Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2014 Acura RLX

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-14, 02:32 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus better be worried because soon Acura will strike with their technologically & aesthetically impressive TLX

Old 07-19-14, 06:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
Another great review man!
Thanks....glad you enjoyed it.

It probably cost more to make a smooth, well insulated car with premium materials than a "sports luxury" car
Hard to tell. Yes, Insulation materials and good padding for the seats costs money. So do nice trim materials inside. But, in general, larger, sport-oriented wheels and tires often cost more than those designed for ride-comfort. Sport-oriented suspensions and shocks sometimes cost more. So, of course, in general, do larger and/or more complex engines and drivetrains.

Lexus better be worried because soon Acura will strike with their technologically & aesthetically impressive TLX
If the past is any guide (which it not always is), the TLX is likely to sell in higher numbers than the RLX. But Lexus is so big, in comparison to Acura, that I don't think they really have much to worry about.

I will admit, though, that the new TLX, even with that stubborn parrot-beak up front, looks a lot better than the last version, which, IMO, bordered on ludicrous.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-19-14 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-19-14, 11:26 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good luck. They may not be easy to find.
I'm not worried, we have an Acura store next door
Old 07-19-14, 11:35 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

i mean, it's not a bad looking car, but... why lexus should worry about it?
Old 07-19-14, 11:39 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dseag2
Thanks, Mike Marshall. I traded in a great '04 Acura TL for an '05 RL. The dealer gave me a deal I couldn't refuse. You're right. It was vault-like in its quality and the interior was quite nice. The paint on the car was incredible by today's standards. The SH-AWD was also great when taking sweeping corners at speed. Aside from that, it felt pretty much like a nose-heavy, FWD car.

I think the reasons it didn't sell were because 1) it looked too much like it belonged in the Honda family and 2) it looked small, even though I believe the dimensions were the same as the E Class, 5 Series, etc. at that time. The design just made it look smaller. I had a business colleague that had the first gen RL, traded for an E Class, and felt the '05 RL was too small.

My personal challenge was that Acura had multiple TSBs on the car due to various first-year issues, and I was tired of visiting the Acura dealer for service . Each time, they would make me fill out a plethora of paperwork for a loaner car that wasn't required by Infiniti or Lexus, so I traded it after 6 months for an Infiniti M45. (Yes, I root for the underdogs!)
i agree. it looked small and looked like this

i gotta give mad props to acura's designers. it takes a lot of skills to make 45-50k car look like 25-30k car.
Old 07-19-14, 12:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'm not worried, we have an Acura store next door
I have three Acura shops within reasonable driving distance (One of them the largest Acura shop on the East Coast), but still had to look for an RLX in stock. What's listed in dealer-inventory (on-line) is not always accurate. Sometimes they are cars that have been ordered, but not arrived yet. Of course, when the hybrid model you want to drive comes out, that may increase the supply some...we'll see.
Old 07-19-14, 03:49 PM
Hoovey689

I have three Acura shops within reasonable driving distance (One of them the largest Acura shop on the East Coast), but still had to look for an RLX in stock. What's listed in dealer-inventory (on-line) is not always accurate. Sometimes they are cars that have been ordered, but not arrived yet. Of course, when the hybrid model you want to drive comes out, that may increase the supply some...we'll see.
We have plenty of P-AWS RLX's currently at our Acura store, they don't sell well . There's a second Acura dealer (under our franchise auto group) about 25miles away who probably has a few too though I never venture that way since I work out of our Lexus store. I asked a friend at Acura to alert me if and when they get a Hybrid RLX. I'll let you know!
Old 07-19-14, 04:05 PM
Hoovey689

