Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mulally wanted to kill Lincoln as late as last year, Fields vows to turn it around

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-14, 08:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
Lincoln needs a Chrysler 300. Call it the Continental, take certain styling cues from 3rd and 4th gen. Have it be a RWD . They have a great existing parts bin, so its not like they would be developing a new car from scratch...
RWD alone won't cut it in that class, though. That's why the 300 has an AWD option (so does the new and even smaller 200, for that matter). Though I hated to see the Town Car and DTS both go, that was one thing that both of them needed but lacked....and what both of their MKS and XTS successors do provide.
Old 07-01-14, 08:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
They do not have their own platform for any of their vehicles, correct? That right there tells you that they are not anywhere close to being competitive with the Germans or even Cadillac.
Well, if it's basic platforms you are concerned with, that is almost (but not quite) the case with Cadillac, too. The RWD/AWD ATS platform is the only one Cadillac uses right now that is unique to the brand, though the next 6th-generation Camaro will reportedly also use it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-01-14 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-01-14, 09:05 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
But they aren't Lincoln reps is my point. They are PR people who specialize in working car shows...they have no more insight into the plans of Lincoln than you or I do.

Anecdotal stories about what people say at car shows don't tell us anything. Lincoln doesn't need gross sales, they need compelling products that will drive a new generation of people to buy their products. The Town Car being gone is not whats stopping them from doing that...they just aren't making products that people want to buy, they have no dealer presence, etc. Look at Cadillac and look at Lincoln. Once peers, no longer peers. Cadillac did away with the Fleetwood, and the DTS, and look at them now.

Theres just no place in the market for a big, body on frame, RWD V8 sedan anymore. Nobody wants that except livery companies and limo companies...and a few retirees who quite frankly are the past, not the future.

Now thats not to say Lincoln doesn't need a nice RWD Flagship...I think they do...but not the TC
After 5 pages of lamenting the TC and loss of fleet sales, thank you for finally chiming in.

As for Lincoln:
Step 1: Build luxury crossover (MKC is a good start)
Step 2: Build entry level sedan/sport sedan people can get excited about (MKZ is not a good start)
Step 3: Build rwd flagship and/or new Navigator
Step 4: Profit

They can fill out the ranks later on, no need to jump into too many models if they're all mediocre. If they cant nail those 3-4 cars then they're gonna have a bad time.
Old 07-02-14, 07:54 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
I think they should have kept Mercury and axed Lincoln. Mercury could have been their Acura/Buick brand (upscale versions of their standard lineup of vehicles). If I'm not mistaken, aren't all Lincolns are based off of existing Ford models? They do not have their own platform for any of their vehicles, correct? That right there tells you that they are not anywhere close to being competitive with the Germans or even Cadillac. Bottom line is they simply haven't invested enough resources into the brand to really compete against the Tier 1 players.
FoMoCo needs to bring Lincoln more upmarket. Once that is achieved Ford can revive the Mercury brand. Have Lincoln compete with Cadi and the big boys and have Mercury compete with Buick Acura etc...
Old 07-02-14, 10:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doge
FoMoCo needs to bring Lincoln more upmarket. Once that is achieved Ford can revive the Mercury brand. Have Lincoln compete with Cadi and the big boys and have Mercury compete with Buick Acura etc...

The big question though, is can Ford afford to have three divisions? One of the ways they avoided a GM/Chrysler-style buyout several years ago was to pare down to two divisions. They sold off all the rest....Mazda, Land-Rover, Jaguar, and Volvo.
Old 07-02-14, 11:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I don't think they need three divisions. Mercury is a needless step brand since modern Fords are pretty ritzy at the top end. They just need to focus on Ford and Lincoln.

I think Lincoln's chances of ever being a legitimate player ended when Ford decided to move Lincoln dealers in with Ford dealers. With that arrangement Lincoln will always be lower tier.
Old 07-02-14, 03:37 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Lincoln has brought back the Town Car for the airport limo trade! It is not the old body on frame car, but a special version of the MKT. The 3rd row seat is removed for more luggage space and the 2nd row is moved aft for more legroom. The eccobost V6 is not available.
Steve
Old 07-02-14, 05:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Lincoln has brought back the Town Car for the airport limo trade! It is not the old body on frame car, but a special version of the MKT. The 3rd row seat is removed for more luggage space and the 2nd row is moved aft for more legroom. The eccobost V6 is not available.
Steve
That's too bad. So the only engine available is the 3.5L V6 or 3.7L 'Cyclone' V6?
Old 07-02-14, 05:43 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Steve
Good point. Sales-wise if things don't change the MKT might go the way of the Town Car.
Old 07-02-14, 06:18 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is so much wrong w/ Lincoln that I don't even know where to start. They've spent so many years building crap that it will take a huge turn around to change people's perceptions.

