Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 06:59 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
The car is obviously lowered in all of the press photos. I can't even begin to think what it will look like with their signature 4x4 stance.

the car is going to be lower than the current for sure, with suspension to raise it at entry/exits - i believe i skimmed that in the C&D article
Old 01-09-17, 07:06 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I think you guys are being a little harsh lol.

I'm not sure what everybody was expecting? To me it looks like the concept restrained into the confines of what is reasonable to expect 60+ year old men to want to drop $90,000 on. The interior looks to be incredibly high quality, there are a lot of new design themes for Lexus in a production car outside of the LC. Surprised that Lexus chose to use the trackpad controller vs the mouse, so much for the idea that the mouse would remain on "legacy" models. I see unique touches in speaker grilles and things instead of mimicking the stainless look everybody uses. Disappointed the swath along the vent line in the dash is not wood, but material quality looks really excellent, everything looks to be covered in stictched pleather or leather.

In person the car will look much better, as all Lexus models do. The size of it will dispel any similarity to a Maxima or anything like that.

What troubles me most is that we have a 3.5L V6 in an "LS500". To me that just shows Lexus knows the embarrassment of having only V6 power in that they were afraid to own that and stick to their historic model nomenclature. This should be an LS350t. Its like the factory swapped the badges like some poser. They should have dropped the numbers altogether and just called it "LS" if they didn't have the courage to own the V6 choice. How does it make sense to have a 5.0L V8 LC500 and a 3.5L TT LS500?!?

Will I buy one? I'd buy the car yeah, I like the looks of it and the interior. Will I be able to deal with no V8? Thats the question. Will it start in the high 70s and be available well equipped for mid 80s? If so...maybe. If its going to be priced like V8 entries than no.

IMHO this is a huge improvement over my car everywhere but the drivetrain. We'll see how it drives, if it stays on the luxury side of things or if it rides more like a Jag XJ.
curious as to what is the telling difference for you for a luxury v8? it's little to no resemblance of anything muscle car-ish, it's overly refined in these luxury vehicles to just let you experience the power of it and not much else (no rumble, etc)- same instance of the v6TT, however the TT will pretty much kick you into your seat if the tune is right, albeit this may be refined as well for gradualness like the v8 motors are.

personally its a moot-point for me in this class when the performance is identical if not better
Old 01-09-17, 07:07 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Yay for wifi on the plane.

Originally Posted by G Star
Don't know what the drama is all about. Oh wait yes I do. There will always be the overreactions in the beginning, all normal.

The LS looks very Japanese and sporty. Exactly what those who have been following the LS are expecting. Its not like most of you didn't see the concept before....
This actually deviated from the concept a fair amount. Actually since I believe this was designed before the concept, I should say the concept was far more expressive in the front and rear, imo. It's appropriate they toned it down given the people who buy these. As I said yesterday, I think this styling is definitely not for me. I do, however, think it'll have plenty of presence in person; more so than the next-gen A8 from what I've seen.

I think you guys are being a little harsh lol.

I'm not sure what everybody was expecting? To me it looks like the concept restrained into the confines of what is reasonable to expect 60+ year old men to want to drop $90,000 on. The interior looks to be incredibly high quality, there are a lot of new design themes for Lexus in a production car outside of the LC. Surprised that Lexus chose to use the trackpad controller vs the mouse, so much for the idea that the mouse would remain on "legacy" models. I see unique touches in speaker grilles and things instead of mimicking the stainless look everybody uses. Disappointed the swath along the vent line in the dash is not wood, but material quality looks really excellent, everything looks to be covered in stictched pleather or leather.

In person the car will look much better, as all Lexus models do. The size of it will dispel any similarity to a Maxima or anything like that.
I think the disappointment is that it wasn't a groundbreaking Lexus in the way that the LC500 is. While no one should've expected to be as wildly styled as that car, I think people will looking for a car that was indisputably it's own design, instead of somewhat derivative. I do think people will be more happy with the styling in person even if I think it could've been better.

Last edited by TangoRed; 01-09-17 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-09-17, 07:08 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Wonder if the Turbo V6 will find it's way to other models.
Old 01-09-17, 07:12 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I am just happy that we now have the 3.5 turbo V6 and that can find it's way into the GS and IS
Old 01-09-17, 07:13 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

There's just a level of smoothness that extra cylinders provide that turbos just can't match. I haven't driven the IS200t yet (I have driven the NX200t so I'm basing some of it on that), but as slow as the old 250 was, it had a very linear and predictable power curve.
Old 01-09-17, 07:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by baddis es
curious as to what is the telling difference for you for a luxury v8? it's little to no resemblance of anything muscle car-ish, it's overly refined in these luxury vehicles to just let you experience the power of it and not much else (no rumble, etc)- same instance of the v6TT, however the TT will pretty much kick you into your seat if the tune is right, albeit this may be refined as well for gradualness like the v8 motors are.

personally its a moot-point for me in this class when the performance is identical if not better
Its not about performance. Like Allen said, theres a difference in smoothness and refinement in a V8 that you just don't feel in a turbo 6. I haven't sampled this turbo 6, but if BMW hasn't gotten it yet I doubt they have. In a flagship prestige car there should be a feel of "excess". Lexus knows it too, thats why they lied on the nameplate. Thats why the engine cover says "TWIN TURBO" and not "V6". Current engine cover says "V8".

