Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 09:37 AM
Lead Lap

Received 748 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
whether a lexus ls is reliable after 10 years is totally irrelevant to its sales success.
disagree. If Lexus proves to be unreliable in 10 years you think people would still buy them? Don't forget what made Lexus a brand, it was reliability and refinement and not styling introduced by the 1989 Ls 400. If I wanted a cool but unreliable car I go get a BMW.
Old 01-10-17, 09:50 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Interesting reactions especially from some that own LS's I'm actually more excited about the TTV6 that Toyota has produced. That motor in a lighter chassis can be really fun. I'm old school Toyota with my GS400 and Supra, but I've been waiting to see what they will bring out. I've also been keeping an eye on R35 GTR prices but hoping Toyota does something new and this may be it. Fingers crossed ok carry on ha ha.
Old 01-10-17, 10:00 AM
Bogglo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't think you get the point. That is exactly the point of the V8.....smoothness, quiet, and refinement. We're talking an LS V8 here, not for a Corvette or Dodge Viper.
since we haven't seen or heard about the driving review I wont comment on smoothness but I trust Lexus to deliver. As for quiet I think a v6 is more quiet and for been refined the air suspension and all the other suspension tuning should be able to deliver that. am just trying to look at it from lexus view. left with me just like you I would like a V8 just for the ease of working on the engine.

and like you mentioned about the dodge viper and corvette I think that's why Lexus left the V8 in the LC. just a side note on one of Toyota's website they went into a little detail on what they did with that V6 engine before throwing the turbo on it.
Old 01-10-17, 10:00 AM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 703
disagree. If Lexus proves to be unreliable in 10 years you think people would still buy them? Don't forget what made Lexus a brand, it was reliability and refinement and not styling introduced by the 1989 Ls 400. If I wanted a cool but unreliable car I go get a BMW.
As much as reliability is a big selling point for Lexus, I would have to agree with bitkahuna...most people leasing could care less about the car after the 3-4 years they had it for, which is why most buyers in this realm lease their vehicle and not buy, and Lexus is no exception. If you're leasing, you care about NOW and not 10 years down the line when you've already moved on to something new.

Obviously, it makes the CPO cars look better than ze Germans, but for the lease term, reliability isn't the top priority of most owners given that they have a warranty and dealer experience of being pampered no matter the brand.
Old 01-10-17, 10:06 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure about the cowl 'horns'

Those are atrocious, what do they control?

I can't believe they included a trackpad. It better be better than the one I have.

Over all my reaction is the exterior looks like every other Lexus sedan, it has no character. The interior in the other hand looks beautiful except for those buffalo horns and the trackpad. What is the swirly thing above the glovebox?

I'm underwhelmed. Here's hoping seeing the real thing will be better than photos.
Old 01-10-17, 10:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

The "horns" control the chassis/suspension settings, traction control/snow mode.
Old 01-10-17, 10:40 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it just me or did Lexus PR screw up and release the LS hybrid prematurely?
http://www.evo.co.uk/lexus/18694/201...-in-pictures#9
Old 01-10-17, 10:53 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Is it just me or did Lexus PR screw up and release the LS hybrid prematurely?
http://www.evo.co.uk/lexus/18694/201...-in-pictures#9
I don't think it's really a screw up. But those are definitely hybrid interior pics with the EV mode, etc.

Gas car retains the Prius type shifter toggle.
Old 01-10-17, 11:04 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

TT V6 now. If sales disappoint, hello V8.
Old 01-10-17, 11:05 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I don't think it's really a screw up. But those are definitely hybrid interior pics with the EV mode, etc.

Gas car retains the Prius type shifter toggle.
I'm saying it's a screw-up because the LS hybrid is not mentioned anywhere in this world debut. The PR team may very well have mixed up the tons of LS photos they have without realizing that the interior of the LS hybrid was included by accident.
Old 01-10-17, 11:15 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

What exactly about the new Lexus sedans don't have character? What character do those German cars have? There the most bland cars in the road. Back then no one could tell a es from a crowd of cars. But now with the 2016 one I can tell one apart from a good distance.
Old 01-10-17, 11:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I would agree that these new Lexus vehicles have a lot more character than their previous cars. Whether one likes the character or not is one issue, but to say they have no character I don't agree with.
Old 01-10-17, 11:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I would agree that these new Lexus vehicles have a lot more character than their previous cars. Whether one likes the character or not is one issue, but to say they have no character I don't agree with.
Well, discounting the noticeably stiffer rides on many newer Lexus products (which is mainly a result of the wheels/tires, and, to a lesser extent, the suspension) most of the so-called "character" seems to be in the big spindles up front. You are correct that one usually likes it or hates it.....with little middle ground.
Old 01-10-17, 11:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
disagree. If Lexus proves to be unreliable in 10 years you think people would still buy them?
yes. evidence: s-class, 7 series, audi a8, jaguar xj, and on and on, lol...

Don't forget what made Lexus a brand, it was reliability and refinement and not styling introduced by the 1989 Ls 400.
what made the 1989 ls400 a hit was luxury, refinement, quality, AND price, getting s-class buyers to take a chance and most loved it.

If I wanted a cool but unreliable car I go get a BMW.
not judging you, but have you bought any year brand new LS? if not, you're not the target.

Originally Posted by TRDRAV4
As much as reliability is a big selling point for Lexus, I would have to agree with bitkahuna...most people leasing could care less about the car after the 3-4 years they had it for, which is why most buyers in this realm lease their vehicle and not buy, and Lexus is no exception. If you're leasing, you care about NOW and not 10 years down the line when you've already moved on to something new.

Obviously, it makes the CPO cars look better than ze Germans, but for the lease term, reliability isn't the top priority of most owners given that they have a warranty and dealer experience of being pampered no matter the brand.
Old 01-10-17, 12:12 PM
amphiprion
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This hopefully looks better in person than in pictures, which is typical for the LS. Previously, the size of the LS size has made up and even complimented its understated design. With the 2018, I'm hoping its size will give enough room for that spindle grill.

Other visual concerns: One of the distinguishing traits of a flagship model has been relatively large headlamp and taillight assemblies compared to its lesser models. The headlights in the 2018 are diminutive, and do not particularly make it stand out from all the other Lexus siblings. This is especially noticeable from front 3/4s http://roa.h-cdn.co/assets/17/02/768...8-39-02-am.jpg . I echo all the other cons about the rear taillights, instead of Lexus LC, I think 2016 Nissan Maxima.

I'm also not feeling the the hellboy horn controls on the dash, use of the NX-type Remote Touch Interface and the line that the top of the three overlapping door panels make.
But I do think it is interesting that people will be losing their theater tickets in the full-length vent design.

This is only the second Lexus interior I didn't instantly like from pictures (Other is the 2013 GS).

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)