When I started car shopping for my current car a few months ago, I made a conscious decision to include US automakers in my search and test drive their products. When I told my wife I was going to look at Lincoln, she literally laughed in my face because she thought I was joking. Assuming that she envisioned me driving a TC, I showed her a pic of the MKZ. After seeing it she said something like she'd rather walk than drive w/ me if I bought a Lincoln. She doesn't care what it looks like or how it drives, in her mind, a Lincoln is a car for taxi drivers and pensioners. (Yes, I went to test drive it anyway.)
Old 07-02-14, 06:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksun
There is so much wrong w/ Lincoln that I don't even know where to start. They've spent so many years building crap that it will take a huge turn around to change people's perceptions.

When I started car shopping for my current car a few months ago, I made a conscious decision to include US automakers in my search and test drive their products. When I told my wife I was going to look at Lincoln, she literally laughed in my face because she thought I was joking. Assuming that she envisioned me driving a TC, I showed her a pic of the MKZ. After seeing it she said something like she'd rather walk than drive w/ me if I bought a Lincoln. She doesn't care what it looks like or how it drives, in her mind, a Lincoln is a car for taxi drivers and pensioners. (Yes, I went to test drive it anyway.)
With all due respect, IMO, both you and your wife believe too many stereotypes.
Old 07-02-14, 07:02 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With all due respect, IMO, both you and your wife believe too many stereotypes.
LOL, good one! So your opinion is based on what?

My opinion is based on driving crappy Lincolns rented at airports over the years while I travel for work. #roadwarrior

I have no idea where my wife gets her ideas from.
Old 07-02-14, 07:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksun
LOL, good one! So your opinion is based on what?

My opinion is based on driving crappy Lincolns rented at airports over the years while I travel for work. #roadwarrior

I have no idea where my wife gets her ideas from.
I wasn't trying to be rude.....don't take it the wrong way. And I agree that many Lincoln products are rather unimpressive....I was not thrilled with either the MKT, MKS, MKX, or MKZ when I did full-reviews on all four of them. All four, IMO, were mediocre-driving vehicles.

What I meant by the stereotypes was that, IMO, too many people and too many organizations, even in the auto press itself, come up with pre-conceived notions that certain brands and classes of vehicles are pre-conditioned for certain types of buyer age, gender, or income groups. Examples are small convertibles (especially VWs) for women and gay men, Buicks/Lincolns/Cadillacs for old people, small hybrids for environmentalists, Saabs/Volvos for the academics/professors and lesbians, Porsches and Bentleys for doctors/lawyers, Mercedes S-class for rich guys who play golf, minivans and some larger SUVs or soccer-moms, Corvettes/Vipers/Shelby-Mustangs for Macho WWF guys, BMWs for over-stuffed ego-heads........well, you get the picture.

BTW, the upcoming MKC, a small luxury SUV done off of the Ford Escape platform, shows some REAL promise for Lincoln. I've been very impressed with (admittedly) what little I've seen of it so far.....mostly at the D.C. auto show. I'm eagerly waiting for a chance to review one.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-02-14 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-02-14, 07:20 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I hope the Lincoln Division does well. The competition is good for both consumers and other manufacturers.

Maybe the brand is gaining some traction. Thru May MKZ +42% and MKX +18%. The MKC is coming and should do very well for them in the Compact Luxury CUV segment.
Old 07-02-14, 07:51 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I wasn't trying to be rude.....don't take it the wrong way. And I agree that many Lincoln products are rather unimpressive....I was not thrilled with either the MKT, MKS, MKX, or MKZ when I did full-reviews on all four of them. All four, IMO, were mediocre-driving vehicles.

What I meant by the stereotypes was that, IMO, too many people and too many organizations, even in the auto press itself, come up with pre-conceived notions that certain brands and classes of vehicles are pre-conditioned for certain types of buyer age, gender, or income groups. Examples are small convertibles (especially VWs) for women and gay men, Buicks/Lincolns/Cadillacs for old people, small hybrids for environmentalists, Saabs/Volvos for the academics/professors and lesbians, Porsches and Bentleys for doctors/lawyers, Mercedes S-class for rich guys who play golf, minivans and some larger SUVs or soccer-moms, Corvettes/Vipers/Shelby-Mustangs for Macho WWF guys, BMWs for over-stuffed ego-heads........well, you get the picture.

BTW, the upcoming MKC, a small luxury SUV done off of the Ford Escape platform, shows some REAL promise for Lincoln. I've been very impressed with (admittedly) what little I've seen of it so far.....mostly at the D.C. auto show. I'm eagerly waiting for a chance to review one.
No worries. Oh and I completely agree about the media's and general public's preconceptions. Which is why I deliberately put Lincoln on my shopping list. I knew Lincoln and Cadillac both had new products on the market that I hadn't driven. (MKZ, ATS & new CTS)

Quick Reply: Mulally wanted to kill Lincoln as late as last year, Fields vows to turn it around