Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-17, 12:14 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Conversely, many people would say the Lexus LS offers no compelling reason for purchase over the class stalwart, the S-class. The S-class typically premiers class leading technology, has the panache, comes in many more trim/model variations, some people prefer the more classic styling, and will be getting rid of the car in 4 years or so resale 10 years later is a non-issue.

So not that strong of an argument, and why we live in this brilliant world that gives us choice! The LS will indeed be a fine and welcome challenger in the D-segment luxury car realm. I think reviewers and the market alike will really resonate this car in some areas.
I suspect this LS will be a better car in almost every way than the S-class, at a lower price. What's not compelling about that?

Originally Posted by AJT123
The interior has grown on me a bit, in the side by side pics of this and S550, the new LS interior makes the S550 look....boring. The materials and overall luxury feel will easily meet if not exceed the S Class I am willing to bet. The doors are amazing, with the lines and panel of wood, and the bright white (Japanese lantern inspired) ambient lighting under the armrest. I want to see more of this lighting and more shots in the dark.
The way Mercedes does the wood on their door panels in the S-class make it look like something straight out of a Chrysler product:

Attachment 491988

The funny thing is you can tell how poor the build/materials quality in the Jeep is based on their own official marketing photo.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 01-11-17 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-11-17, 03:17 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

I will once again go on the tirade that S-Class interior is not all that it is made to be in pictures. Unless you set inside and spent some substantial time in it, you will not experience it properly. Is it flagship worth? Yes, it is. Is it above and beyond? Nope, it isn't.

My friend got brand new AMG few months back and he blew quite some six figures on it. On many road trips we had together, we have discussed it quite a bit. Although its super nice to be inside and you will be wowed with some user technology, little crude details are what spoils the fun once you notice them. First of all its the tablet arrangement of screens that looks like multiple monitor setup, that is something very utilitarian to be expected in luxury item. Second was the lighting and how raw and tack on it was, that is just something MB designers will never nail right as long as they follow Bauhaus german design philosophy cause concealed understated details don't exist in Bauhaus. Next is the wood grain and how garish it is and the flow from dash to doors doesn't belong on flagship car in 2016. And in the end my main biggest critique goes to attention focus that goes to vents and center storage compartment. Those two things are the biggest accents inside the cabin. Previous generation had just the center storage compartment that drew your focus away (which they fixed in CL by making it in wood) and this one now adds vents to the mix. Those are one of the nicest vents I've seen and touched but in the end they are just vents. We could go on on how uninspiring the front passenger side is considering the driver has two screens in front of him, it doesn't follow up. And so on...

Whatever you do dont buy your S-class in black unless you want to be in the mix of limo services. New S is the new Lincoln town car limo I swear to God, they are everywhere. That is the statement of how good of a car new S-class truly is.

When it comes to new LS exterior you really have to look at live pictures to get the sense of scale of how big is the grill actually and how huge are the headlamps, the car has presence. Definitely not a Buick or ES.
Old 01-11-17, 05:20 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I wonder if there's a spare tire on this thing. That is one knock I will give to Audi's A8, BMW's 7 and Mercedes S is the dumb run flats and no spare. I can't stand that and I can't stand those dumb, hard run flats.

That's one aspect I really enjoy about my current car: the full-size spare that is included and part of the tire rotation scheme although I would settle for a temp spare. But, having the full-size spare has huge benefits to me.

Last edited by Rhambler; 01-11-17 at 05:53 AM.
Old 01-11-17, 06:24 AM
e325rkh
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by imrankh24
Can you give me a reason why? Is it cause of the Benz badge or cause it get you more respect? Cause let's call a spade a spade this new ls is way better then the s class.
Imrankh24, are you even in the market for an LS or are you just a fan? Have you been inside or drove an S-Class? I believe you mentioned you have an ES. Why not just get the Avalon?

I am a current owner of a Mercedes GL and an Audi A7. Previous owner of an LS460 (2013), GS350 (2014) and IS300 (2013). Also had a string of Infiniti's (first one was a 1992 Q45 and the last one was a 2012 M37x).