I think the disappointment is that it wasn't a groundbreaking Lexus in the way that the LC500 is. While no one should've expected to be as wildly styled as that car, I think people will looking for a car that was indisputably it's own design, instead of somewhat derivative. I do think people will be more happy with the styling in person even if I think it could've been better.
But people have to understand that the LS is not a niche coupe like the LC. They can take chances with the LC they can't take with the LS. Some of it is a function of physics...people don't like the added bulk outside...well if you want the interior to be wide, spacious and luxurious you can't have the deep scooping you saw on the flanks of the concept. People will put up with a level of reduced space for style in a niche coupe they won't in a flagship luxury sedan.

They took a good many chances. The IP setup is 100% unheard of in a luxury sedan. Dash layout is very unique and a big departure from Lexus' of old. The taillight treatment out of the LC is a new design cue that is polarizing like the spindle.

I actually like it outside more than I thought I would.
Old 01-09-17, 07:24 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
There's just a level of smoothness that extra cylinders provide that turbos just can't match. I haven't driven the IS200t yet (I have driven the NX200t so I'm basing some of it on that), but as slow as the old 250 was, it had a very linear and predictable power curve.

i dont know - the lag instances have become almost non-existent on the turbo models today, so it's instant thrust from WOT (and even more with a TT design. i guess the reviews and test drives will tell, but it's almost a moot-point and more of a mind-game internally from my view. Lexus won't introduce a vehicle at this range with a standard level engine feel/response, it will be refined to the point of irrelevance where the excitement of power leaves you with little to worry over the amount of cylinders under the hood.
Old 01-09-17, 07:28 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Its not about performance. Like Allen said, theres a difference in smoothness and refinement in a V8 that you just don't feel in a turbo 6. I haven't sampled this turbo 6, but if BMW hasn't gotten it yet I doubt they have. In a flagship prestige car there should be a feel of "excess". Lexus knows it too, thats why they lied on the nameplate. Thats why the engine cover says "TWIN TURBO" and not "V6". Current engine cover says "V8".

But people have to understand that the LS is not a niche coupe like the LC. They can take chances with the LC they can't take with the LS. Some of it is a function of physics...people don't like the added bulk outside...well if you want the interior to be wide, spacious and luxurious you can't have the deep scooping you saw on the flanks of the concept. People will put up with a level of reduced space for style in a niche coupe they won't in a flagship luxury sedan.

They took a good many chances. The IP setup is 100% unheard of in a luxury sedan. Dash layout is very unique and a big departure from Lexus' of old. The taillight treatment out of the LC is a new design cue that is polarizing like the spindle.

I actually like it outside more than I thought I would.

bwm has got it almost perfect, the B58 motor is amazing - however that is a straight 6 vs a V6 in the Lexus. we shall see, but i put my faith in Lexus doing what it takes to get that level of refinement.
Old 01-09-17, 07:35 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I guess no one considered the pricing. starts $20k cheaper than 750 and S class

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news

With the size, the presence, and the lavish interior of a true flagship sedan, expect the 2018 LS’s price point to rise accordingly. It’s currently a bargain alternative to the Germans, with its starting MSRP of $73,495, but the new model’s starting cost should rise closer to six figures, as have the S550 (base price, $97,525) and 750i (base price, $95,595). The LS500 will go on sale by the end of 2017.
Old 01-09-17, 07:36 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
I guess no one considered the pricing. starts $20k cheaper than 750 and S class

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news
Re-read that post. They don't have the MSRP yet, they're expecting it to be closer to the S550.
Old 01-09-17, 07:39 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again the ls is a different bread of car, so sexy inside out. If this is Lexus's new design for their cars I'm all for it. This just makes me want my lease on my 16 es to end now, as I believe this is what the new es will follow.
Old 01-09-17, 07:39 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I love the front, especially the running lights. I am one who likes the spindle grills, and I feel that they've executed well on this one. The rear is a little tamer than I thought it might be, and I like it. I'll have to work on the straight-on side profile, as the window in the C pillar bugs me, though I suspect I'll get used to it.

The interior, well, in my opinion they knocked that out of the park.

I have no issues with the TTV6, though I do find the naming of it as an LS500 to be interesting, when the LC500 just debuted with the V8. I was expecting there to be an LS350t and an LS500.

Overall, I like it and think it'll do well for the brand.
Old 01-09-17, 07:47 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by baddis es
i dont know - the lag instances have become almost non-existent on the turbo models today, so it's instant thrust from WOT (and even more with a TT design. i guess the reviews and test drives will tell, but it's almost a moot-point and more of a mind-game internally from my view. Lexus won't introduce a vehicle at this range with a standard level engine feel/response, it will be refined to the point of irrelevance where the excitement of power leaves you with little to worry over the amount of cylinders under the hood.
Yeah, it's tough to describe and neither is bad, it's just a different execution - kind of like how those old BMWs had soul when they lost a bunch of objective measures in head to head comparisons To be honest, it's probably more familiarity than anything else.

90% of the buyers of this car won't care of they have a TTV6 or V8 in there anyway
Old 01-09-17, 07:47 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This is like the Cadillac CT6 or whatever it's called. A cop-out. Who wants to spend $90k (assuming that's what it costs) on a V6 engined car when you can spend nearly the same on a nice V8?

The only way this thing sells imo is if it's priced $70k. In fact it should be less. However, the catch-22 of this is that it greatly cheapens the model.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)