Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 02:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Ohh man, I'm late to see the new LS, but here gone the last hope that I can get back to Lexus family, until they rid of current lineups.

It's is a nice car, but as a long time LS lover, this is not for me. I agree with a lot of members here, and don't wanna add any more comments,

All I can say is, as a potential buyer on flagship sedans, I won't look at the new LS.
I'm interested to know why, is it the V6? I'm a long time LS lover and owner too and the only impediment for me is the V6.
Old 01-10-17, 02:09 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

interesting thread, of course styling is subjective so i will leave beauty to each his own. my own thoughts are kind of the same i felt when they released the new rx. it seems lexus is trying to change their appeal to the demographic instead of concentrating on what has made them admired subtle beauty.
this spindle grill is getting ridiculous in lexus using it how does it get past focus groups?
all this panning the powertrain, wait for the reviews and the test drives, lexus wouldnt jeopardize the brand with the ls with a powertrain like the gs200 or is200 that has lag, is not powerful enough or doesn't have the reliability.
overall the car has a futuristic pretty shape and i commend them for taking the necessary steps to differentiate from the new 7 and the new s550 with the interior.
moving into the 2018 year, i have to believe there has to be a hydrogen car being released in the next three years the answer is not the turbo 6 for a combined 23mpg if it has a spirited driver. lexus has more up its sleeve. in the meantime let the car go thru its public entrance instead of these rants about the v8
i have had the ls 400 and ls430 and loved the v8 the reality is like my discussion on the gs350 the 3.5 v6 non turbo is not meeting the efficieny standards of the germans.
unless someone has a huge back seat desire. i know this will cause a stir with all the rhetoric to come.
but a lease 2017 bmw 540 with rear wheel steering and the 3.0 liter inline 6 turbo for 58k just looks to appealing to step up to the 7 the s or this car.
wouldnt buy a cpo or buy one but leasing and handing it back thats the car that has the design, the comfort , the performance and the bang for the buck right now
sorry lexus your fumbling. its time someone in the family is shaken a bit and maybe the shake up will finally awaken the company that has been sleeping for 10 years acura.
wow
Old 01-10-17, 02:18 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I'm interested to know why, is it the V6? I'm a long time LS lover and owner too and the only impediment for me is the V6.
Yes, mainly the V6TT, I won't settle anything less than a V8TT. Actually I am more interested in S63, or M760Li, but a good new LS could get me back to Lexus because

the 'love' factor. However, I can't stand a little V6 under the hood.

I can understand why Lexus is doing it, but at least offer big engines for people to choose from.

Another thing is, the overall shape reminds me an Infiniti M56, which is not exactly a flagship car.

All previous LS were love on the first look, and I can drool over the pictures for hours, but I can't do it with the new one.
Old 01-10-17, 02:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I can dig it, I feel the same way.
Old 01-10-17, 02:51 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The more I look at it and read about specs I just don't care for it. It leaves me no desire to buy it or really want one, the S class does even though I think it is way too expensive but this LS leave me kind of cold. The interior is a big disappointment, it does not seem like a flagship or S class competitor interior but something much lower end, it just seems kind of plain in some areas like the dash and then over styled in other areas like with the wood trim and around the gauges/instrument cluster, I don't like the instrument cluster at all. I like both versions of the LS460 interior more even though it may not be as swoopy or have as nice materials, it still looks more upscale to me.

The one thing I do like is the passenger seems to get their own screen, this is something I think should be on more luxury cars where the passenger can get a screen canted toward them or facing them in front of them where they can watch movies, go online, play games, etc and not distract the driver or use the main driver screen, if it is capable do doing that then that is impressive to me. The tt V6 replacing the V8 is disappointing but BMW and Audi also now have 6 cylinders standard in their flagships too.

The exterior is hard to gauge, looks okay from some angles but something is off from other angles, has more of a Maxima look but longer and with a production ride height it may end up very odd looking.

I just don't see anything about this new LS that would justify a rumored 90K price or almost 20K jump above the current standard price, from what I am seeing I don't think the base price should even change much from the current one considering you are now getting a 6 cyl instead of a V8, if this is priced at or around 90K I think it is going to be a very low seller along with the LC500.
Old 01-10-17, 02:59 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

As far as pricing is concerned, I would assume it'll be priced to compete with the segment. The 740i starts around $82k I think. The 6 cylinder A8 is about $84k to start. I'm not sure how much the S450 is going to cost.
Old 01-10-17, 03:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The B58 Inline 6 is a new engine and it definitely is not pedestrian.
The HP/Torque figures that BMW publishes for all their engines are significantly underrated which has been proven by independent dyno #s and test figures.
True they do underrate their engines but if 320hp and 332lbft is pretty much true WHP, then flywheel still won't be 416hp and 442lbft. Probably more like 360hp.