Why should Lexus worry? Aesthetics are subjective so no matter what design on a Lexus or Acura, some people won't buy regardless. The technology is much improved on Acura's yes, but then so is Lexus. The German lux makes are cranking out niche vehicles, Jaguar is on a roll with the F-Type and soon baby XE sedan, Lexus on top of a revamped line-up is adding a small ute and coupe and more F, upcoming Volvo products look to be very premium, and even Hyundai's big sedans have shown you can get the goods while still getting a value. The success of the TLX is important to Acura sure, but with a product onslaught from everyone else I doubt the TLX will impact most major competitors overall sales. In the end better cars and stiffer competiton means the consumer wins.
Old 07-19-14, 05:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Why should Lexus worry? Aesthetics are subjective so no matter what design on a Lexus or Acura, some people won't buy regardless. The technology is much improved on Acura's yes, but then so is Lexus. The German lux makes are cranking out niche vehicles, Jaguar is on a roll with the F-Type and soon baby XE sedan, Lexus on top of a revamped line-up is adding a small ute and coupe and more F, upcoming Volvo products look to be very premium, and even Hyundai's big sedans have shown you can get the goods while still getting a value. The success of the TLX is important to Acura sure, but with a product onslaught from everyone else I doubt the TLX will impact most major competitors overall sales. In the end better cars and stiffer competiton means the consumer wins.
Lexus has nothing to worry about.

In fact, Acura/Buick/Lincoln should be the ones to worry as MB and Audi are now targeting the small premium near luxury cars like the ILX and Verano with the new CLS and A3 sedans.
Old 07-19-14, 06:44 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

RLX Hybrid is being delayed for unknown reasons so they screwed up that one.
Old 07-19-14, 07:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Lexus has nothing to worry about.

In fact, Acura/Buick/Lincoln should be the ones to worry as MB and Audi are now targeting the small premium near luxury cars like the ILX and Verano with the new CLS and A3 sedans.
Lincoln is redundant in the A3/ILX/Verano class...... It has no sedans in that size/price-range to start with. And the ILX is also redundant...it didn't sell even when the A3 wasn't a major factor, so more A3 sales will not likely make much difference (in fact, the ILX may soon be dropped). The new A3 may or may not affect Verano sales (we'll see), as the non-turbo Verano clearly price-undercuts it, while offering a substantially longer warranty than Audi. The Buick warranty equals that of Lexus, Cadillac, Infiniti, and Acura.....none of the Germans do, including BMW and Mercedes.

I agree with you, BTW, that Lexus doesn't have much to worry about from the new TLX (I stated that in an earlier post)......not necessarily because the ES is a better car, but simply because of its long-established and loyal buyer-base. Good as the new TLX might be (and as yowps3 is singing the praises of), the ES is clearly here to stay.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-19-14 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-20-14, 01:23 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Lexus doesn't have much to worry about from the new TLX (I stated that in an earlier post)......not necessarily because the ES is a better car, but simply because of its long-established and loyal buyer-base.[/B]
This is what happens when you consistently build a good product for its intended audience. Regardless of what all of the performance heads say, the ES is a great achievement for Lexus.
Old 07-20-14, 10:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,105 Likes on 1,366 Posts

nice review as always...

when you refer to quietness... how does it compare to your verano or other luxury vehicles you've reviewed? acura is not know for quiet vehicles, but the newest mdx has been well praised for that and i assume this rlx is competitive in that way too, but i don't know.
Old 07-20-14, 01:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jwong77
This is what happens when you consistently build a good product for its intended audience. Regardless of what all of the performance heads say, the ES is a great achievement for Lexus.
Yes, I agree the ES s a good entry-level luxury sedan, simply from being on a Camry platform, if nothing else.......it's hard to go wrong with that. (And it still offers a nice smooth, quiet V6, too...too many sedans today don't).

I'm just not as impressed, overall, with the latest 6Gen version as I was with its predecessors....mainly because of some cost-cutting in sound-insulation, a slightly less-absorbent suspension/ride, and less-solid-feeling sheet metal. (Consumer Reports, BTW, agrees on the noise/ride issue).

And, just for the record, I didn't think the last (5Gen) ES was as well-done as its predecessor 4Gen model, which, to my tastes, was truly superb both inside and out. It was a pleasure to sit in and drive. Its only fly in the ointment, on some versions, was a couple of ECU issues in the programming of the throttle-by-wire and engine/transmission interaction.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-20-14 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-20-14, 01:47 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

If the current gen ES isn't as good as the previous gen, which wasn't as good as the gen before that, I fear the next generation will be held together with bubble gum and duct tape.

Seriously, sales of the ES haven't missed a beat over the generations and they seem to be more than competitive in the marketplace year after year, generation after generation.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2014 Acura RLX