Everyone has their opinion, but if you are going to compare one car to another, at least sit inside the other car. I think this reminds me so much of my Infiniti M, everything but the price. At $60-$70k, it is compelling. But like SW15 stated, the LS is not (and was not) a proper competitor for the S class.

Sit inside an LS, Q70, A8, S class, etc and then tell me how you feel.

Don't get me wrong, I really wanted this to be a home run, or cheaper, I can't spend $90K on this just like I can't spend $90K for a CT6. A better comparison is the Genesis G90. As much as I hate to admit, Genesis is becoming the Lexus that we loved. I am old enough to remember the LS400 and Q45 coming out in 1990 at prices almost HALF of what they were charging for E classes and 5 series (with V8s!).

It lease my cars and buy my trucks. Most NEW cars in the class are leased. The monthly payment difference will be non existent between this and a loaded S class (possibly cheaper for the s class first year). The Genesis G90 payment will be HALF.

TIming is also a problem. If you think this LS is evolutionary or even a step back after 11 years, just imagine when they refresh to get the kinks out (add a V8?), all others will be all new.

I replace my car in May, might be another Audi, or I may give the new 5 series a try. A GSF is also on my radar, if the price gets more realistic. E class is out since no V8 other than the 63 (same situation the LS is in for me). My nephew just got a G80, pretty nice, but harsh ride. G90 Ultimate's ride more in line with the LS460L, but not as perfect.
Old 01-11-17, 06:32 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by e325rkh
Imrankh24, are you even in the market for an LS or are you just a fan? Have you been inside or drove an S-Class? I believe you mentioned you have an ES. Why not just get the Avalon?

I am a current owner of a Mercedes GL and an Audi A7. Previous owner of an LS460 (2013), GS350 (2014) and IS300 (2013). Also had a string of Infiniti's (first one was a 1992 Q45 and the last one was a 2012 M37x).

Everyone has their opinion, but if you are going to compare one car to another, at least sit inside the other car. I think this reminds me so much of my Infiniti M, everything but the price. At $60-$70k, it is compelling. But like SW15 stated, the LS is not (and was not) a proper competitor for the S class.

Sit inside an LS, Q70, A8, S class, etc and then tell me how you feel.

Don't get me wrong, I really wanted this to be a home run, or cheaper, I can't spend $90K on this just like I can't spend $90K for a CT6. A better comparison is the Genesis G90. As much as I hate to admit, Genesis is becoming the Lexus that we loved. I am old enough to remember the LS400 and Q45 coming out in 1990 at prices almost HALF of what they were charging for E classes and 5 series (with V8s!).

It lease my cars and buy my trucks. Most NEW cars in the class are leased. The monthly payment difference will be non existent between this and a loaded S class (possibly cheaper for the s class first year). The Genesis G90 payment will be HALF.

TIming is also a problem. If you think this LS is evolutionary or even a step back after 11 years, just imagine when they refresh to get the kinks out (add a V8?), all others will be all new.

I replace my car in May, might be another Audi, or I may give the new 5 series a try. A GSF is also on my radar, if the price gets more realistic. E class is out since no V8 other than the 63 (same situation the LS is in for me). My nephew just got a G80, pretty nice, but harsh ride. G90 Ultimate's ride more in line with the LS460L, but not as perfect.
Wow you're really against Lexus and the new ls. And to answer your question the Avalon is garbage compared to the es, and I always wanted a Lexus and my dad got it for me as a gift I could've gotten the is or gs but I just loved the refresh es inside out, I would never pay 40k plus for a Toyota when you can get the Lexus sibling for a little more that looks way better in and out
Old 01-11-17, 06:32 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
I also feel a lot of forum members, in a time of excitement or hysteria are completely forgetting the fact that none of us will ever see the car the way we see the photos. You're seeing these photos typically from ground level but cars are not designed for ground level viewing, they're designed for average human height level viewing (5ft and up, with most men averaging 5'7+). All of you will see the car from a different angle that is the reason why so many people get so hysterical in the beginning (ground photos) and change their minds about the way cars look and how acceptable/attractive they look after seeing it in person (human eye level viewing).

Step outside of forum life for a second and think like a mainstream buyer.