Also inline 6s have been proven to be the smoothest and most refined comparable to V8s.
MB will be switching to inline 6 turbo as well.
Agreed they are smooth. Lexus and Toyota aren't strangers to inline sixes, but they do use the V configuration likely for packaging and weight. At least the Lexus will be 3.5L in displacement compared to all the competitors 3.0's. Should help with it be less strained.

Also even though the 6cyl has been offered by BMW for several years and is cheaper, the V8 is still the popular choice for customers - this shows you that V8s are still important in this class as a form of luxury and prestige owners expect.

In NY the new 7 is everwhere, i have not seen one 740i yet.
I never said V8's aren't important. Very much so. All I said was the 3.5L TTV6 was a good base engine. Not sure why people are worrying so much. A V6 WON'T be the only engine offered on the LS.
Old 01-10-17, 03:52 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
This is a cop out from Lexus/Toyota IMO, not a real LS. When the LS debuted back in 1990, it was measurably better in every way than the top of the line Benz, BMW, Audi, Cadillac or Lincoln, it was the standard of the world. Not to mention it undercut the Germans on price by a good margin.
If I asked you right now, what exactly needs to happen for this Lexus to be "measurably better" in every way over all of those brands, you wouldn't even know how to respond to that because you haven't driven the car, you haven't even seen it in person.

Same goes for a lot of the "piling on" bashing going on in this thread. I see a lot of superficial criticisms and a lot of that appears to be just for the sake of being anti.

I'm not saying we should all praise it based on no merits but at least wait until an actual driving review comes out before going full ape on a car you really have no understanding about.

For now, the only thing we know about it is how it looks and some of its performance and dimensional specs. There is absolutely no way for anyone here to say if it is or isn't "measurably better in every way" than it's competition.

Its almost hysterical in here.

Originally Posted by plex
Interesting reactions especially from some that own LS's I'm actually more excited about the TTV6 that Toyota has produced. That motor in a lighter chassis can be really fun. I'm old school Toyota with my GS400 and Supra, but I've been waiting to see what they will bring out. I've also been keeping an eye on R35 GTR prices but hoping Toyota does something new and this may be it. Fingers crossed ok carry on ha ha.
I've also seen some RX owners on CL stirred up in again, a hysterical fashion, over the new RX radical/emotional styling. Just because somebody drives the car of the last generation, doesn't mean they're the same customer to go with the brand in the future. Believe it or not it is difficult for a lot of people to embrace change. You also have those who are going to be naturally peeved that their car isn't the newest model anymore and will actively bring down the new model to make themselves feel better.

The car industry is notorious for focus grouping before and during the design of cars, I don't think a company like Toyota/Lexus would continue to execute on cars with features and design cues that people didn't naturally like, whether consciously or sub-consciously.

How many people bashed the NX here when the concept was first unveiled, then look what happened....

Last edited by G Star; 01-10-17 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-10-17, 04:14 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
Ok all you who are bashing really need to stop, every reviewer is giving the car such great feedback and how it's on par with Germans if not better. Now I just feel you guys are bashing for the he'll of it.
seriously? Why do you think we are actually on the Lexus forum? It's because we are or have been fans of the brand. As I stated in a previous response, I've owned three Lexus, and have one now. I'll bash the LS if I want to. That is not your call.
Old 01-10-17, 04:35 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
True they do underrate their engines but if 320hp and 332lbft is pretty much true WHP, then flywheel still won't be 416hp and 442lbft. Probably more like 360hp.

Agreed they are smooth. Lexus and Toyota aren't strangers to inline sixes, but they do use the V configuration likely for packaging and weight. At least the Lexus will be 3.5L in displacement compared to all the competitors 3.0's. Should help with it be less strained.

I never said V8's aren't important. Very much so. All I said was the 3.5L TTV6 was a good base engine. Not sure why people are worrying so much. A V6 WON'T be the only engine offered on the LS.
Ok i see your points.

I agree with you that this TT V6 looks to be great when you compare it to the competition 6cyl offerings.
Hopefully the IS RC GS and LC will get it soon.
Old 01-10-17, 04:35 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,696 Likes on 2,282 Posts

No standard V8 to me is a betrayal of the cars heritage.
Old 01-10-17, 04:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Not anyplace I can now but look at comments on Jalopnik, Autoblog, MBWorld...usually savage about Lexus.
i just finished browsing the w222 forum on mbworld, i have to wonder what part of mbworld you went. they downright think the new LS is terrible

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Yes, mainly the V6TT, I won't settle anything less than a V8TT. Actually I am more interested in S63, or M760Li, but a good new LS could get me back to Lexus because

the 'love' factor. However, I can't stand a little V6 under the hood.

