model’s name once Lexus management has made the final decision. We will report back once we hear anything new.

http://youwheel.com/home/2017/01/09/...in-the-future/
Old 01-15-17, 05:33 AM
natnut
Pole Position

I'm not sure what the angst over the TTV6 is about.

Just like BMW 7 series and Audi A8 have 6 cylinder base engines (which are outclassed by the LS's TTV6 incidentally), Lexus will have this LS 6 cylinder function as the base engine in the LS range with a higher powered TTV8 in the near future.
Old 01-15-17, 06:24 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

if that's true, then that's exciting!
Old 01-15-17, 06:25 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well that's reassuring, assuming it's more than a rumor.

Like I said, they should have released a 4 liter (or 3.999x) V8 TT off the bat pushing 480 HP to 500 HP, which I think is reasonable in regards HP/L. It would have immediately bested anything in its class while avoiding the European displacement penalty and it could comfortably sit alongside that V6. No idea if the proposed 3.5 TT shares anything with the existing 3.5 NA, assuming it does, they have a strong foundation in their old 4 liter they could build upon and modernize.

The V8 could easily carry a $9k or so premium and even if the V6 outsells the V8 two to one, having that "halo" engine just legitimizes the "flagship" among its peers and frankly would make the V6 version even more desirable.

If it's released by the 2019 model year, assuming they start showing up in late 2018, sign me up.
Old 01-15-17, 06:35 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

They probably did not even consider adding the V8 until all the negativity started to flow. Now they are saying the V8 is coming...OK, if it does come, it has to outperform the current V6 TT, otherwise what's the point?
Old 01-15-17, 07:40 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

It could be a V8 hybrid instead of a V8tt ...........
Old 01-15-17, 07:43 AM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't buy the V8 rumor, they've had more than a decade to build this car....Lexus is a hit or miss always, same reason why the 2.0T in the IS is inferior in performance and efficiency to all other competitor's 2.0T. It simply makes no sense as to why a V8 would not debut alongside this new V6TT, considering the V8 is old whereas this new V6TT is new. They could have used the same motor from the GSF if they wanted. Either way, i am fine with this V6TT since it is very competitive to the competition unlike the 2.0T in the IS.

Edit..can see the V8 hybrid rumor as more plausible as mentioned above...
Old 01-15-17, 09:05 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
I'm not sure what the angst over the TTV6 is about.

Just like BMW 7 series and Audi A8 have 6 cylinder base engines (which are outclassed by the LS's TTV6 incidentally), Lexus will have this LS 6 cylinder function as the base engine in the LS range with a higher powered TTV8 in the near future.
The angst is clearly because Lexus did not indicate that a V8 variant was coming at any point. I'm still skeptical to be honest.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)