I think BrownPride is onto something here with the Mandarin Oriental-ish asian inspired design. The door panel looks beautiful, like the layers of an asian fan.

Two points in reverse order.
1) I am not a fan (no pun intended) of the odd-looking wood and leather trim on the door panels. But I am intrigued by and think I will like the floating door handles.

2) Having said that, I do see your (and brown pride's) point that the design has an Oriental theme being shaped like a fan when viewed exactly head on. So, how often can you look at this trim from this angle? I say hardly ever except if you are the driver and crane forward to look at the passenger door. It contradicts the good point you made about people' misgivings about the exterior shape and curves (viewing angles). I would have preferred the door trim lines to flow much better at the top edge by the glass.

Regardless, I am very upbeat about various features in this car, as detailed in the ongoing thread in the LS forum. We all have various concerns with the exterior and interior, but many of those may vanish once we walk around the car, sit in the driver's seat, and touch and feel everything. The absence of a V8 option is definitely puzzling, but it may be offered in future years.

Last edited by comotiger; 01-11-17 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-11-17, 06:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
I suspect this LS will be a better car in almost every way than the S-class, at a lower price. What's not compelling about that?

The way Mercedes does the wood on their door panels in the S-class make it look like something straight out of a Chrysler product:

The funny thing is you can tell how poor the build/materials quality in the Jeep is based on their own official marketing photo.
And Lexus does it any differently?

Old 01-11-17, 06:47 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
And Lexus does it any differently?

Aren't we here to defend Lexus?
Old 01-11-17, 06:48 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by comotiger
Two points in reverse order.
1) I am not a fan (no pun intended) of the odd-looking wood and leather trim on the door panels.

2) Having said that, I do see your (and brown pride's) point that the design has an Oriental theme being shaped like a fan when viewed exactly head on. So, how often can you look at this trim from this angle? I say hardly ever except if you are the driver and crane forward to look at the passenger door. It contradicts the good point you made about people' misgivings about the exterior shape and curves (viewing angles). I would have preferred the door trim lines to flow much better at the top edge by the glass.

Regardless, I am very upbeat about various features in this car, as detailed in the ongoing thread in the LS forum. We all have various concerns with the exterior and interior, but many of those may vanish once we walk around the car, sit in the driver's seat, and touch and feel everything. The absence of a V8 option is definitely puzzling, but it may be offered in future years.
What exactly about the Door panel in unattractive? Way nicer then the Benz one for sure.
Old 01-11-17, 06:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I am critical of Lexus and Toyota when I have to be. There is no need to defend Lexus for the simple case of defending Lexus. The door panels are the same style.

I even think the 13 refresh with the metal corners is not the greatest. Otherwise the 13 refresh was a nice interior.

Old 01-11-17, 06:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

We're here to talk cars....(including Lexus).......and to express free opinions either way.
Old 01-11-17, 07:04 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Sure, if you shop on price.

That explains a lot. This is Car Chat, where we discuss everything. Obviously since this is a ClubLexus site many people here are current/previous Lexus owners, but the thing that makes this forum great is that we don't have blinders on, for the most part.
Old 01-11-17, 07:05 AM
e325rkh
Rookie

I had a 13 LS and my brother in law had a 2009 (interior looked almost exactly like above). What I didn't like was the extensive use of painted plastic to look like metal. It was the exact same color/paint as the old Yamaha recievers.

Not against Lexus, not here just to defend it either. We all have our opinions that we share to help shape the direction of future offerings positively, as an actual buyer, target audience. I am not against this one, per-se, I like that the exterior and interior reminds me of my Infiniti's. However, I have moved on from those Infiniti's, and would not expect to rehash same in a Lexus, especially at a 50%-75% price premium.

At $70K, this is compelling, V6 and all.
Old 01-11-17, 07:14 AM
e325rkh
Rookie

Infiniti M37 interior followed the Asian inspired theme (but this came out in 2010 as a 2011):

Old 01-11-17, 07:17 AM
e325rkh
Rookie

On another topic, what is the chances that the new GS does NOT get this engine/trans combo? That may work nicely.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)