I can understand why Lexus is doing it, but at least offer big engines for people to choose from.

Another thing is, the overall shape reminds me an Infiniti M56, which is not exactly a flagship car.

All previous LS were love on the first look, and I can drool over the pictures for hours, but I can't do it with the new one.
we share a lot of the same thoughts here. i have been thinking about this for the past day about the new LS. people know i have been with lexus for a very long time, i am on my 8th already.

i am having very mixed feeling about this car. it has more style in certain angles, but at the same time i think it looks too much like some other cars like the XJ. i really want the LS to stay in the boxy large sedan form (s and 7). the front i am just not sure, i get it lexus wants the biggest grille out there and they want the brand to get younger, but i am really not sure if this is the right way to do it. inside is beautiful overall, i don't have much complaints.

the engine is a problem to me (on paper). yes it has over 400 hp, but i am sure the car won't be light and i have to drive it in person to see what the car can deliver. but GIVE PEOPLE OPTION!!!! in today's world, give the flagships v8 (or i should say v8tt). true consumers in this market they have the money and they want to be up there, they are not like 90% of the remaining people who have to think about oh umm how much i can safe if they give me a v6 instead.

i have to be honest, after driving our gl550 with the v8tt, i really feel a little sour when i get back in my gs350. the gs350 is not sluggish at all, it's pretty quick. but you just can't replace that feeling of having a silky smooth and yet extremely powerful engine that hardly have to go over 3000rpm.
Old 01-10-17, 05:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
The car industry is notorious for focus grouping before and during the design of cars, I don't think a company like Toyota/Lexus would continue to execute on cars with features and design cues that people didn't naturally like, whether consciously or sub-consciously.
I get what you're saying...and I've served on focus panels myself. But the results of focus panels don't always determine what decisions companies actually make. An excellent example......look how long Acura stuck with parrot-beak grilles, when the public clearly didn't care for them, and Acura sales plummeted. It got to the point where Acura dealerships were having to repaint the parrot-beaks body-color just so they could actually deliver new vehicles...otherwise some customers simply weren't accepting them.

How many people bashed the NX here when the concept was first unveiled, then look what happened....
I didn't care for it at first, either its looks or road manners, and still don't. But, of course, that doesn't mean that it won't sell. In fact, it is selling pretty well....even without my money LOL.
Old 01-10-17, 05:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
i just finished browsing the w222 forum on mbworld, i have to wonder what part of mbworld you went. they downright think the new LS is terrible
Heard secondhand that feedback on MBWorld was positive, hadn't looked myself. What I had seen that really surprised me was the comments on Jalopnik and Autoblog were as positive as they were, usually they're really hard in Lexus. Haven't looked since yesterday though.
Old 01-10-17, 05:21 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Heard secondhand that feedback on MBWorld was positive, hadn't looked myself. What I had seen that really surprised me was the comments on Jalopnik and Autoblog were as positive as they were, usually they're really hard in Lexus. Haven't looked since yesterday though.
Originally Posted by rominl
i just finished browsing the w222 forum on mbworld, i have to wonder what part of mbworld you went. they downright think the new LS is terriblewe share a lot of the same thoughts here. i have been thinking about this for the past day about the new LS. people know i have been with lexus for a very long time, i am on my 8th already.

i am having very mixed feeling about this car. it has more style in certain angles, but at the same time i think it looks too much like some other cars like the XJ. i really want the LS to stay in the boxy large sedan form (s and 7). the front i am just not sure, i get it lexus wants the biggest grille out there and they want the brand to get younger, but i am really not sure if this is the right way to do it. inside is beautiful overall, i don't have much complaints.

the engine is a problem to me (on paper). yes it has over 400 hp, but i am sure the car won't be light and i have to drive it in person to see what the car can deliver. but GIVE PEOPLE OPTION!!!! in today's world, give the flagships v8 (or i should say v8tt). true consumers in this market they have the money and they want to be up there, they are not like 90% of the remaining people who have to think about oh umm how much i can safe if they give me a v6 instead.

i have to be honest, after driving our gl550 with the v8tt, i really feel a little sour when i get back in my gs350. the gs350 is not sluggish at all, it's pretty quick. but you just can't replace that feeling of having a silky smooth and yet extremely powerful engine that hardly have to go over 3000rpm.
Little do they know the new s class is the most overrated car ever, now esp since every Mercedes looks identical. There's nothing about the s class that is best in class. You can get a class now and there you have a s class at half the price, very uninspired.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)