Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

anyone holding off car purchase for future infotainment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-14, 05:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Default anyone holding off car purchase for future infotainment?

there's many new great vehicles out there, but i think there will be dramatic improvements in the infotainment/nav systems in the next couple of years, particularly because of apple and google's big initiatives to provide a more seamless, user-friendly, and upgradable experience. seems like anyone buying now is likely to be out of luck on these innovations.

anyone else have the same concerns and is maybe holding off because of them?
Old 07-22-14, 06:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

If I knew CarPlay was going to be on the 2016 GS I might hold off. Still have to hope that the 2015 model gets the Gen8 Navi.
Old 07-22-14, 06:31 PM
CBlack0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
there's many new great vehicles out there, but i think there will be dramatic improvements in the infotainment/nav systems in the next couple of years, particularly because of apple and google's big initiatives to provide a more seamless, user-friendly, and upgradable experience. seems like anyone buying now is likely to be out of luck on these innovations.

I wish I would have seen this earlier then I would have definitely held off. Maybe I'll have to do a trade-in...lol
Old 07-22-14, 06:53 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The other trend in technology is that more and more people are working remotely these days. I haven't communted for 8 years. So, the way the car looks and drives is a lot more important to me when going to the grocery store than whether it is a rolling web browser. I like to drive to get away from the internet for a while. So, no, I won't wait.
Old 07-22-14, 06:56 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^+1

Mobile apps/connectivity in a car is low priority for me as well. In Canada for instance, we don't even get Enform and I don't ache for it. What's important to me is vehicle design, quality and ride.

Edit: To the OP, I would not wait. In fact, I've put a deposit on the NX which will have just the usual tech.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 07-22-14 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-22-14, 07:00 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^+1

Mobile apps/connectivity in a car is low priority for me as well. In Canada for instance, we don't even get Enform and I don't ache for it. What's important to me is vehicle design, quality and ride.
Thanks. Glad I'm not the only one who still likes the basics. Chevrolet is already advertising that some of their cars are "rolling hot spots", so I'm glad I don't commute anymore. Too many people already swerving out of their lanes while texting.
Attached Thumbnails anyone holding off car purchase for future infotainment?-texting-driver.png  

Last edited by dseag2; 07-22-14 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-22-14, 07:13 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^Yeah, agree. I think we can all cut the umbilical cord to our smart phones for just a 30 minute commute to work or a 10 minute drive to your local grocery store.

Off topic but related. I can even pass on all the driver aids you get in cars nowadays, especially the S-class (practically drives itself). I just want to drive and enjoy my car, and not be distracted in it or be driven by it.
Old 07-22-14, 07:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
... So, the way the car looks and drives is a lot more important to me when going to the grocery store than whether it is a rolling web browser. I like to drive to get away from the internet for a while. So, no, I won't wait.

Edit: To the OP, I would not wait. In fact, I've put a deposit on the NX which will have just the usual tech.
i understand where you guys are coming from, and i could definitely do WITHOUT navigation in a car for example, as my phone does an awesome job. the problem is car makers package all these features with improved 'trim' bits, including typically nicer wheels, maybe nicer lights, better audio, etc.

so you often have to take the tech stuff if you want the nicer trim.

Originally Posted by dseag2
Glad I'm not the only one who still likes the basics ...
define 'basics'. what tech will you still expect?
Old 07-22-14, 07:50 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

i understand where you guys are coming from, and i could definitely do WITHOUT navigation in a car for example, as my phone does an awesome job. the problem is car makers package all these features with improved 'trim' bits, including typically nicer wheels, maybe nicer lights, better audio, etc.

so you often have to take the tech stuff if you want the nicer trim.
Unfortunately yes. The NX 200t F-Sport I want for instance is with the Series 2 package (in Canada). I want it just for the Heads-Up Display (I find very convenient in my RX F-Sport) and the Adaptive Variable Suspension. The rest like Pre-collision, dynamic radar cruise, Lane departure alert, that come with this package, are all features I will turn off as I've read scary close call stories in the GS forum (I believe it was). This package also comes with the wireless phone charger which will only encourage further ease of use (and use) of a mobile device.
Old 07-22-14, 07:59 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I don't ever hold off on something I want to buy because something better maybe coming in a year or two. That will always be the case with any technology. So you would never buy anything if you lived by that.

Of course if you knew the next model was going to have a "must have" feature for you, then that would be appropriate to wait.
Old 07-22-14, 10:24 PM
Hoovey689

^^^+1

But you're gaining a phone charginging system, new RTI, new turbo and 6AT, and height adjustable lift gate. Some not so usual stuff to Lexus
Old 07-23-14, 03:55 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^Hoovey, true, I'm anxious for the new smooth turbo four which refers to my mechanical enjoyment more than the infotainment/tech in the car. RTI Touchpad, yes, will be nice too. BUT, can you believe the top-of the-line F-Sport ($50K+ Cdn) has all the bells and whistles more than I expected like Park Assist, RCTA, BSM, LDA, Radar Cruise/Pre-Collision, even HUD and AVS, MINUS the memory package AND the power liftgate, the two latter features being the one I use and care for the most on my RX F-Sport? I somewhat expected the Memory package to be missing like they've done with the IS F-Sport, but the power liftgate, really? I've asked my sales rep to confirm with the higher Ups since he's incredulous just as I on the packaging omission, but something tells me it won't be there on the F-Sport.

So to the theme of this thread. I'd postpone my purchase for a power liftgate though!
Old 07-23-14, 07:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

can you believe the top-of the-line F-Sport ($50K+ Cdn) has all the bells and whistles ... MINUS the memory package AND the power liftgate, the two latter features being the one I use and care for the most on my RX F-Sport? I somewhat expected the Memory package to be missing like they've done with the IS F-Sport, but the power liftgate, really?
lexus market research indicated that f-sport buyers don't want to look like soccer moms using a power liftgate and would prefer to bulge their gym-inflated biceps aggressively in their tight fitting black t-shirt while lifting the back door.
Old 07-23-14, 11:31 AM
Hoovey689

^^^Hoovey, true, I'm anxious for the new smooth turbo four which refers to my mechanical enjoyment more than the infotainment/tech in the car. RTI Touchpad, yes, will be nice too. BUT, can you believe the top-of the-line F-Sport ($50K+ Cdn) has all the bells and whistles more than I expected like Park Assist, RCTA, BSM, LDA, Radar Cruise/Pre-Collision, even HUD and AVS, MINUS the memory package AND the power liftgate, the two latter features being the one I use and care for the most on my RX F-Sport? I somewhat expected the Memory package to be missing like they've done with the IS F-Sport, but the power liftgate, really? I've asked my sales rep to confirm with the higher Ups since he's incredulous just as I on the packaging omission, but something tells me it won't be there on the F-Sport.

So to the theme of this thread. I'd postpone my purchase for a power liftgate though!
You don't get a 'power liftgate'?! Sorry dude . My previous point was wasn't even about the power part of the lift gate, but the fact the NX is the first Lexus (stateside at least) to get a 'height adjustable' lift gate which you can change the lift height in the Lexus Personalized settings under Setup and Vehicle.
Old 07-23-14, 12:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

seems like anyone buying now is likely to be out of luck on these innova.ons.

This is some poor thinking. And here is why:

Toyota/Lexus products that are new, like my 14 Corolla are now being built with future upgrades in mind. The new Toyota and Lexus vehicles are software upgradable, you can add almost anything to the software programing.

Quick Reply: anyone holding off car purchase for future infotainment?